PDA

View Full Version : remote access to my library?

ejance
2010-02-22, 20:06
i have been told that it it possible to remotely stream from my pc running squeezecenter to my laptop anywhere. Is this true? If so, how?

bernt
2010-02-23, 01:05
Install Neoruter server and client on your SBS and the client on your laptop. http://www.neorouter.com

Download Moose http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/ and Squeezeslave http://sourceforge.net/projects/softsqueeze/files/ to your laptop.

In Moose preferences add your SBS Neorouter ip and the path to Squeezeslave.exe.

Start Moose with moose.exe /squeezeslave.

Thats it.

elziko
2010-02-23, 09:08
Alternatively just install SqueezePlay on your laptop. If by 'anywhere' you mean from ouside your local network then read this:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/ConnectingRemotely

dmbfan36_23
2010-02-25, 07:11
Is there a way to password protect access to SBS without setting up Apache and a proxy? Similar to how you have to login to Mysqueezebox.com?

nolesrule
2010-02-25, 07:29
In the SBS settings Advanced tab, then choose Security in the dropdown.

dmbfan36_23
2010-02-25, 08:47
In the SBS settings Advanced tab, then choose Security in the dropdown.
Thanks, I just actually went looking for it a few mins ago and found it...

ejance
2010-03-08, 08:01
it took me a bit until i had time to tinker and i have made progress, but do not have it completely worked out yet.

i opened up the ports on my router as instructed and i do have access remotely for controlling my squeezebox via "publicip:9000" in my browser.

i do have squeezeplay installed and can play my music, but only when i am connected locally. i typed in my public ip when choosing which library to connect to however there is no ":" to enter so i could not append my public ip with ":9000" as i did in my browser.

what further steps do i need to make in order to get squeezeplay to function remotely?

thanks again for all your assistance :)

bernt
2010-03-08, 08:07
I think you need to open one more port.
9090?

elziko
2010-03-08, 08:54
what further steps do i need to make in order to get squeezeplay to function remotely?

Did you see the link in my post earlier in this thread? It should list all the ports necessary... you need more than just 9000.

I don't think 9090 is necessary though.

bernt
2010-03-08, 08:59
Did you see the link in my post earlier in this thread? It should list all the ports necessary... you need more than just 9000.

I don't think 9090 is necessary though.

Squeezeplay is different from stream.mp3.

flattermann
2010-03-08, 09:04
You will probably also need to open port 3483 (TCP & UDP) besides port 9000 to make SqueezePlay work.

For stream.mp3, port 9000 should be sufficient.

ejance
2010-03-08, 11:33
i believe that i only opened up port 3483 for TCP and not UDP. will check when i get home!

i have been trying to get squeezeplay to work because thats what i know. any reason i should use stream.mp3 instead?

Mnyb
2010-03-08, 12:44
i believe that i only opened up port 3483 for TCP and not UDP. will check when i get home!

i have been trying to get squeezeplay to work because thats what i know. any reason i should use stream.mp3 instead?

mp3 stream lets you use any player like winamp via "tune in url" or similar
squeezeplay don't accept anything but an ip number as server adress,
so your DynDNS account won't help you .

Softsqueeze is more usefull in that aspect it accept normal urls.
So I usually use softsqueeze as remote player.

I probaly want to use sp if/when it actually produce any sound in Ubuntu

Honva
2010-03-08, 17:33
If you are streaming through the internet, I would suggest you to consider setting up connection through ssh rather than just opening the ports on your router. You are running into serious security risks. If people gain access to your squeezeboxserver, they could do a lot of harm.

pski
2010-03-09, 16:26
Is there a way to password protect access to SBS without setting up Apache and a proxy? Similar to how you have to login to Mysqueezebox.com?

You can also use Advanced/Security to block connections. If you turn this on, you will want a "generic" entry to allow access from your home intranet, eg:

Will allow any "local" connection that starts with 192.168.1

If you enable this option, any attempt to connect from an ip that's not on the list will be ignored (just like iptables or Apache "only from" eh?)

If you don't know the IP where you will be, you can leave a port open for VNC/RDP to the server so you can change the setting remotely (once you know the IP.) Note that I would not recommend using the "standard" IP ports for those programs; redirect them in the NAT rules in your router.

P

ejance
2010-03-11, 15:35
guys thanks so much. it was the fact that i didn't open up port 3483 for udp. now it i can use squeezeplay to access my music remotely and im thrilled!

a few follow-up questions:

what are the risks of having these ports open? a couple of you mentioned using alternatives to use because of this.

i have searched high and low for stream.mp3 but cannot find it. what is it exactly?

the one thing that i could not stream on squeezeplay for whatever reason were favorites on the sbs that were internet radio stations. i could only stream the music stored locally on the pc running sbs. not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to listen to my favorites as well. any reason why they do not stream?

pski
2010-03-12, 11:40
guys thanks so much. it was the fact that i didn't open up port 3483 for udp. now it i can use squeezeplay to access my music remotely and im thrilled!

what are the risks of having these ports open? a couple of you mentioned using alternatives to use because of this.

i have searched high and low for stream.mp3 but cannot find it. what is it exactly?

the one thing that i could not stream on squeezeplay for whatever reason were favorites on the sbs that were internet radio stations. i could only stream the music stored locally on the pc running sbs. not a huge deal, but it would be nice to be able to listen to my favorites as well. any reason why they do not stream?

You can stream to programs like winamp and itunes by pointing them to your server at:

http://<server ip>:9000/stream.mp3

Of course, you would still have to use the webUI or a remote Controller to select the music..

p

flattermann
2010-03-13, 15:38

That's great, congratulations! :-)

Well, I do not really expect the SBS to be tuned for high security. :-)

Any open port IS a security risk, because if the program listening on the port has a bug, it makes your server vulnerable for remote attacks. And if an attacker has access to your server it's probably easy to gain control of your whole network.

That's why I only open ports for wide-spread (and highly tested) programs like OpenSSH, OpenVPN or Apache. These are made for public access and are thoroughly tested.

For your particular purpose, I would recommend using OpenVPN (a free VPN solution for all major OSs including Linux, MacOS and Windows) and only allow SqueezeBox access over this VPN.

You can create some kind of "virtual SqueezeBox" by pointing your browser to http://yourserver:9000/stream.mp3

This new "player" will show up and can be controlled on the SBS and on programs like SqueezeCommander (on Android) or iPeng (on iPhone).

But there are some caveats:
- You need a good CPU on your server, because all songs will be transcoded to MP3 (a NAS will probably not work)
- There will be a delay between the commands (e.g. play/pause/next...) and their effect (because of the buffering)

tfish77
2010-03-18, 12:46
Hi, this blog post I wrote a while back might be helpful for you - it covers remote streaming, ports, and some other configuration options that might be helpful.

http://wiredformusic.blogspot.com/2008/05/squeezing-most-out-of-your-squeezebox.html

Enjoy!