PDA

View Full Version : Are you familiar w/ MOG???

sawdin
2010-02-22, 19:32
I just started listening to streaming audio on my pc about a week ago. I'm not thrilled w/ Rhapsody, Napster or Last.fm (though I haven't really listened to much of Last.fm), and I haven't tried Slacker or Pandora yet. However, while searching around today I came across MOG:
Guided Overview: http://mog.com/promos/overview#overview

It looks very interesting:

1) Most streams are at 320kbps, some at 256kbps.

2) You type in an artist and it creates a radio station that only plays that artist, not just 3 songs/x plus other artists you don't like. Want to add more artists to the station? Just move the slider over and you get more artists.

3) Fast/Easy search. Playlist searches can be performed on multi-artist groupings.

4) Social music networking. Links to pages of others who play artists you like.

5) 3 million song lyrics, which can be accessed from the main screen while tracks are playing.

6) All of the All Music Guide reviews are available, along with other reviews.

7) $5 per month, with a free 3-day trial. (Downloads are via Amazon)

I'm signing up for the free 3-day trial. I'm not sure how many titles they have or if the dreaded 30 second clips exist. It sounds too good to be true; Hopefully, they have not oversold their service in the Guided Tour that can be accessed via the link above.

JJZolx
2010-02-22, 20:20
1) Most streams are at 320kbps, some at 256kbps.

I didn't see this anywhere. Link?

2) You type in an artist and it creates a radio station that only plays that artist, not just 3 songs/x plus other artists you don't like. Want to add more artists to the station? Just move the slider over and you get more artists.

Nice service, but things like this are very software driven. If it were ever made available on Squeezebox, you can expect user control to be very rudimentary. Don't expect anyone a Logitech to code a nice Flash app for MySqueezebox.com that could do anything like the Mog application and control a registered Squeezebox.

or if the dreaded 30 second clips exist

?

sawdin
2010-02-22, 21:33
The MOG All Access service streams most music at 320kbps and a small portion of our catalog at 256kbps.
http://support.mog.com/faqs/mog-all-access/what-audio-quality-bitrate-does-your-service-provide

I also read a few reviews that mentioned the bitrate for streaming.

W/ Rhapsody, Napster and Last.fm, I'm always coming across tracks that are 'preview only' and only play for 30 seconds, if you want to hear the entire track you have to purchase it. I haven't come across any 30 second clips yet on MOG.

Also, the radio stations on Rhapsody, Napster and Last.fm have restrictions on how many times an artist can be played in a playlist, MOG does not have those restrictions (at least I'm not aware of them).

So far, I've enjoyed using MOG, but I've only been using it for a couple of hours.