PDA

View Full Version : Ipeng as a library sync agent

luga00
2010-02-22, 08:53
Hi

if you own the excellent iPeng iPhone app then then you are already playing/controlling a library of music with a device that is capable of playing selected albums/playlists from that library as glorified iPod.

Wireless (WiFi) syncing of iTunes tracks to the iPhone is (as yet) an unsupported feature so I'd be interested to know how feasible it would be to have this feature as part of the iPeng UI.

ie. you select and album or playlist in your library using iPeng and one of the options is to sync (send to) iPhone as an iPod album/playlist.

I'm thinking this would probably only be feasible if your library consisted of mp3's - otherwise they would need to be transcoded from flac or whatever on the fly and that probably isn't possible.

Just curious.

Russ

pippin
2010-02-22, 08:58
Wireless (WiFi) syncing of iTunes tracks to the iPhone is (as yet) an unsupported feature so I'd be interested to know how feasible it would be to have this feature as part of the iPeng UI.

Technically - simple. Even with the transcoding.
Practically - impossible. Apple explicitly disallows this.

luga00
2010-02-22, 09:01
Ah, shame - would have been very cool, I think.

Thanks for the quick reply, Pippin.

Russ

hunta
2010-02-23, 02:05
+1 for Android!

This is a pretty standard feature of the Android equivalents, e.g. Squeeze Controller.

RonD2
2010-02-23, 12:07
Apple allows Simplify Media to stream flacs, etc from a home server to be played on the iPhone.

What would be different for iPeng (which I use and really like)?

pippin
2010-02-23, 13:50
Apple allows Simplify Media to stream flacs, etc from a home server to be played on the iPhone.

What would be different for iPeng (which I use and really like)?

This isn't about streaming but about downloading music to the device.
Streaming is fine, downloading is verboten.

RonD2
2010-02-23, 17:29
Ah! Now I understand. Do you plan on implementing streaming to the iPhone via iPeng?

Also curious about your plans for the iPad. Seems like a natural. It would be nice to be able to keep the app running while browsing. Will this be possible?

iPeng has been indispensable for me as my SB2's display has died. I control it entirely with iPeng. You are doing a great job!

Ron

pippin
2010-02-23, 18:36
Ah! Now I understand. Do you plan on implementing streaming to the iPhone via iPeng?

Not plan, do :) Working on it right now.

Also curious about your plans for the iPad. Seems like a natural. It would be nice to be able to keep the app running while browsing. Will this be possible?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=74581&highlight=ipeng+ipad
Got a bit further in the meantime, do have an overall design.
Will look quite a bit differently from iPeng for iPhone.

I don't know what you mean by "keep it running while browsing", do you mean to have iPeng run in the background? No, unfortunately that still will not be supported by iPad.

RonD2
2010-02-24, 08:33
Great news on the streaming. I find the iPhone 3G to be surprisingly good sounding with good iems (using AT CK10) when streaming flac. I expect the iPad to be even better sounding.

I really regret not being able to run Safari simultaneously as I frequently would like to browse the internet while listening to music. I am extrapolating from my use of SimplifyMedia on the iPhone. Apple really needs to fix this. Can a browser window be opened in IPengPad?

Just a word on the iPad interface. For me, album art is not that important. I have a large flac library (700 GB) and so would like library access and playlist creation and management as priorities. I use a folder hierarchy to organize my library and use the "Music Folder" to navigate more than search or browse by album/artist.

I use random play by song a lot, believe it or not. Drag and drop into the active playlist would be very important to me.

I am really looking forward to this! Thanks again. Ron

pippin
2010-02-24, 09:20
I expect the iPad to be even better sounding.

I don't. I expect audio to be even less of a use case for iPad than for iPhone. You can't put it in your pocket, after all.

I really regret not being able to run Safari simultaneously as I frequently would like to browse the internet while listening to music.

Well, ONE possibility that even does work today is to open

<server-ip>:9000/stream.mp3

in Safari. This will open the QuickTime player which _can_ run in the background. You can then use iPeng to start the streaming and the exit iPeng and go to Safari again. Bit of a hack since you lose control while being in Safari, but hey, it's a start.

Apple really needs to fix this.

Yes!

Can a browser window be opened in IPengPad?

Now THIS is a really neat idea!
Could you file a ticket for this:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/
There's an "iPeng for iPad" component, yet I'm not even sure this only applies to iPad...

I use random play by song a lot, believe it or not. Drag and drop into the active playlist would be very important to me.

To me, too. Unfortunately, the Squeezebox Server enhancement request I filed for this was targeted at the indefinite future. Will have to see what I can do without that.

RonD2
2010-02-24, 10:29
I filed a ticket for the browser window as a "UI/usability" request. As you say, it would be extremely useful for both the iPhone and iPad.

Justme
2010-02-24, 21:16

What about a flick to add a song to a playlist, you know, like when you delete an email. Say, in preferences you can set one playlist to be left, and another right.

Then, whenever you come across a song you want in a playlist, flick the song to the left. If you have a second playlist preset then flight to the right for that one.

Alternatively, maybe the left is by default the on-fly playlist, and the right flick would be the user-defined playlist.

or... (too many idea's) if we are just talking about on-fly playlists, flick left is add to end, flick right is add to next.

Problem is, I don't know how the flick would work with the standard scroll left or scroll right that iPeng uses.

nolan
2010-02-25, 07:35
Pippin

At risk of sounding demanding do you plan to support ssh tunnels when you implement streaming (as SoftSqueeze does)?

This would be great for people like me that just open port 22 to the outside world for security reasons but would like to stream their music at work or on the move.

I'd be happy to pay the asking price for iPeng over again for this :)

Thanks for a cool product anyway.

pippin
2010-02-25, 09:15
Pippin

At risk of sounding demanding do you plan to support ssh tunnels when you implement streaming (as SoftSqueeze does)?

Can you file a ticket for this?
Would mean to include SSH in iPeng which could be reasonable.
Probably not for 1.3 but maybe later.