PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect

liffy99
2010-02-22, 06:40
Hi
I've never understood the complexities of IP adddresses, ports etc but every time I don't use one of my two squeezeboxes for a couple of days it has great difficulty in getting going again. I usually get there by setting up a network connection again, but this time I'm stumped.

1) The red onn/off button doesn't wake the unit up from scratch - I have to plug the ower in again. But otherwise the remote works fine.
2) I go through setting up a network connection. The SB3 establishes a wireless link every time.
3) It's set to obtain an IP address automatically but fails to do so every time.
4) I try manually inputting an IP address (but which one ? I just choose another number from the range - e.g. 192.168.001.068), also add the subnet mask and DNS server details etc.
5) Then tries to wake up Slimserver, screen goes blank after a few seconds, and that's it. No joy.

Curiously the IP addresses held in my Zone alarm firewall didn't match the settings held on my QNAP NAS server (I changed them to match but this has not made any difference). Also I can't use a web link to access the NAS box (returns a port not suitable mesage) but can get there by entering the IP address directly. Also curioulsy the web link to Slimserver on the NAs does work !

And my second SB3 works fine - and I can't see any settings differences apart from the obvious.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong ?
Thanks

osama
2010-02-24, 10:36
This is an issue that our technical support team can assist you with.

I recommend sending an email to support for additional assistance with this matter.

Please follow the link below the click on the Email Support link.

Please be sure to select the correct product in the product selection drop down menu.

Audio > Network Music Players > then select the correct Squeezebox product you are requesting support for.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/&cl=US,EN

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/&cl=US,EN

liffy99
2010-02-26, 13:44
Wow - they want more personal info than the question is long (I tried but kept failing - where do I find the S/N of the SB3 = there's a sticky label on the base with MAC code details but can't see a serail number anywhere).

Isn't there a UK support phoneline ? I start to get the feeling that over here we pay sky high prices with little to show for it.

p999t
2010-02-27, 09:40
There is a number for squeezebox products that is for use from UK but beware the telephone line is awful - they are using a VOIP network.

The number is: 0800 085 74991

Good luck!

Peter

liffy99
2010-02-28, 03:06
Thanks Peter

Well, I've logged a call with Logitech . . . .

Tried again yesterday - just repeated what I'd done before and used the static IP address route to input all the parameters again - it worked !
Came down to the kitchen this morning and back to square one - no connection (I just get the Waking up Slimserver / Connecting to Slimserver messages and then blank.
SB3 won't respond to the red on/off remote button at this point.

SB3 in the lounge continues to work OK.

What on earth is happening ? Signal strength in the kitchen is about 60% and the SB3 never has a problem establishing finding the network when I use the Setup Networking route.

Agagahgahaga

liffy99
2010-02-28, 03:39
Well, it's started again - but keeps dropping out and returning to a blank screen.
Signal strength varies every few seconds from a low of 54% to a high of 70%.
I've run a Network Test and again the results are all over the place - as early as 500kbps it starts to vary - one moment it's 100%, the next 0% and anything in between (the average gradually builds up).
Also it just suddenly stops responding to the remote - and a few seconds later starts again.
Sometime it reverts to the date and time screensaver, but no response from there (I have to hold the power button down and start again).

ghostrider
2010-02-28, 08:58
Sounds like you have some sort of wireless interference issue. Swap the SB's to see if the problem follows the unit.

liffy99
2010-02-28, 09:37
I wonder if its because the SB3 in the kitchen is nearer the neighbours network (but that's where its always been and it used to be OK). I remember you can change channels somewhere but can't remember where - would that be on the router (BT Home Hub), NAS or SB3 ?

garym
2010-02-28, 10:03
I wonder if its because the SB3 in the kitchen is nearer the neighbours network (but that's where its always been and it used to be OK). I remember you can change channels somewhere but can't remember where - would that be on the router (BT Home Hub), NAS or SB3 ?

change channels in your router (usually access from your web browser). google netstumbler and download this program. it will tell you what channels your neighbors are using.