PDA

View Full Version : Is there a user guide somewhere

Kuben72
2010-02-21, 14:11
My borther-in-law just bought an used SB3 and a new Duet together with a ReadyNAS Duo. He sat it up all by himself and got it to work with no problems at all. And it plays like a charm. He is really satisfied with it. So no problems there.
But today he called me and wanted the SB3 and the controller to show the weather forecast when they are turned off/in standby. No problems there I guided him trough it on the phone and after 10 minutes he had WeatherDateTime plugin installed on SBS and the Weather Applet added to his SBC. So no problems there either.

But my point is: If it where not for me he wouldn't had any chance of getting this installed and working. I can understand why there is no user-guide for the SB3. It is an old player and discontinued. But I cannot for the world understand why there isn't any documentation for the SBC/Receiver/Radio and Touch. I know there is a setup guide for the Duet. But why isn't there a user guide? I mean how should any new customer take full advantage of all the cool add-ons for the those new players if there isn't anywhere they can read about it.
But maybe it is just me who can't find them. So where are the user-guide that explains all of this?

snarlydwarf
2010-02-21, 14:16
But my point is: If it where not for me he wouldn't had any chance of getting this installed and working. I can understand why there is no user-guide for the SB3. It is an old player and discontinued. But I cannot for the world understand why there isn't any documentation for the SBC/Receiver/Radio and Touch. I know there is a setup guide for the Duet. But why isn't there a user guide? I mean how should any new customer take full advantage of all the cool add-ons for the those new players if there isn't anywhere they can read about it.
But maybe it is just me who can't find them. So where are the user-guide that explains all of this?

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/support/product-documentation.html

There is no Touch user guide there since it is not released.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Main_Page has even more information, but as it can get into more complex subjects, it will tend to get more technical.

Kuben72
2010-02-21, 14:32
You right. Of course there is no user guide for the Touch since it is not released yet. Stupid me.

I already know the documentation you are referring to and they are just not up to what a system like this requires.
Take a look at the so called user guide for the Duet:
The documentation is 70% setup-guide and then 20% how-to do the most simple things. The last 10% is for troubleshooting.
But no where is it explained how to add an applet or add a plugin to SBS. No where is it explained how to synchronize two or more players.
Oh and SBS is documented no where.

So I ask again: How should a new user with no nearby help figure this out?

P.S: The user guides for the Duet is out-of-date. The screenshots is not what it looks like today and the explanation of how the buttons works is wrong.

Mnyb
2010-02-21, 14:44
But the third party plugins have to be documented by their authors
that is not logitechs work.
Some of them link from the extension downloader page in sbs web-UI .
And provides nice info

for example SuperDateTime

http://gregbrown.net/squeeze/superdatetime.htm

Some of them provide less than this, but if they want folks to use their plugins they have to do some documentation if it's not obvious.

Kuben72
2010-02-21, 14:55
I agree with you completely. The documentation for the plugin it self is not Logitechs problem.

But that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about how do I add a plugin to SBS. How do I install an applet on the SBC/Radio and probably Touch when it arrives. Not how do I fill out the setup page for the plugin.

How does SBS works. Where should I look for this and that when I want do to do.... something.
If my SBS acts like this where should I look for.... what ever makes this go away.

And no - the wiki is not documentation. That is a place for geeks/nerds/first movers but not for a customer who has bought this is in a tech-supermarket.