PDA

View Full Version : Title formatting in Touch (squeezeplay)

ulvi
2010-02-18, 12:18
Why is it that the title format in squeezeplay (and, I am assuming,
in Touch) not customizable? I would like to have the same customized
scrolling title formatted as I have in my current squeezebox classic.
Currently on squeezeplay this display appears to have the fixed format
of "TITLE" only (unless I missed something). The other two scrolling
lines on the squeezeplay display are ARTIST and ALBUM, and as fasr as
I can tell, these are also fixed format (why can't I change one of
them to GENRE, for example?)

Are there plans to add this customizability in later?

yockers
2010-10-17, 03:42
Did you get anywhere with this Ulvi ?

I want to be able to list my tracks by "BAND" not Artist, which is how I do it on my Boom and Classic, but I can't find out how to do it on the Touch. :(

JohnSwenson
2010-10-18, 13:57
You can create a custom now playing screen saver using the custom clock applet (see the third party/ plugins forum for details), but this sounds like you want to customize something else. When you say "list" which list are you refering to? From the home menu what have you done to get to the list you want changed?

John S.

yockers
2010-10-19, 04:02
Thanks. I was looking to change the way the Now Playing screen shows the Artist.

However, I've since found that by SSH'ing into the Touch itself, there's a way of changing how artists etc are listed.

ulvi
2010-10-20, 15:39
I would like to try the custom clock applet when
I find the time. But at the risk of sounding lazy,
how do I, for example, set the title display to read:

GENRE: TITLE........Performer(s): ARTIST........AlbumTitle: ALBUM........Track: TRACKNUM........Length: DURATION

which is what I have it set on my SB3? Can this be done on
the Touch with the custom clock applet?

erland
2010-10-20, 22:33
I would like to try the custom clock applet when
I find the time. But at the risk of sounding lazy,
how do I, for example, set the title display to read:

GENRE: TITLE........Performer(s): ARTIST........AlbumTitle: ALBUM........Track: TRACKNUM........Length: DURATION

which is what I have it set on my SB3? Can this be done on
the Touch with the custom clock applet?

With Custom Clock you can:
1. Forward any title format defined in Squeezebox Server Settings to the Touch
2. Display those title formats on a Custom Clock screen which you have created your custom layout for.

However, it also have a limitation that it does not offer any touch screen support, so you will be forced to control it using IR-remote. There are two possible solutions for this:
1. Configure the Custom Clock screen to replace the standard Now Playing screen and use IR remote to enter/exit/move to playlist
2. Configure the Custom Clock screen to be used as "When playing" screen saver and touching it or using the IR remote will exit the screen saver and show the standard Now Playing screen which have the touch buttons.

Unless you want a scrolling text, there is no predefined layout to show all information you like, so you will have to design your own. You can of course base it on one of the existing layouts and just modify them with some more text elements.

If you are happy with a long scrolling text, it should just be a matter of configuring one of the predefined layouts.

The attached screenshots shows you two samples:
- The VU meter style graphics is made by jstraw
- The spectrum meter style contains switching artist images from LastFM web site through Song Info plugin to the left and spectrum meter to the right.

Both styles looks a lot better on the Touch than on screen shots, as you can see there are a lot of artifacts on the screen shots which isn't available when you use them on the Touch.

In both cases it's pretty easy to reconfigure which title formats you like to use on the text elements or even add more text elements if you like to do that instead of having scrolling elements. All configuration is made through the Custom Clock Helper plugin that needs to be installed in Squeezebox Server.

If you know how you like to to look like and can draw a simple image of it, I'm sure there are people that can help you configure it.

There are a lot more predefined styles than the ones included as screen shots in this post.

ulvi
2010-10-24, 13:55
With Custom Clock you can:
1. Forward any title format defined in Squeezebox Server Settings to the Touch
2. Display those title formats on a Custom Clock screen which you have created your custom layout for.

If you know how you like to to look like and can draw a simple image of it, I'm sure there are people that can help you configure it.

There are a lot more predefined styles than the ones included as screen shots in this post.

Thanks Erland for the detailed info. I am trying to create
a now playing screen which is identical to the default Touch screen
(with the album art on the left, and title, artist, and album in 3
lines on the right), except I want the title line to
display my customized:

Is there an easy way to do this in custom clock applet?

ulvi
2010-10-24, 16:34

Is there an easy way to do this in custom clock applet?

Maybe I should clarify a bit: I can see various pre-set
styles in custom clock that I can modify; and I understand
all I need to do is to put my string

GENRE: TITLE.........Track: TRACKNUM........Length: DURATION

into the "titletext" field in any of them (I guess I won't
need album and artist in the title field since they
would be displayed on 2nd and 3rd lines as in the
default Touch screen). The question is: is it
possible to pick the default Touch now-playing screen and modify *that*,
as opposed to the ones that were created from scratch by others?

erland
2010-10-24, 22:34
The question is: is it
possible to pick the default Touch now-playing screen and modify *that*,
as opposed to the ones that were created from scratch by others?

No, to my knowledge no one has done a Custom Clock template that looks exactly like the default Touch now playing screen yet. One of the Logitech developers also mentioned a few months ago that they planed to add more customization options to the standard Now Playing screen, but I'm not sure if they have done anything yet regarding this.

Since Custom Clock doesn't support command buttons, it doesn't make sense to try to make a style that matches the Now Playing screen in the small font mode but something that matches it in the large font should be possible to do.

It sounded like Rikk was working on something that could replace the Touch now playing screen in the 3rd party plugins section:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=82839

If I know him correctly, it's not going to be a screen that looks like the Touch but it might be another template which might be suitable to start adjusting.

esa
2010-10-25, 14:11
Dear,

I also like to have a direct view for :
- TrackStat : it is always necessary to go in submenu to be sure the song is tagged.
- the genre played.
- the bits rate

The possibility to erase the song by using a button on the remote or directly using the touchscreen.
All of this to have the possibility to arrange my music library.

Regards
Eric

erland
2010-10-26, 10:32
Dear,

I also like to have a direct view for :
- TrackStat : it is always necessary to go in submenu to be sure the song is tagged.
- the genre played.
- the bits rate

As long as we are only talking about viewing ratings, I think all this should be possible to configure through Custom Clock/Custom Clock Helper. I'm not completely sure about genres, is that possible to configure as a title format ?
To my knowledge there aren't any predefined templates that's just ready to use, but as mentioned before you can configure it to show any title format.

The possibility to erase the song by using a button on the remote or directly using the touchscreen.
All of this to have the possibility to arrange my music library.

What do you mean with erase ?
Removing it from a playlist ?
Deleting the physical music file from the hard drive ?

esa
2010-10-27, 22:10
Dear Erland,

By "erase", I mean delete the song on my NAS.
For example, When I ear a song with bad quality.

I re-encode my old tape, but sometime, I have CD version.
I this case, there is not other way to do. Only listening and mark for deletion or delete the song.

Good day.
Eric

erland
2010-10-28, 13:22
By "erase", I mean delete the song on my NAS.
For example, When I ear a song with bad quality.

I re-encode my old tape, but sometime, I have CD version.
I this case, there is not other way to do. Only listening and mark for deletion or delete the song.

Ok, I'm pretty sure this isn't possible with any plugin/applet today.

It is possible to add a 1 star rating to this song if you have TrackStat installed and it's later possible to list all files with 1 star ratings. This way, when you are sitting with a file manager opened towards the NAS and want to remember which files you were supposed to delete, you can just look in a list and then browse to the file with the file manager and delete it.

I suspect we won't see anything this which is accessible directly from the Squeezebox interface.

haschmich
2010-12-13, 15:45
Can you point me to an example how to access TrackStat attributes in lua scripts? I would like to patch the _updateTrack() function in NowPlayingApplet.lua to display the TrackStat rating.

erland
2010-12-14, 11:06
Can you point me to an example how to access TrackStat attributes in lua scripts? I would like to patch the _updateTrack() function in NowPlayingApplet.lua to display the TrackStat rating.

The below is just samples, I haven't tried that it works so it probably doesn't even compile. Hopefully it still gives you some ideas. There is no way to get the TrackStat title formats to the Touch automatically, you need to issue a JSON request that fetches them from one of the server plugins that issues JSON commands.

Alternative 1: Calling TrackStat plugin directly.

-- TODO: Make sure trackId contains the identifier for the track
server:userRequest(function(chunk,err)
if err then
log:warn(err)
else
-- TOOD: Implement loging that use the retived rating
rating = chunk.data
end
end,
player and player:getId(),
{'trackstat','getrating',trackId}
)

Alternative 2: Calling Custom Clock Helper plugin which will get title formats from TrackStat

server:userRequest(function(chunk,err)
if err then
log:warn(err)
else
local customtitleformats = chunk.data.titleformats
for attribute,value in pairs(customtitleformats) do
-- TODO: Implement logic to get the TrackStat title formats
log:debug("Title format: "..tostring(attribute).."="..tostring(value))
end
end
end,
player and player:getId(),
{'customclock','titleformats'}
)

If you get it to work, please post the changes you have done. Ideally as a patch for Patch Installer but if you don't know how to do that, just post the source code files you have changed and someone can help you to offer it through Patch Installer.

haschmich
2010-12-25, 15:00
Thanks a lot erland. I'm afraid this is over my head at the moment, as I do not know enough about the architecture and the dev environment to progress with this. Though in principle, it seems like a nice clear task to get going with, if only I had some time for this...

I had hoped it was just a matter of knowing the correct syntax and table names to access the trackstat data, and that it was merely for licensing reasons that a patched version cannot be distributed.

By the way, I thought there was a request issued for customisation options of the now playing screen at this page https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194 , but the site has been down for weeks now. Is this another way of saying "won't fix"?

erland
2010-12-25, 15:57
By the way, I thought there was a request issued for customisation options of the now playing screen at this page https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194 , but the site has been down for weeks now. Is this another way of saying "won't fix"?

You need to use http instead of https:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194

batka
2012-09-07, 13:55
Hi!

I wonder if still there is no native title formatting for the Touch?

I used a Classic for years, now purchased a Touch and I'm shocked, it seems it's not possible to customize the format of the 3 lines showed the by Touch, the "Now Playing" screen. For example I would include the Track number in first line, and the Year in some of the line at least.

Is this possible in any way?

Actually I have found there is a code in "/usr/share/jive/applets/NowPlaying/NowPlayingApplet.lua", but it's not so simple. I won't edit it.

Or do I need to buy Erland's Custom Clock plugin?

Thanks in advance

jezbo
2012-12-22, 02:19
I used a Classic for years, now purchased a Touch and I'm shocked, it seems it's not possible to customize the format of the 3 lines showed the by Touch, the "Now Playing" screen. For example I would include the Track number in first line, and the Year in some of the line at least.

I'm in the same boat, upgraded to a Touch because it's supposed to provide a cleaner signal path to an external DAC for my lossless files, and while I appreciate that this is the best solution for audio quality (though to be honest it's not immediately noticeable - though it might be when I upgrade my hifi), I do miss the display on my SB3 - especially the ability to configure it to show trackstat rating not just for now playing screen but for browing the library itself - while this may be feasible on the Touch with various (paid) plugins and complex configuration I haven't managed to get it working. I may even switch back to the SB3 and leave the Touch as a backup device in case my SB3 dies! I much prefer the spectrum analyser on the SB3 too - much more responsive.

batka
2014-06-03, 13:09
I may even switch back to the SB3 and leave the Touch as a backup device in case my SB3 dies!

Answering after 1.5 years. :)
I also switched back from the Touch to the Classic after 2-3 months of Touch usage, due to its lacking display capabilities. It's a pity that display lines cannot be configured on Touch, because it has better sound quality.