PDA

View Full Version : Auto Playlist for the Touch?

wimpf
2010-02-18, 03:57
Hi

Will there be a feature available for the Touch to generate playlists automatically after I put more music on the USB drive?

E.g.
Playlist for all Songs from the 80s.
Playlist of the Top 50 heared songs.

Thanxs,
Wimpf

Philip Meyer
2010-02-18, 06:08
Will there be a feature available for the Touch to generate playlists automatically
Officially supported by Logitech - no.

This is one of the areas of functionality that is most frequently requested (it is one of the first enhancement requests in bugzilla), but over the years Logitech has shown no interest in implementing.

Help is at hand in the form of excellent third-party plugins written by Erland that will meet your needs, but there is no guarantee that these will work in the future official releases of SBS. In fact, in the latest development stream (7.5-embedded that will become the next release), the plugins don't work (don't support Sqlite, and MySQL database support seems patchy).

The author of the plugins currently doesn't support the plugins, although there are many clued up people on these forums that use them that could potentially fix the occasional show-stopper.

luckyrolls
2010-03-01, 12:07
If I use my PC as the server, can I still use the various plugins?

TrackStat and Dyanmic Playlists and MusicIP integration are all musts for me.

I am about to pre-order a Touch but I want to make sure I don't lose these features.

Thanks!

Mark

GeeJay
2010-03-01, 21:20
If I use my PC as the server, can I still use the various plugins?

I am about to pre-order a Touch but I want to make sure I don't lose these features.

Thanks!

Mark

TrackStat and Dynamic Playlists are must haves for me as well. As much as I want a Touch, I will not be buying one until I'm assured these plugins work (or the core application incorporates those features).

aubuti
2010-03-02, 07:49

I don't think anyone can give guarantees at this point (certainly not me!), especially with a product like MusicIP that is essentially abandoned by its new owner. But I can say that at present MusicIP is working just fine for me with the SB Touch and SBS 7.5-embedded running SQLite.

As for TrackStat, as Philip noted earlier that will depend on either (a) a better implementation of MySQL than is currently the case with 7.5-embedded, or (b) the plugin being rewritten to work with SQLite.

erland
2010-03-02, 13:19
TrackStat and Dynamic Playlists are must haves for me as well. As much as I want a Touch, I will not be buying one until I'm assured these plugins work (or the core application incorporates those features).

First of all, do your part and vote on these bugs unless you have already done so:
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=142
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=380

Regarding the TrackStat, Dynamic Playlist and SQL Playlist plugins which are related to this, my current plan is to make them work with the embedded branch as long as it can be done with a reasonable effort and Logitech doesn't do something that makes me loose the inspiration completely. It's not a priority at the moment though, since:
1. They can't be installed locally on a Touch, they require a real SBS on a computer.
2. The 7.5 release of SBS which will work with the Touch will not be based on the embedded branch and they currently already work perfectly in 7.5. The problems will appear in 7.6 which I suspect will be based on the embedded branch.

snarlydwarf
2010-03-02, 13:52
Regarding the TrackStat, Dynamic Playlist and SQL Playlist plugins which are related to this, my current plan is to make them work with the embedded branch as long as it can be done with a reasonable effort and Logitech doesn't do something that makes me loose the inspiration completely. It's not a priority at the moment though,

FWIW, I'm using 7.5-embedded and even switched to SQLite.

I had to change some rand() to random()'s in my own playlists, and now they work. I haven't had a chance or the time to bother re-importing my ratings, and haven't given it a real workout, but my simple "this is okay to play at work" playlist and "this is suitable for an alarm clock" lists are working fine.

I do see some odd messages about not being able to lock temporary tables, but it doesn't seem to be serious since my playlists still work.

(But, again, I haven't dealt with migrating my ratings yet, it may be more complex then.)

Since the original trackstat was for SQLite (wow, now I feel old..) I don't think it will be a total nightmare going back.

So I don't think you'll have too much of a nightmare with embedded, but one never knows what mysterious things will creep in, so I understand your fear (it took me forever to turn off MySQL on embedded since I was afraid of losing my Dynamic Playlists).