PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 -- Please allow use of LIBRARIES feature

jimbo45
2010-02-18, 02:49
Hi there
To the Software developers -- For Windows 7 users the Library concept makes it really easy in defining a "Library" and then being able to have the "components" - such as Music tracks etc put on ANY DISK (or disks) in your network --making multiple disk handling totally transparent to the user.

This means you can organize libraries on different disks such as jazz, Classical, Opera, Heavy metal etc etc etc.

Using the squeezebox system as is you get a Music Folder option. Thismeans a "standard" directory in Windows which is restricted to a single drive.

I think Linux users have an advantage here inb that you can mount directories to a "mount point" so you can get a "tree system" structure.

Anyway if you could make use of the Windows 7 Libraries feature would be a great improvment.

Cheers
jimbo

andynormancx
2010-02-18, 03:02
While I agree supporting Win7 libraries sounds like a great idea, you can achieve exactly the same result as you can on Linux under Windows.

Simply create Windows shortcuts in your main music folder pointing at the other folders on the other discs.

P.S. have you checked that libraries really aren't supported ? I thought the OS presented them to apps as normal folders ?

jimbo45
2010-02-18, 03:14
Hi there
Thanks -- what a simple tip --Why can't I think of things like that !!

Windows 7 presents the Library fine to apps running on Windows 7 -- but say you share an XP or Linux system with Windows 7 then you'll only see the "Disk Volumes" and not the Windows 7 Library unfortunately.

Your tip was good. Thanks again

Cheers
jimbo

andynormancx
2010-02-18, 03:38
I was assuming you were talking about running Squeezebox Server on the Windows 7 machine, not only some other machine and remotely accessing the Windows 7 machine.

jimbo45
2010-02-18, 04:12
Hi there
Correct

Thanks again.

The bit about applications accessing Libraries on Shared machines was because I've got Photoshop on an XP system and would like to be able to access photos on the W7 machine in Libraries rather than in discrete directories.

(I can't move the Photoshop CS4 system from the XP system to W7 yet - 300 USD for another license - and there's some legacy stuff that still needs XP so I can't replace the XP system either).

Cheers
jimbo