Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jac
    • Jun 2008

Itunes Genius how can I have it in my sueezebox

I have been using Itunes quit a lot in the last month and I must admit I love the Genius function. It is simple and it does what I want when I just want to listen to certain type of music . Now how can I have this feature available with my home Squeezebox setup? has anyone ever thought of developing a plugin that would allow this?
  • bhaagensen
    • Sep 2006

Its possible. Search the forums for 'musicip'. Its not trivial to set up - but not impossible either. Again, search forum.

Comment

• johnas
      • Jul 2009

Music IP would be the way to go for sure. If you can't get it to work you can save your genius mixes as playlists and put them in your SBS playlist folder.

Comment

• Chunkywizard
        • Feb 2009

Or you can use the CustomScan/ Dynamic Playlist/ SQL Playlist/ Trackstat plugin route. I found this easier to set up than MIP but it still isn't trivial.

HTH

CW
        Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Living Room), Radio x4 (Kids, Play Room and Bedroom), PiCorePlayer (Office)
        Server: 8.1.0 for PCP
        Plugins: Spotty | Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music and Artist Information | TrackStat
        Remote: iPhone8/iPad Air running iPeng
        Music: Last.fm

Comment

• Jac
          • Jun 2008

Thanks guys. Music IP seems complicated. I am not techie enough for this. As for saving my Genius in itunes and than later (depending on my refresh setting) having it appear in my squeezebox, this is a step in the right direction, but it is not on the fly

But what I ultimately want to do from my duet remote: when I listen to a song, invoke the Genius functionality and within seconds have a playlist created in squeezebox and available for play. This feature is simply magic when you have a large music base that is properly tagged.

I love my duet, but I am now using my itouch with itunes just to get this functionality that I want badly in duet

Comment

• bobkoure
            • Dec 2007

You've exactly described MusicIP.
            Maybe find someone to set it up for you?
            Also - based on comments, setup's gotten easier (since 7.2 or so?). So, even though it used to be a "really hard - nerds only" kind of thing, it may now be loads better.
            Last edited by bobkoure; 2010-02-19, 13:46. Reason: typo

Comment

• papa doc
              • May 2010

All of which is fine, but say for sake of argument I don't want to install Music ip etc etc but I want to play my iTunes Genius mixes through my Squeezebox - is no one working on a plug in then..?

If not, how do I save my mixes as playlists and add to SBS..?

Ta

Comment

• pski

Originally posted by papa doc
                All of which is fine, but say for sake of argument I don't want to install Music ip etc etc but I want to play my iTunes Genius mixes through my Squeezebox - is no one working on a plug in then..?

If not, how do I save my mixes as playlists and add to SBS..?

Ta
                Maybe you should be addressing an Apple forum?

I wouldn't hold my breath but I think the question of "open" is definitely in Apple's court...

You could make a plug-in yourself but I think you would be subject to a lawsuit from Apple.

A new home for your comments might be in order.

P

Comment

• bobkoure
                  • Dec 2007

Can you even produce M3U playlists with iTunes? And, if you can, can you then use that playlist with some other non-iTunes software on that same PC to play those tunes, or are the tunes somehow locked up?

Sorry, I have no experience with iTunes, so I can't help you with any of that.

However, if you can get a working m3u, you can just copy it into your sbs playlists folder.

That said, MusicIP got a lot easier to install after those of us who complained went through the process. It's also easier if you're running SBS on a windows box.

Comment

• garym
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by bobkoure
                    Can you even produce M3U playlists with iTunes? And, if you can, can you then use that playlist with some other non-iTunes software on that same PC to play those tunes, or are the tunes somehow locked up?

Sorry, I have no experience with iTunes, so I can't help you with any of that.

However, if you can get a working m3u, you can just copy it into your sbs playlists folder.

That said, MusicIP got a lot easier to install after those of us who complained went through the process. It's also easier if you're running SBS on a windows box.
                    google "convert itunes playlist to m3u" and you'll find lots of stuff. It can't be done directly from itunes, but there are plenty of conversion programs.
                    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• Philip Meyer
                      • Apr 2005

But what I ultimately want to do from my duet remote: when I listen to a song, invoke the Genius functionality and within seconds have a playlist created in squeezebox and available for play. This feature is simply magic when you have a large music base that is properly tagged.
                      This is exactly what MusicIP does; it's much better than Genius:

1. Supports more file formats, not just mp3 and Apple formats.
                      2. It analyses the content of the music to find similarities, not dependent on properly tagged music metadata.
                      3. You have some control over how it makes mixes (eg. how similar music is selected, whether to have smooth transitions between songs, etc).
                      4. You can choose what music to include/exclude from mixes.

It's not particularly hard to install in a basic setup. i.e. just install the product, point it at your music library and let it scan. Then rescan SBS and it should work, as long as MusicIP client GUI is running.

There is more sophisticated installations (i.e. to run MusicIP as a service that doesn't require the GUI client to be open), but take one step at a time.

Comment

• Philip Meyer
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by garym
                        google "convert itunes playlist to m3u" and you'll find lots of stuff. It can't be done directly from itunes, but there are plenty of conversion programs.
                        Doesn't the SBS iTunes plugin support playlists? I don't use the iTunes>SBS import features, but I thought that when this was enabled, you just rescan in SBS, and it imports items from iTunes. I'd assume that would include playlists.

Comment

• garym
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Philip Meyer
                          Doesn't the SBS iTunes plugin support playlists? I don't use the iTunes>SBS import features, but I thought that when this was enabled, you just rescan in SBS, and it imports items from iTunes. I'd assume that would include playlists.
                          And I recall that one can save a genius playlist as a regular playlist from within itunes.
                          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                          Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                          The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                          Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• netchord
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Philip Meyer
                            This is exactly what MusicIP does; it's much better than Genius:

1. Supports more file formats, not just mp3 and Apple formats.
                            2. It analyses the content of the music to find similarities, not dependent on properly tagged music metadata.
                            3. You have some control over how it makes mixes (eg. how similar music is selected, whether to have smooth transitions between songs, etc).
                            4. You can choose what music to include/exclude from mixes.

It's not particularly hard to install in a basic setup. i.e. just install the product, point it at your music library and let it scan. Then rescan SBS and it should work, as long as MusicIP client GUI is running.

There is more sophisticated installations (i.e. to run MusicIP as a service that doesn't require the GUI client to be open), but take one step at a time.
                            Genius does waveform analysis, as well as text analysis. it used to be "tuned" to content apple had available in the ITS, but it's broader now.

in itunes, you just click the button that says "save playlist" when you're viewing a genius generated PL. SC will recognize it, just takes a bit for the refresh.

not as cool as one-touch, but it works.

easy enough to build both the WF analysis and PL gen algorithm into SC, logitech would have to decide its worthwhile to license the technology.
                            --
                            4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
                            Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
                            G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
                            Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

Comment

Working...