PDA

View Full Version : Any Good reason to upgrade from 7.3.3?

upstatemike
2010-02-16, 11:20
Trying to decide if I should upgrade from 7.3.3 and I am having trouble coming up with a good reason to do it...

-I don't use the Squeeze Radio and don't expect to get a Touch any time soon

-I don't use SqueezeNetwork

-I am not having any serious problems and any bugs I care about are not being worked on for any near-term release anyway

-I really like the analog clock on the Controller and don't want to change it or hunt down some plugin equivalent

Is there some super advantage to 7.4.1 that I am overlooking or should I just stay put?

aubuti
2010-02-16, 13:51
It doesn't seem like you have a pressing need to upgrade, but why not take a look at the Release Notes (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes) and the list of issues addressed (http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.4/tags/7.4.1/server/Changelog7.html) and decide for yourself. I know there's been a lot of gnashing of teeth and so on about 7.4, but it has also worked fine for a lot of people.

If you use the SuperDateTime plugin you may wish to upgrade. That plugin needed updating to adapt to changes made in the data feed from weather.com, and the author made fixes for the 7.4.x version of the plugin, but not the 7.3.x version.

Squeezed_Rotel
2010-02-16, 14:19
...with 7.3.3 that is. I, like you, have no Radio or Touch. I don't use SqueezeNetwork, only squeezeCenter 7.3.3. I've had everything running rock steady for months now.

maggior
2010-02-16, 14:31
+1. I'm running 7.3.3 for quite a while quite successfully. There are a couple of wierd things here and there with the controller UI, but I can live with them. After the trouble I had when I attempted various upgrades through the 7.2.x line, I've learned to stay put unless there is a real compelling reason to move forward. For me, compelling reasons would be introduction of a new music service or a new hardware purchase.

If it were just me or if I had a spare controller, I would consider trying it out to play, but now that my entire family has come to rely on the system, I'm not willing to take a chance of running into trouble. I have enough stress in other parts of my life :-).

slydog75
2010-02-16, 14:46
Personally I think the new interface is just much nicer and operates better.

upstatemike
2010-02-17, 06:25
Looks like an even split but I guess I will stay put. I was able to get SuperDateTime fixed under 7.3.3 and doing nothing is easier than doing something. I also feel that all focus after 7.3.3 is on the new touchscreen/facebook/twitter lifestyle product rollouts and anything new is just as likely to break something in the non-revenue generating legacy players as it is to improve them. It may be that 7.3.3 ends up as the high water mark for the legacy SB2/SB3/Boom products.

garym
2010-02-17, 07:06
Just to chime in with my 2 cents. I'm running 7.4.2 on a windows xp machine, serving a BOOM, duet, transporter, and SB3, and my experience has been rock solid. My wife uses the controller and I use iPeng. I run many of erland's plugins (superdatetime, music info screen, dynamic playlists, custom browse, etc. etc., along with xmradio plugin). I'm not suggesting you upgrade if everything works, but didn't want to leave other readers with the idea that there is something inherently wrong with 7.4.2. I went from 7.3.3 to 7.4.1 myself. I think most of the problems were with 7.4.0.

aubuti
2010-02-17, 07:29
It may be that 7.3.3 ends up as the high water mark for the legacy SB2/SB3/Boom products.
Maybe, maybe not. 7.5-embedded with SQLite has some nice speed improvements in the scanning and web ui that would benefit all players. And the smaller resource requirements would especially benefit those running SBS on marginal hardware, such as NASs and low-power PCs.

upstatemike
2010-02-17, 07:32
Good to know 7.4.2 works well for the older platforms (apart from breaking the analog clock on the controller), but still have not heard a strong enough advantage to make it worth upgrading in an environment like mine with no Radio or SqueezeNetwork.

upstatemike
2010-02-17, 07:37
Maybe, maybe not. 7.5-embedded with SQLite has some nice speed improvements in the scanning and web ui that would benefit all players. And the smaller resource requirements would especially benefit those running SBS on marginal hardware, such as NASs and low-power PCs.

I guess if it will breathe new life into my SliMP3 players then it would be worth considering but 7.5 is a ways off yet. I don't see enough advantage now to dive into 7.4.1 or 7.4.2

sander
2010-02-17, 11:22
I guess if it will breathe new life into my SliMP3 players then it would be worth considering but 7.5 is a ways off yet. I don't see enough advantage now to dive into 7.4.1 or 7.4.2

I'm in the same boat. Moving to 7.4.x in the near term won't keep you current once 7.5 comes out. Also I really don't like the whole apps approach, and changing menus in 7.4. Lastly when my server crashed a while back it reminded me how much customization I'd done to all the menus on different devices that needs to be redone. I have a controller which would presumably benefit, but its unclear how much at this point.

The superdatetime problems were a scare, but outside of that and possibly some of the services not working eventually I'll probably stay on 7.3.4 as long as my hardware holds out, unless I see some real improvements which overcome the inconvenience of upgrading.

bobkoure
2010-02-17, 19:30
FWIW, I tried 7.4.0, 7.4.1, had troubles with both (musicip and scanning in 4.0, missing artwork in both), and dropped back to the latest 7.3.
More trouble than going from 6.x to 7.x - for me. It may go just fine for you.
About the only thing I'm doing that might be a bit out of the ordinary is run Win2K server OS (seems to be a bit lighter on resources than 2k3, not using linux as musicip on it was a major PITA). Hardware's a bit lightweight, too (Via C7 / 2G memory).

dsdreamer
2010-02-17, 21:15
FWIW, I tried 7.4.0, 7.4.1, had troubles with both (musicip and scanning in 4.0, missing artwork in both), and dropped back to the latest 7.3.
More trouble than going from 6.x to 7.x - for me. It may go just fine for you.
About the only thing I'm doing that might be a bit out of the ordinary is run Win2K server OS (seems to be a bit lighter on resources than 2k3, not using linux as musicip on it was a major PITA). Hardware's a bit lightweight, too (Via C7 / 2G memory).

I think the best version of 7.3 you can get is 7.3.4 http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.4/, while the best version of 7.4 is almost invariably the latest nightly of 7.4.2 http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4

People naturally want the fully QA's version, but IMO that is a poor trade off against actually having some more bugs squashed. It's nice to have choices, though.

jimbo45
2010-02-18, 02:37
Hi there
Why not stick to the old Engineers advice :

"If it ain't broke -- Don't fix it".

Of course if you want any of the new features then a different issue - but I've been around computers and electronics long enough now to stand back a little and get "the early adopters" to do all the work and only upgrade if "opinion out there" says its worth it and the application is stable.

cheers
jimbo

DoomWolf
2010-02-18, 03:09
I'm in the same boat. Moving to 7.4.x in the near term won't keep you current once 7.5 comes out. Also I really don't like the whole apps approach, and changing menus in 7.4. Lastly when my server crashed a while back it reminded me how much customization I'd done to all the menus on different devices that needs to be redone. I have a controller which would presumably benefit, but its unclear how much at this point.

The superdatetime problems were a scare, but outside of that and possibly some of the services not working eventually I'll probably stay on 7.3.4 as long as my hardware holds out, unless I see some real improvements which overcome the inconvenience of upgrading.

That's pretty much my feelings as well. I'm on 7.3.4 (with SB3, Boom, Controller and iPeng) and I don't get the whole apps concept for Squeezebox. I have no need for social networking (what does it have to do with playing music?) and I just don't have the appetite for re-customizing SBS and relearning the Controller interface (the button changes I've read on the wiki just don't seem intuitive to me). I did have SuperDateTime running on the Boom and when it broke I simply disabled it (WeatherTime stills works fine on my SB3).

This is the first time I haven't been quick to upgrade to the latest version, but I'm just happy that I've got everything working as I want it in a rock-solid installation.

bobkoure
2010-02-18, 05:51
I'm usually one of those early adopters.
7.4 is the first time I ran into enough problems to just toss in the towel and go back to the previous major version (yeah, I moved to 7.3.4 while I was at it).
The speed improvements plus having the option of buying current gear makes me interested in 7.5 in spite of the 7.3->7.4 fiasco.
I'm hoping that that was just a matter of a release being pushed out before it was ready (hardware ship date to meet).

1ka
2010-02-18, 14:33
7.4 sucks for me. I didn't realise that the party mode had gone until we had friends round and everyone kept deleting other people's playlists.