PDA

View Full Version : US Music Services through US Proxy

Sike
2010-02-16, 06:18
Hello

I have had enough :) and want to access all the cool music services provided in the US.

Is there a known way of using a (paid) US Proxy to use my Squeezeboxen with Pandora or any of the other services?

I presume this is done through a proxy. Does Squeezeserver support proxys? Does the Squeezebox connect directly to the service? If so, can I add a proxy to the player?

And if that works, does anyone have a good proxy to use?

All the best

Sike

andynormancx
2010-02-16, 06:40
Yes Squeezebox Server supports and proxy. When you set it the players also use it.

I had some success using Privoxy and Tor, though I'm not using it at the moment as I got bored with fixing it all the time. Just using a paid US proxy instead might make things easier.

That isn't the only issue to deal with though, if you want to use one of the paid services you also need a friend with a US credit card.

Sike
2010-02-17, 07:58
Just gave it a spin with a proxy I found on Google and it works like a charm.

I took a bash at trying to find a decent unlimited proxy, but could not find anything decent. I need unlimited because I listen to local radio stations too, so I have quite a bit of traffic.

Any ideas anyone?

johnas
2010-02-17, 18:38
Just gave it a spin with a proxy I found on Google and it works like a charm.

I took a bash at trying to find a decent unlimited proxy, but could not find anything decent. I need unlimited because I listen to local radio stations too, so I have quite a bit of traffic.

Any ideas anyone?

You could look at a VPN service - some have both US and UK based servers so you have access to services that are geo blocked in both countries. You can get an unlimited OpenVPN service for about 60US$. This might be overkill though if you would only use it for your SBS.

bobkoure
2010-02-18, 19:24
Once you've got a Pandora account, does SB even check if the IP you're accessing it from is in the US?

andynormancx
2010-02-19, 01:59
Once you've got a Pandora account, does SB even check if the IP you're accessing it from is in the US?

Yes.

toby10
2010-02-19, 03:15

Yes. This must be done for such offered music services per their licensing contracts.