PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using NETGEAR RND2210 NAS

shacky
2010-02-13, 08:49
I'm looking at this for NAS. Use will be as SlimServer for Duet and storage/backup for my wife's photos from iMac.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122050

killerno
2010-02-14, 12:56
I have configures a few of those to friends and costumers. Easy to configure and upgrade both nas firmware and squeeze server.
The nas works well with other media players.

On negative side with it is that the squeeze server web interface is to slow from my liking.

Nosmo King
2010-02-19, 08:58
I have the ReadyNAS Duo RND2150 upgraded to 2210 (that's 1x500GB drive replaced with 2x1TB drives) and it has worked reliably with SB Duet for the last 18 months. It is easy to configure, maintain and upgrade.

Because the ReadyNAS Duo uses a SPARC chipset it can be a bit underpowered for some applications (note that the higher end ReadyNAS models like NVX and Pro use an x86 architecture which is much snappier, but comes at a pretty steep price jump). The SB Controller hesitates sometimes to respond, but in my case that's as much a problem of WiFi signal strength. When the SB Controller is closer to the WiFi router it responds quickly enough (some delay but not annoying). The real speed issue is on the web interface. The ReadyNAS is painfully slow rendering the SqueezeCenter interface. Also, depending on the size of your library, the re-scan could take a while. I have 30,000+ tracks and a nightly scan for updates can take 1-2 hours (which is fine for me - I'm not using it at that hour) while a full rescan (such as upgrading SC Firmware) could take 12-15 hours. Needless to say, I avoid doing the full rescan and I use the SB Controller instead of the GUI.

I also use the ReadyNAS for backup of a Windows Vista laptop and a Windows XP laptop, storing 10 years of family photos, and now storing and streaming HD videos from AVCHD camcorder to my TV through a WD TV Live box.

All in all I'm happy with the device as a home NAS and Squeezebox Server.

mps
2010-02-25, 13:16
I used a RND2210 for about a week. Unfortunately, it is very slow, and I just upgraded to the ReadyNAS Pro, which scans my library 20x faster, and is immediately responsive. That being said, the Duo worked alright, and was one quarter of the price, so upgrading was a bit of a luxury.

iPhone
2010-02-25, 13:51
I'm looking at this for NAS. Use will be as SlimServer for Duet and storage/backup for my wife's photos from iMac.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122050

It is my opinion that it is over priced, slow/weak, only has a 1TB capacity if RAID is used. There are much better choices available.

kphinney
2010-02-26, 10:04
It is my opinion that it is over priced, slow/weak, only has a 1TB capacity if RAID is used. There are much better choices available.

Like what?