PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Display Brightness

ajkidle
2010-02-13, 07:09
Do I need to worry about having the display brightness set to the max setting (4) on an SB3? Is this going to result in burn-in or premature aging of the display?

JJZolx
2010-02-13, 07:35
Do I need to worry about having the display brightness set to the max setting (4) on an SB3? Is this going to result in burn-in or premature aging of the display?

Some people may tell you that it won't. But I have an SB2, with the same screen and I allowed it to set in the Date & Time screensaver for a number of months at maximum brightness and the pixels at the center of the display are noticeably dimmer than those toward the sides.

Unfortunately, the choices for brightness settings don't quite align with my usage patterns. There are the following settings (note that 'Power Off' really means 'Standby', since the Squeezebox always remains powered on):

* Power On Brightness. This is the setting used when the SB comes out of standby and when a user is actively using the remote to navigate menus or through the music library. I set this to the brightest setting for greatest visibility while doing something with the remote.

* Idle Brightness. This is the setting used when a user is not actively using the remote. After a timeout period with no user input, the brightness shifts to this setting. Note that 'idle' is only in reference to user input activity, not whether music is playing.

* Power Off Brightness. This is the setting used when the Squeezebox is in standby mode.

My problem with this approach is that when music is playing I often want to read the Now Playing display. Which means a relatively bright setting, and (for me) brightest is best. But it also means that when the Squeezebox sits for 20+ hours each day not playing any music it will be sitting at this brightness level. Two less than ideal workarounds that I've found are:

1) Use the Brightness button on the remote to increase the brightness while listening to music and try to remember to set it back to a lower level when finished.

2) Set the Power Off Brightness to a low level and remember to power off the Squeezebox when not in use. This is difficult, as there's actually very little reason to ever power off the Squeezebox, especially if you have both the 'off' and 'stopped' screensavers set to the Date & Time screensaver.

aubuti
2010-02-13, 07:41
Another workaround is the Fuzzy Time plugin, which allows you to set the Date and Time screensaver to shift back and forth across the screen, thus spreading the wear on the pixels more evenly. A combination of Fuzzy Time and lower brightness when off and/or idle would be doubly effective.

toby10
2010-02-13, 07:43

Well, when people asked this question two years ago the typical answer was:
"the SB3's VFD display has a half life of 100,000 hours, so if you used the SB3 screen at full brightness, 24/7, for 11 years straight, your SB3 screen would be half as bright as the day you bought it".

The general idea being, other SB3 components will likely die before the screen does.

But with the rash of recent SB3 issues I'm seeing on here, including display issues, I'm starting to question the 100,000 hours idea. :(

Perhaps the screen failures are unrelated to the VFD screen itself, I dunno, I'm no electrics engineer.
Also, not knowing how many SB3's are out there, even what is perceived as a "rash" of SB3 issues may be a very small segment of the SB3 market.

upstatemike
2010-02-13, 08:04
I keep all of my players at full brightness at all times because when not in use they display weather, stocks, caller ID, etc. I have not seen any reduction in brightness over several years. (Maybe they will all suddenly give out at the same time?!!)

usch
2010-02-13, 08:56
I have a used SB1 which has the text "Problem! ..." burnt in by its previous owner. It must have been sitting with an error message for days, and the bad thing is that this screen is static and always displayed at full brightness.

Now when it comes to display something that starts with a "P", the first letter is barely visible. :( As is the right arrow symbol in the bottom right corner.

Well, when people asked this question two years ago the typical answer was:
"the SB3's VFD display has a half life of 100,000 hours, so if you used the SB3 screen at full brightness, 24/7, for 11 years straight, your SB3 screen would be half as bright as the day you bought it".
This would be true if you had the entire display lit all the time. Unfortunately this is not the case, the pixels wear out differently according to their use. So you have some pixels that are still like new, while others have already significantly faded, which is much more irritating than a screen that has become less bright as a whole.

A "clock screensaver", for example, is actually an oxymoron. It is all but a screen saver, it is more of a screen destroyer since it stresses a small number of pixels all the time. A scrolling display or one that switches between different screens should cause less damage. The most efficient way to save a screen, however, is still to set its brightness to zero.

sander
2010-02-13, 09:30
Plugins to the rescue!

Use autodim to turn of the display completely when you're asleep or usually away. If you sleep roughly the same time every day you can extend your display life by about a third!

syburgh
2010-02-15, 14:07
Set the Stop and Off screensavers to None and decrease the idle brightness (even to "off") if you are really worried.

Aware that VFDs inevitably wear out (think: old stereo gear) I've been doing this since acquiring my first SB player years ago and none of them appear to have dimmed in any noticeable way yet.

Good luck!