PDA

View Full Version : Touch emulation in squeezeplay

ulvi
2010-02-11, 16:57
Is the default squeezeplay (7.4.2) skin the same
size pixel-by-pixel as the Touch? And is the
UI more or less an emulation of the actual Touch UI?

bluegaspode
2010-02-12, 00:01
Its exactly the same code running under the hoods.
So the UI is exactly the same, pixel by pixel (just rendered on a desktop screen :))

usch
2010-02-12, 04:30
I was told in another thread that the Touch has different Now Playing screens to choose from, like one with cover art or another one with text only. I couldn't figure out how to switch between these. Do I overlook something?

Apart from that I suppose "exactly the same" means when something doesn't work in the desktop Squeezeplay UI, I should not expect it to work better on the real Touch, right?

bluegaspode
2010-02-12, 04:54
Apart from that I suppose "exactly the same" means when something doesn't work in the desktop Squeezeplay UI, I should not expect it to work better on the real Touch, right?

Depends, but I think this statement will be correct in 98% of all cases :)

Some people say, that the Desktop-SqueezePlay doesn't play sound - I'm sure the Touch will ... ;)

bluegaspode
2010-02-12, 05:01
I was told in another thread that the Touch has different Now Playing screens to choose from
To be honest, there ARE subtle changes of course.
If you look into the code repository
Desktop: http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay_desktop/share/applets/
Touch: http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay_fab4/share/applets/

You see that there are some applets (mostly related to setup stuff), which are different.
The 'Now Playing' is in the shared code repository:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/share/applets/

so I'd say that the Touch can't have more feature then you see in the Desktop-SqueezePlay.
Unfortunately I don't have Touch - I just looked at the code.

toby10
2010-02-12, 05:13
On the actual Touch you *touch* the album art and/or the text (artist, song) in the center of the screen.
This will bring up 3 or 5 different NP screens depending on what device is being controlled by the Touch.

So I guess try *clicking* the art or text on the Touch skin?

usch
2010-02-12, 06:14
On the actual Touch you *touch* the album art and/or the text (artist, song) in the center of the screen.
This will bring up 3 or 5 different NP screens depending on what device is being controlled by the Touch.
I'm a bit confused. Why would the Touch display depend on the player being controlled, not on the audio source that is currently playing?

So I guess try *clicking* the art or text on the Touch skin?
I already tried that of course, but nothing happened. Can you switch between screens using the IR remote? In that case there might be a keyboard mapping for it in Squeezeplay.

aubuti
2010-02-12, 08:04
I already tried that of course, but nothing happened. Can you switch between screens using the IR remote? In that case there might be a keyboard mapping for it in Squeezeplay.
Not at present, though it seems like the up/down arrows on the IR remote would be good candidates for switching the NP screen.

toby10
2010-02-12, 09:50
I'm a bit confused. Why would the Touch display depend on the player being controlled, not on the audio source that is currently playing?......

If Touch is the player then you have (currently) five NP screens:
1. art + text (default)
2. just art, full height of screen
3. just text
4. spectrum analyser (guessing about 40 steps)
5. dual VU meter

If Touch is controlling another player like an SB3:
- NP screens 1 to 3 are viewable
- NP screens 4 & 5 are not viewable

toby10
2010-02-12, 09:52
Not at present, though it seems like the up/down arrows on the IR remote would be good candidates for switching the NP screen.

Definitely. ;)

JJZolx
2010-02-12, 13:45
I just downloaded today's SqueezePlay 7.5 and it has all five of the Now Playing screens. Just click anywhere on the screen between the header and the footer to cycle through them. Maybe they're not in SqueezePlay 7.4.

Using a remote with the Touch, the 'Now Playing' button switches the screen.

usch
2010-02-12, 15:44
4. spectrum analyser (guessing about 40 steps)
5. dual VU meter

If Touch is controlling another player like an SB3:
- NP screens 1 to 3 are viewable
- NP screens 4 & 5 are not viewable
I see, I didn't expect that 4 & 5 would be visualizers. Makes sense that the Touch cannot monitor another player's audio stream without actually synchronizing to it.

I just downloaded today's SqueezePlay 7.5 and it has all five of the Now Playing screens. Just click anywhere on the screen between the header and the footer to cycle through them. Maybe they're not in SqueezePlay 7.4.
Cool, thanks for trying. Does SqueezePlay 7.5 run with SBS 7.4, or would that require a server upgrade, too?

aubuti
2010-02-12, 15:59
Does SqueezePlay 7.5 run with SBS 7.4
yes

JJZolx
2010-02-12, 16:02
Does SqueezePlay 7.5 run with SBS 7.4, or would that require a server upgrade, too?

It runs fine with 7.4.

usch
2010-02-13, 07:16
It does indeed. I just installed the current build and I am impressed, 7.5 it is so much better than 7.4.2! They even ironed out most of the kinks that always bugged me but were so small that I thought nobody would ever bother to fix them. That's really reassuring, thanks to the developers for paying attention to the details. I am now quite positive that the Touch will be a product that does not simply fulfil its function, but that customers will enjoy to use. :)

Some things that don't work yet (maybe some of them are server issues since I am still running SBS 7.4.2):

The applet installer seems to be currently broken.
No context menu for disk folders when browsing the library by folder, which means you cannot add complete folders to the playlist at once, but have to add each file individually.
No years when browsing by album or artist.
No track numbers in the playlist.
Image viewer auto-rotation treats desktop SqueezePlay as a mobile device.
Still no audio when synchronizing to other players.

As a side note on audio, it would be nice if the VU meters were calibrated to show the actual analog output level of the Touch (0dB = 775 mV RMS is the usual reference level in electroacoustics), but apparently they are not since they don't respond to the volume control.

Anyway, I am now much more confident than I was yesterday. It's a pity that the buggy SqueezePlay 7.4 is still the official version, because it gives a wrong impression of the product. So anyone who wants to know what the Touch will really look like should install version 7.5 instead.

JohnSwenson
2010-02-14, 16:43
The real Touch has some gesture recognition that does not show up in SP.

For example you can swipe your finger left or right which causes certain things to happen, this doesn't do anything in SP. On the Touch you move your finger in circular fashion to scroll up and down in a list, again it doesn't do this in SP.

SP does seem to handle vertical movement but thats the only gesture it seems to recognize.

John S.

ulvi
2010-02-17, 15:37
why is it that the title format
in squeezeplay (and, i am assuming,
in touch) not customizable? I would
like to have the same customized scrolling
title formatted as i have in my current
squeezebox classic. currently on squeezeplay
this display appears to have the fixed format
of "TITLE" only (unless i have missed something).
are there plans to add this option in later?