PDA

View Full Version : Use iPhone with wired connected receiver

wimpf
2010-02-09, 08:30
Hi there

I connect a Squeezebox receiver wired to a wlan access point. I disable wlan on the Squeezebox receiver. There is also a Squeezeserver connected wired to this access point.

Now I establish a connection between my iPhone with iPeng and my wlan access point. Is it now possible to control the Squeezebox receiver over the wlan connection between my iPhone (iPeng) and my wlan access point.

Or in other words: I send instructions within iPeng from my iPhone over wlan to the access point. There is only a wired connection between the access point and my Squeezebox receiver. Does the receiver recognize the instructions from my iPhone?

RECEIVER --lan--> ACCESS POINT --wlan--> iPhone
RECEIVER <---- instructions-working? --- iPhone

Thanxs,
Wimpf

funkstar
2010-02-09, 09:02
Now I establish a connection between my iPhone with iPeng and my wlan access point. Is it now possible to control the Squeezebox receiver over the wlan connection between my iPhone (iPeng) and my wlan access point.
Nothing, not even the Squeezebox Controller, controls the Receiver (or any other player) directly. They send their commands to the copy of Squeezebox Server running on your network or mysqueezebox.com, which then sends commands out to the Receiver.

Doing it this way means that older products (like the SliMP3, Squeezebox or Squeezebox 2) can be controlled in the same manner as the current players without any change. They are in fact still being controlled by the server. You are controlling the server with either the web interface, a Controller or iPeng.

pippin
2010-02-09, 09:35
What funkstar says is correct but missing a small point: Yes that works.
As long as...

You need to be able to have a connection between iPeng and the server (Squeezebox Server or MySqueezebox.com) AND the Receiver and the server.

If you use MySB, it's enough that both, Receiver and iPhone have an internet connection, they don't even have to be on the same network.

wimpf
2010-02-09, 23:46
Thank you for your answers. So I will try to setup this configuration.

Greetings,
Wimpf