PDA

View Full Version : professional grade router

TheLastMan
2010-02-09, 05:42
Having tried about 4 different consumer grade models in my time I am rather fed up of dodgy DHCP implementations and routers that overheat and/or need rebooting once a week or so.

Can somebody suggest a professional grade, bullet proof and stable router / switch / firewall with decent firmware? Ideally this should also have a ADSL 2+ modem included. But if not I can always plug in a standalone modem or adapt my current router for just the internet gateway role.

Thanks for any suggestions.

miniwaites
2010-02-09, 07:14
I'd suggest a Draytek - probably the 2820. Very reasonably priced too.

agillis
2010-02-09, 08:44
TEW-639GR

Mine has been running without a reboot for over a year. Plus it's the only router I could find that can keep up with my 15mb/15mb internet connection.

http://astore.amazon.com/vort-20/detail/B001P9XHHI

iPhone
2010-02-09, 10:31
Having tried about 4 different consumer grade models in my time I am rather fed up of dodgy DHCP implementations and routers that overheat and/or need rebooting once a week or so.

Can somebody suggest a professional grade, bullet proof and stable router / switch / firewall with decent firmware? Ideally this should also have a ADSL 2+ modem included. But if not I can always plug in a standalone modem or adapt my current router for just the internet gateway role.

Thanks for any suggestions.

My position is to get a WiFi Router that is separate from your Internet Modem. A Linksys WiFi Router that can have outside firmware loaded on it something like Tomato should work.

andynormancx
2010-02-09, 10:37
I'd suggest a Draytek - probably the 2820. Very reasonably priced too.
I wouldn't.

I moved to a Draytek 2820 after trying a series of other consumer level routers. They all suffered from similar issues, with DHCP not working reliably when using a large number of wifi clients.

I gave up in the end and moved my DHCP onto an old 333MHz PII Linux server, which can cope where the modern routers seemingly can't. I'm still using the Draytek, as apart from the DHCP it was the best at dealing with a large number of wifi clients) although now I've moved my SBs onto powerline ethernet I could probably go back to something cheaper.

JJZolx
2010-02-09, 12:15
You're not going to find anything remotely "professional" grade with router, firewall, switch, and ADSL modem all in one.

mortslim
2010-02-09, 12:36
I just upgraded from a Linksys WRT54G to a Linksys WRT610N, ver 2. I am very pleased with the upgrade. I highly recommend this router.

The version 2 is the currently shipping version from Amazon.

I had some weak points in my G network before the upgrade. Now it is all solid.

This new router also has a simultaneous N band and I now use it for my AppleTV. My feeling was that my AppleTV wasn't playing nicely with my six squeezeboxes, iPod Touch, Sirius Stiletto 2, Motorola Droid and two G wifi security cameras. Now that the AppleTV is on the separate N band, all the other devices are getting better signals.

Also this new router has giga ports. That is good for local networking between wired giga port computers for file transfers or if you are using a server with giga ports.

cooppw02
2010-02-09, 15:26
A Linksys WiFi Router that can have outside firmware loaded on it something like Tomato should work.

Specifically, the Linksys WRT54GL. The trailing 'L' denotes compatibility with 3rd party firmware. I have mine loaded with DD-WRT, and it's been rock-solid for years.

bobkoure
2010-02-10, 08:34
I think I'd use a Snapgear 300 series for a firewall, something wireless for a wireless access point, and a separate modem.
I put these in at client sites, where they're rock solid, plus I've personally been using a Snapgear 560 for quite a few years now (this model does fail-over - useful for me as I have multiple connections to the internet -, and, as well, has a separate processor for doing encrypt/decrypt on multiple busy IPSEC connections).
Snapgear's been successively acquired by a number of increasingly-larger companies over the years, but, through all that, they've continued to provide free firmware updates. They're also really good about supporting open source work. If you check out s/wan, for instance, you'll see snapgear engineers working there.

I've had to reboot once in eight (nine?) years. I think that may have been a power surge. Got a power conditioning UPS and haven't had an issue in the last five or six.

What else? IPSEC's easy to setup, PPTP (server and client) rock solid. Ditto L2TP. Built-in SNORT, plus intrusion detection, which can use SNORT rules or simple "detect port scanning" and go dark for that IP if a rule matches (SNORT's just a reporting system, so this is SNORT + action)

I'm a DD-WRT fan, too, but, compared to these boxes it isn't even close. However, WRT may be enough for your needs.

lancepr
2010-02-11, 17:09
Back when I worked in IT, we used a lot of watchguard products are they were great.

You a pay more, but if you really need better performance/reliability this will do it.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1587371