PDA

View Full Version : Sound Quality - standalone

tank121
2010-02-09, 03:38
I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that when using just the touch and external HD compared to say touch and a PC as a server there is a drop in sound quality.

Does this happen when using the coaxial out on the touch into an external dac ?

This could be vital in my plans for getting rid of my desktop PC

Thanks in advance

Phil Leigh
2010-02-09, 03:53
I'm sure I've read on here somewhere that when using just the touch and external HD compared to say touch and a PC as a server there is a drop in sound quality.

Does this happen when using the coaxial out on the touch into an external dac ?

This could be vital in my plans for getting rid of my desktop PC

Thanks in advance

I'd like to know where you saw that?
There are highly theoretical pros and cons:
jitter or RFI/EMI caused by noise/earthing via ethernet or noise from wi-fi card vs noise from usb...

In practice on my system they sound the same.

tank121
2010-02-09, 04:06
Thanks for the clarification Phil.

So it looks like it will be out with the desktop pc.

In with a new external HD and touch and keep my Dell 17" laptop

Phil Leigh
2010-02-09, 04:16

Bear in mind that Touch sbs can't transcode so your music needs to be in a suitable format (e.g. flac)

toby10
2010-02-09, 05:45

If you mean using your laptop as the SBS server, yes.
If you mean using your laptop to control the Touch server it can't do this, there is no computer UI for the inbuilt Touch server.

garym
2010-02-09, 06:24
If you mean using your laptop as the SBS server, yes.
If you mean using your laptop to control the Touch server it can't do this, there is no computer UI for the inbuilt Touch server.

Couldn't one use the SQUEEZEPLAY running on the laptop to control the TOUCH from the laptop. In essence, isn't SQUEEZEPLAY functioning as a CONTROLLER. Can't test cause I don't have a TOUCH, but seems like this would work well.

EDIT: I use squeezeplay on my laptop to control several of my players, even though I'm running SbS on a separate home computer serving my music. I just like the interface and volume granularity on squeezeplay vs the web UI.

tank121
2010-02-09, 06:38
My intention is to copy my existing flac library onto the external HD and then attach it to the touch. I take it the touch will build up the catalogue and play these tunes.

In future I will use EAC on my laptop to convert cd's and then copy the new flac files to the external hd.

Will I then just need run a rescan music on the touch directly ?

aubuti
2010-02-09, 06:39
Couldn't one use the SQUEEZEPLAY running on the laptop to control the TOUCH from the laptop. In essence, isn't SQUEEZEPLAY functioning as a CONTROLLER. Can't test cause I don't have a TOUCH, but seems like this would work well.
Yes, that would work just fine.

aubuti
2010-02-09, 06:41
Will I then just need run a rescan music on the touch directly ?
Even better: the new scanner has the option of auto-detecting additions to the library.

ModelCitizen
2010-02-09, 07:56
As it is designed at the moment the Touch can do nothing *but* scan your *whole* USB drive. So if you use the drive for anything else (i.e. backup of documents/computer etc) Touch will scan these files too, which will slow down the scan and cam put crap into your library (i.e. if you hold other music files in your backup folders).

MC

toby10
2010-02-09, 12:48

EDIT: I use squeezeplay on my laptop to control several of my players, even though I'm running SbS on a separate home computer serving my music. I just like the interface and volume granularity on squeezeplay vs the web UI.

I presume so, as aubuti eluded too. I don't use the software players myself.
I just didn't want the OP thinking he had web UI control like that offered in the full SBS server.

garym
2010-02-09, 16:08
I presume so, as aubuti eluded too. I don't use the software players myself.
I just didn't want the OP thinking he had web UI control like that offered in the full SBS server.

agree with your point. but to emphasize my point, I don't use SQUEEZEPLAY as a software "player". I truly use it as simply a "controller" that happens to reside on my laptop computer. It controls my Transporter and DUET Receiver, which are synched. I have the ipeng on my iphone (which I use around the house) and the regular controller that came with the duet (which I rarely use). But since I'm sitting at my kitchen table with my laptop open working/playing, I find the squeezeplay controller just the ticket....

JohnSwenson
2010-02-09, 16:23
Desktop Squeezeplay does in fact control the Touch (as well as everything else). The latest versions have a skin that duplicates the Touch UI (well mostly) so the user experience should be similar to using the Touch directly.

John S.

liorms
2010-02-13, 09:46
Phil and others,

Sorry to re-qualify this , still it is an important factor for me:
1. I understand that the SB touch version supports direct attachment of USB HDD and not only limited size DOK, can you confirm?
2. What is the maximum capacity for the that attached HDD?
3. Does the SB touch support 24\96 while being connected native to the USB HDD? (or maybe there is a need for PC server while doing hirez 24\96?).

Thanks,

Lior./

JohnSwenson
2010-02-13, 17:12
Phil and others,

Sorry to re-qualify this , still it is an important factor for me:
1. I understand that the SB touch version supports direct attachment of USB HDD and not only limited size DOK, can you confirm?
2. What is the maximum capacity for the that attached HDD?
3. Does the SB touch support 24\96 while being connected native to the USB HDD? (or maybe there is a need for PC server while doing hirez 24\96?).

Thanks,

Lior./

1: Yes TinySBS can read large USB HDDs as well as flash "USB sticks"

2: I'm not sure what the maximum capacity is, people have successfully used 2TB USB disks with it. If you do plug in a 2TB disk full of music files (a VERY large collection) it will take a long time to do the initial full scan but ti will work.

3: Yes it will play 24/96 files from a USB HDD connected to the Touch.

liorms
2010-02-14, 13:20
1: Yes TinySBS can read large USB HDDs as well as flash "USB sticks"

2: I'm not sure what the maximum capacity is, people have successfully used 2TB USB disks with it. If you do plug in a 2TB disk full of music files (a VERY large collection) it will take a long time to do the initial full scan but ti will work.

3: Yes it will play 24/96 files from a USB HDD connected to the Touch.

Thanks John,

Appreciate your quick response.

Lior./