PDA

View Full Version : Touch as remote controller - interesting logitech video

bluegaspode
2010-02-07, 03:58
By chance saw a logitech video on the german amazon site:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/mpd/permalink/m3EVJHHUALRC9U
(you don't need to understand english ;) )

If you look a it you see a man sitting on his couch holding a Touch in its hand and using it 'just' as a controller (at 00:20-00:35).

First thought that this wasn't possible (because the Touch doesn't have a battery as far as I know) but if you look very close you can see that there even is a power caple will hidden under the arms of the man.
Some seconds very shortly you even see the Touch from the back (00:32) again with a barely noticable power cable because the eye of course follows the other action on the screen (only realized that after watching the video twice).

As one user recently posted about deceptive marketing ... isn't this deceptive and will make customers believe the Touch to be a simple remote Controller?

I'm at least a bit wondering about this questionable presentation of the Touch.

*sigh* ... marketing ...

erland
2010-02-07, 08:01
As one user recently posted about deceptive marketing ... isn't this deceptive and will make customers believe the Touch to be a simple remote Controller?

*sigh* ... marketing ...

Well, it's not like Logitech is the only company that tries to show their products strengths in the commercial and try to hide it weaknesses.

In this case the strength would be the touch screen and its weakness would be cables behind it.

It's a bit strange that they don't show that it can actually play music since it does that a lot better than all the other devices shown in the commercial. At least I didn't see any audio cables connected to it in the video, just a power cable as far as I saw.

Danione
2010-02-07, 19:45
No, I don't consider that to be deceptive at all. That huge ferrite thingy on the power cable is pretty obvious to anyone watching that video. Er, or to most, as it were

bluegaspode
2010-02-08, 00:19
That huge ferrite thingy on the power cable is pretty obvious to anyone watching that video.

Am I just blind and do other people also think that its obvious ?
Then I'll promise I'll buy new glasses !

funkstar
2010-02-08, 01:16
At first it isn't ovious the Touch is mains powered, however, when the camera pans round to his front, and he is holding the device out in front it is very obvious to me there is a power cable there.

alfista
2010-02-08, 02:35
Then again, anyone up to speed o the Touch knows that there would have to be a cable and knows what to look for. True, it's visible in the second part of that sequence, but in the first part the advertising blurb is placed so that the cable is (almost) hidden.

Oh well, visible or not. I agree that the ad is questionable since it shows the Touch used in a way that gives a skewed picture of what a Touch is. Of all possible use cases for a Touch I think having it in your lap as a remote controller will be among the least common. This might IMHO lead to misunderstandings that are anything but beneficial for Logitech.

dave77
2010-02-08, 03:28

What's even more deceptive is that he actually has a Touch in his hand :)

Danione
2010-02-08, 07:10
Very true, alfista. They seem to be marketing it as a wired remote. That is what I'm getting from that advertisement.

iwannatouch
2010-02-08, 07:54
I fail to see anything devious or misleading in this advertisement. I expect many touch users will pick up and hold the unit when using the touch screen to make a selection. Otherwise, wouldn't it be prone to slide around on the surface on which it is placed? I don't think I'll be doing this, however, since I plan to hook mine up to my stereo and a 1-2TB drive, and control it with a droid phone with remote app.

Danione
2010-02-08, 07:58
I fail to see anything devious or misleading in this advertisement. I expect many touch users will pick up and hold the unit when using the touch screen to make a selection. Otherwise, wouldn't it be prone to slide around on the surface on which it is placed? I don't think I'll be doing this, however, since I plan to hook mine up to my stereo and a 1-2TB drive, and control it with a droid phone with remote app.

Well, hopefully it has rubber feet and some heft to it, coupled with an easily "pressable" screen.

If I ever buy a Touch, I sure as hell won't be picking it up to change the track. If for nothing else, then because of the strain it would put on cable plugs doing that even a couple of thousands of times. Toslink aren't really designed for ruggedness and strength, nor is RCA.

funkstar
2010-02-08, 09:11
Well, hopefully it has rubber feet and some heft to it, coupled with an easily "pressable" screen.
It has two rubber feet on the bottom, and the unit itself is fairly weighty. You don't really need any pressure on the screen as it is capacitive rather than resistive. so it's like a laptops touch pad, you don't need to press at them.

aubuti
2010-02-08, 09:13
I think the advert is showing a strange use of the Touch that most users will not adopt. I've had a beta Touch for about a year now, and I have never picked it up or held it in my lap to use it as a remote. This includes several months when I was using it only to control an SB3, and therefore did not have any audio cables connected to it. It has a solid base with rubberized feet, so it doesn't slide when you place it on a shelf or a component and use the touchscreen.

Obviously I don't speak for all SB users. Maybe some will want to use it as depicted in the video, but I have to think it will be a very, very small minority.

Danione
2010-02-08, 09:19
It has two rubber feet on the bottom, and the unit itself is fairly weighty. You don't really need any pressure on the screen as it is capacitive rather than resistive. so it's like a laptops touch pad, you don't need to press at them.

Thanks, Funkstar. That was what I hoped. :)

FredFredrickson
2010-02-10, 09:36
I really wish they smacked you in the face more with the fact that you can sync rooms in their ads.

What they need is a good party scene, where everybody in one room is listening to a song, but it gets too crowded, so they open the door to another room, and jam in there, but it's silent...

The host picks up the duet, clicks the sync button, and suddenly the music continues in both rooms.

A quick camera flythrough could show two synced zones, and then the kitchen with somebody fiddling with a radio playing seperate music altogether..

That alone is why you should get squeezeboxen, not just an mp3 player.