PDA

View Full Version : iTunes store purchases won't play

wakey
2010-02-05, 21:04
I've put this out there before, but I'm going to try again, just to see if anyone has any new ideas.

I have a Squeezebox 3 and a Mac. AAC files that I rip myself from CDs play fine. AAC files that I buy from iTunes--NOT the rights-protected DRM ones, but just the regular ones they sell now--do not. Both kinds of files have .m4a extensions. The Web interface for SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server shows the song playing, but the Squeezebox itself does not.

I called technical support about this, and the gentleman read me something about how "AAC files are converted to FLAC" and tried to tell me that this meant I had to convert them all myself. I don't think he was reading that correctly--I think he meant SC/SS did the transcoding on the fly. But maybe I'm wrong. Am I?

A related issue is that every time I try to play one of these songs, it spawns a "faad" process that consumes a ridiculous amount of my CPU. I end up with 3 or 4 of these processes and my Mac slows way down.

I see that the settings for file types, under AAC, offer 3 choices for "stream format." Which one does it use? Also, I see all three choices have "faad" as part of the associated decoder. I don't remember that it used to say that--I think it just used to say "lame." Can I go back to that?

Sorry to go on so long--this is just frustrating.

Mnyb
2010-02-05, 23:03
What are you running sbs on PC, NAS, MAC?
What OS (be specific)?
What version of sbs exactly?
Have you tried 7.4.2 version ?

Is flac installed on your system ?
Is faad installed ?

Does these AAC plays on software players on the same computesr as sbs is running on ?

Do you have any server.log files:
a. when you are playing an ok AAC file.
b. when you are playing an non ok file.

Now I'm out of ideas, i got no AAC files myself can not participate in this bug hunt :)

garym
2010-02-06, 05:10
I've chimed in on this before, but can't offer any help. Except I can confirm that I have PURCHASED (not protected) AAC files from the ITUNES store that play fine on my SB's (duet, boom, transporter, SB3). I'm running 7.4.2 on windows XP machine. Other than some dynamic playlist, custom browse plugins, I've not done anything special under the hood on 7.4.2. The file types of these purchased AACs are "m4a" if that matters at all.

edit: I do have FLAC installed on my system, but didn't have to tell SbS anything special about its location, etc.

flattermann
2010-02-06, 05:39
There was a problem in the convert.conf file of SBS 7.4.0 (7.4.1?) that prevented the AAC files from being transcoded correctly.

If you are still using SBS < 7.4.2, you should try an update.

Edit: Probably that's not the reason of your problem, because playing self-ripped AACs seem to work... Hmmm...

wakey
2010-02-06, 15:15
I was running SBS 7.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. I have actually downgraded to SBS 7.3.x in hopes of getting back to when "faad" wasn't in the transcoding choices (as far as I remember) and it just said "lame."

I don't know what it means to have faad or flac installed on my system. What do I need, and where do I put it? I figured I must have faad installed, or I wouldnt be getting those faad processes running.

The AAC files play fine in iTunes. And, as I said, they look like they're playing in the Web interface to SBS, so it seems like the server software must be doing something with them. I just don't get anything out of the Squeezebox itself.

I have the server logs, but I'm not sure how to identify where the skipping happens. I'll try and nail that down. I'll also try 7.4.2, I guess.

wakey
2010-02-06, 15:19
But thanks for chiming in again, garym. Your experience pretty much confirms that I don't need to convert all those AACs to FLAC myself, the way the tech support guy tried to tell me I did.

bpa
2010-02-06, 15:46
I was running SBS 7.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.2. I have actually downgraded to SBS 7.3.x in hopes of getting back to when "faad" wasn't in the transcoding choices (as far as I remember) and it just said "lame."

I don't know what it means to have faad or flac installed on my system. What do I need, and where do I put it? I figured I must have faad installed, or I wouldnt be getting those faad processes running.

Up to 7.3.2 (I think) Quicktime was used to transcode AAC files but I think there were issus with future version, so faad was licensed from AudioCoding (I think they own rights to AAC) and included in 7.3.3 onwards. For standard supported systems such as Windows, OSX and Linux - faad is included in the SBS build.

I suspect the problem is something with the file packaging.

Do you know how to use the command line ? If so then it is possible to just run faad on the file and see if it displays any message.

wakey
2010-02-06, 19:22
That's something I'd do in Terminal? Sure, I'll take a crack at that. What's the command?

bpa
2010-02-07, 02:16
What you want to do is run "faad" with the command option "-i" and the name of a file. It would be good to first try with a file that works in order to have a benchmark of a "good" file for comparison. Then try the command on a "bad" file.

I'm not that familiar with OSX so my terminology may be wrong.

1. Open a File Manager windows and locate the "faad" file - in the same directory I would expect to find sox and flac executables as well.
2. Open a File Manager window and locate a good file.
3. Open a Terminal window.
4. Drag the "faad" from th file manager window onto the Terminal window - I believe this should result in the full path of faad being added to a command line.
5. Add " -i " to command line after "faad".
6. Drag the good file to Terminal window - hopefully this will also add full path name. I'm not sure with OSX but ensure file had not been removed from source directory.
7. Select Terminal Windows and press return to executed the command line. You should see output something like below.
8. If it works - repeat but this time with a "bad" file.

/home/SBS/server/Bin/i386-linux/faad -i /home/xxx/albums/TestM4A/FriendofMine.m4a
/home/xxx/albums/TestM4A/FriendofMine.m4a file info:

LC AAC 237.563 secs, 2 ch, 44100 Hz

title: Friend of Mine
artist: Lily Allen
album_artist: Lily Allen
album: Alright, Still
genre: Pop
track: 10
totaltracks: 13
disc: 1
totaldiscs: 1
date: 2007-01-29T08:00:00Z
compilation:
unknown:
unknown: joergschwieder
unknown: ℗ 2007 The copyright in this sound recording is owned by EMI Records Ltd
unknown: ?z>
unknown:
unknown:
unknown:
unknown:
unknown:
unknown:
unknown:
unknown: 2008-11-12 01:28:43
iTunMOVI: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>asset-info</key>
<dict>
<key>flavor</key>
<string>2:256</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

wakey
2010-02-07, 16:23
Definitely different results. For an AAC file that plays, I get

/Users/Jake/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Bob Dylan/Modern Times/Rollin' And Tumblin'.m4a file info:

LC AAC 361.251 secs, 2 ch, 44100 Hz

title: Rollin' And Tumblin'
artist: Bob Dylan
writer: Bob Dylan
album: Modern Times
genre: Folk
track: 3
totaltracks: 10
disc: 1
totaldiscs: 1
date: 2006
compilation:
unknown:
tempo: 00000 BPM
tool: iTunes v7.0, QuickTime 7.1.2
iTunSMPB: 00000000 00000840 000001B0 0000000000F34A10 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
iTunNORM: 00000CE8 00000CE8 00002043 00002043 00027E85 00027E85 00000000 00000000 00043243 0000B326
iTunes_CDDB_IDs: 10+2CA0ECDE9C8F0E9FBD9CA22DFF71ECE1+7936783

For one that doesn't play, I get

themacbook:~ Jake$ /Library/PreferencePanes/SqueezeCenter.prefPane/Contents/server/Bin/darwin/faad -i /Users/Jake/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Mos\ Def/The\ Ecstatic/Quiet\ Dog.m4a

*********** Ahead Software MPEG-4 AAC Decoder V2.7 ******************

Patched for SqueezeCenter
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10602

Build: Apr 7 2009
Copyright 2002-2004: Ahead Software AG
http://www.audiocoding.com
Floating point version

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

Does that suggest anything?

wakey
2010-02-07, 16:29
I clicked on that Patched link, and I see this was a bug in 7.3.3, which is the version I downgraded to. I was getting the same behavior in 7.4.1, though. I haven't tried 7.4.2 yet--I'll do the same trick when I try installing that.

garym
2010-02-07, 16:36
But thanks for chiming in again, garym. Your experience pretty much confirms that I don't need to convert all those AACs to FLAC myself, the way the tech support guy tried to tell me I did.

definitely not on the converting to FLAC. crazy!!! and I forget, do these files play on some other player other than itunes. just thinking of something that confirms they will in fact play on other than itunes. not likely the problem, just trying to narrow down issues. not sure what MAC players are out there as i'm on windows.

wakey
2010-02-09, 18:41
They play in Songbird and Audacity, I just checked. I assume they play in Quicktime, but I doubt that means much. I'm not sure I have another player that handles AAC files.