PDA

View Full Version : Temperature sensor in Touch?

kevinwilson
2010-02-05, 18:20
Hello,

I've read on quite a few web sites that the Touch will have a temperature sensor built in. Does anybody know if this is in fact the case? If so, will applets be able to access it?

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinwilson
2010-02-09, 18:22
Sorry to bump my own thread, but I wonder if anybody has any information about this?

I'm planning on writing some applets to use a Touch as a front-end for my home automation system, and the temperature sensor would be a nice addition.

Who knows, I may even end up listening to music on it :-)

Thanks again

aubuti
2010-02-09, 21:46
I don't remember ever seeing a temperature sensor mentioned (though there is a microphone...). It's certainly not listed in the product specs on the Logitech site (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/wireless_music_systems/devices/5745&cl=us,en). Nor has it come up at all during beta testing. Do you have any examples from these "quite a few web sites"?

funkstar
2010-02-10, 02:54
There was a temperature Sensor on the original beta units sent out, however this has been dropped for production devices. It could have been there so the developers could monitor the hardware temperature when in use, or it might of been in the beta simply because it was possible, but then dropped later as there wasn't a great deal of need for it.

It has been suggested that you could use the USB port to attach any external sensors you like, providing you are able to enable linux drivers/modules and then write an applet to access the data.

FredFredrickson
2010-02-10, 09:58
I bet a plugin to access weatherchannel info wouldn't be too hard though...

(not volunteering, just sayin)

peterw
2010-02-10, 11:12
I'm planning on writing some applets to use a Touch as a front-end for my home automation system, and the temperature sensor would be a nice addition.

What kind of HA system? FYI, out of the box, Touch supports three different USB-to-serial adapters, so it should be able to interface a wide range of HA controllers.
-Peter

usch
2010-02-10, 13:10
Probably not when it is inside the case, it would mostly measure the temperature of the CPU and the TFT backlight. You would need an external sensor anyway.

kevinwilson
2010-02-10, 18:00
Probably not when it is inside the case, it would mostly measure the temperature of the CPU and the TFT backlight. You would need an external sensor anyway.
I had assumed from the way it is described on sites like http://dabdig.blogspot.com/2009/06/logitech-squeezebox-touch-on-way.html as a "digital temperature sensor for home automation" that it was designed to sense the ambient temperature, but it seems like they've got the wrong end of the stick. Funkstar's suggestion of a USB-based sensor is something I'll investigate.

What kind of HA system? FYI, out of the box, Touch supports three different USB-to-serial adapters, so it should be able to interface a wide range of HA controllers.
I've ended up writing my own server software which communicates with lighting, etc, using an Arduino. The Touch would communicate with the server using HTTP, so it wouldn't need to interface with a controller directly. Lots of possibilities, though!

NewBuyer
2010-02-14, 20:03
I don't remember ever seeing a temperature sensor mentioned (though there is a microphone...)

Just curious: What is the microphone for?

aubuti
2010-02-14, 21:09
As far as I know it hasn't been enabled yet.

FredFredrickson
2010-02-16, 09:42

To spy on what you're listening to... in the most inefficient way possible.

:)

NewBuyer
2010-02-22, 00:00
As far as I know it hasn't been enabled yet.

But why does the Touch even contain a microphone at all? Just wondering...

slate
2010-02-22, 04:57
To spy on what you're listening to... in the most inefficient way possible. :)

NSA are still trying to sort out the differences of the terms "smart" and "intelligent" ;-)

toby10
2010-02-22, 05:40
But why does the Touch even contain a microphone at all? Just wondering...

For the Clapper Plugin.

NewBuyer
2010-03-16, 23:50
For the Clapper Plugin.

You must be joking, right? :D

toby10
2010-03-17, 06:13
You must be joking, right? :D

Well the Clapper Plugin is still in Beta. It works fine until you play a live performance with an enthusiastic audience between music sets.
Then the Touch menus jump around and usually ends up deep in the Diagnostics menu.

That and hitting my dog with a rolled up newspaper when he pees on my couch ALWAYS ends up with the Touch switching to Donny & Marie's "Puppy Love".
This is UNACCEPTABLE! :)

iPhone
2010-03-17, 07:43
That and hitting my dog with a rolled up newspaper when he pees on my couch ALWAYS ends up with the Touch switching to Donny & Marie's "Puppy Love".

What's Unacceptable?

The dog peeing on the couch or the fact that you have Donny & Marie in your music collection?

NewBuyer
2010-03-18, 23:47
Well the Clapper Plugin is still in Beta. It works fine until you play a live performance with an enthusiastic audience between music sets.
Then the Touch menus jump around and usually ends up deep in the Diagnostics menu.

Ha! Maybe your puppy is actually punishing you and you didn't yet realize this. :)

Well, so there is a microphone in the Touch, and it was apparently only put there in anticipation of such a plugin - is that right? Seems an odd thing somehow...

toby10
2010-03-19, 03:54
Ha! Maybe your puppy is actually punishing you and you didn't yet realize this. :)

Well, so there is a microphone in the Touch, and it was apparently only put there in anticipation of such a plugin - is that right? Seems an odd thing somehow...

Yeah, I dunno why it is in there. It likely added little production costs to throw it in.... thinking "we'll find a use for it some day".
Kinda like the headphone jack on the SB Controller which shipped unusable but was later activated.

Ok, back to making a Donny & Marie compilation album for iPhone.

(psssst... just between us..... I'm going to include some David Soul and Leo Sayer, iPhone will be so surprised!)

Siduhe
2010-03-19, 04:00

When the concept of the Touch was first discussed, one of the ideas mentioned by SD was that it would interface with a wider range of Logitech products (for example, their digital security system, so you could answer your doorbell via the Touch).

As far as I know it was only ever a concept suggestion, but I guess the idea was to make the hardware capable, as toby10 says.