PDA

View Full Version : Can my Squeezebox decode AAC format?

rhswain
2010-02-05, 06:30
KKJZ (KJazz) 88.1 has changed something, and my Squeezebox (classic) no longer receives this station (http://www.jazzandblues.org). Other stations continue to work fine.

KKJZ says to use http://provisioning.streamtheworld.c...KKGOFM1AAC.pls but I get nothing from that.

The station tech guy says "Unfortunately, we are not able to offer Mp3 encoding any longer. You must have the capability of decoding the AAC format." Can my Squeezebox do this?

bpa
2010-02-05, 07:41
You do not specify which model player.

The SB2, SB3, Boom, Duet and Transporter do not support AAC natively and need a local SBS to transcode.

Radio and Touch do support AAC so they can play the station when using mysb.com

SteveEast
2010-02-05, 08:22
You do not specify which model player.

OP said "Squeezebox (classic)" so (s)he needs a local SbS.

Steve.

rhswain
2010-02-05, 08:22
My unit says "Squeezebox v3" on the bottom.

Forgive me, but what is "SBS"?

Does this mean that I will not be able to play the stream with just my Squeezebox connected to my network? I.e., will I have to have my computer running too? :-(

SteveEast
2010-02-05, 08:25
My unit says "Squeezebox v3" on the bottom.

Forgive me, but what is "SBS"?

Does this mean that I will not be able to play the stream with just my Squeezebox connected to my network? I.e., will I have to have my computer running too? :-(

SbS is SqueezeboxServer. Yes you'll have to have a local server running on your PC to transcode the AAC stream.

Steve.

DaveWr
2010-02-05, 08:27
SBS is Squeezebox Server, the local software that plays music files.

If you want your SB3 to play AAC streamed radio, you will need a local computer running Squeezebox Server to transcode the stream from AAC to MP3.

Sorry.

Dave

Apologies for repeat posting

rhswain
2010-02-13, 07:40
Yuck. One of the things I love about the Squeezebox is its independence from my PC. Sigh.

PasadenaDave
2010-02-15, 10:13
I have a Duet and I'm running Squeezebox Server 7.4.1. How do I get KKJZ's AAC audio stream to play on my Duet Receiver? Whenever I tune into it, the feed plays for 2 to 5 seconds (with no audio) then stops.

bpa
2010-02-15, 10:21
You can't without as local SBS to transcode.

KKJZ is using streamtheworld which used to provide MP3 streams for non Flash users. Recently streamtheworld seem to have added an AAC streams for some stations but in the case of KKJZ they have dropped the MP3 streams - this seems to be the choice of the station since other streamtheworld stations kept their MP3 streams.

Complain to KKJZ that they are losing listeners by not supporting MP3. They will argue about better quality etc. but you should tell the station that you will no longer be listening to them.

PasadenaDave
2010-02-15, 19:03
You can't without as local SBS to transcode.

KKJZ is using streamtheworld which used to provide MP3 streams for non Flash users. Recently streamtheworld seem to have added an AAC streams for some stations but in the case of KKJZ they have dropped the MP3 streams - this seems to be the choice of the station since other streamtheworld stations kept their MP3 streams.

Complain to KKJZ that they are losing listeners by not supporting MP3. They will argue about better quality etc. but you should tell the station that you will no longer be listening to them.

OK, now I'm a little confused. Since I'm running Squeezebox Server 7.4.1 on my NAS, can't that do the AAC to MP3 translation (or transcoding) and send the correct audio feed to my Duet receiver? (Obviously I don't understand what bits of the system are doing what. I have a Duet with SBS 7.4.1 running on a Synology NAS, btw.)

Mnyb
2010-02-15, 22:22
OK, now I'm a little confused. Since I'm running Squeezebox Server 7.4.1 on my NAS, can't that do the AAC to MP3 translation (or transcoding) and send the correct audio feed to my Duet receiver? (Obviously I don't understand what bits of the system are doing what. I have a Duet with SBS 7.4.1 running on a Synology NAS, btw.)

A NAS could be a special case, do you have faad installed ? or other transcoding helpers like flac,lame, alac etc .
You have to ask someone who knows the Synology, I don't.
Obviously some parts are missing compared to a PC install.

Sometimes an executable does not exist for certain hardware platforms mostly NAS cpu's , sometimes you can build or download a special variant.
Or in some cases the NAS simply do not have the CPU power or memory to run the transcoding.

You better ask in third party hardware forum where the NAS users hangs around.

bpa
2010-02-16, 01:47
You can check whether "faad" (which does the AAC transcoding) is installed by looking at WebUI Settings/Advanced/Filetypes and under the AAC type - if the Flac and MP3 options are greyed out or disabled then faad is not installed.

What model Synology ?
Are you using SSODS and if what version ?

PasadenaDave
2010-02-16, 19:49
You can check whether "faad" (which does the AAC transcoding) is installed by looking at WebUI Settings/Advanced/Filetypes and under the AAC type - if the Flac and MP3 options are greyed out or disabled then faad is not installed.

What model Synology ?
Are you using SSODS and if what version ?

I have a Synology DS209+ running Squeezebox Server 7.4.1. I am using the Synology build not SSODS - I try to keep life simple and only use the build provided by Synology.

Regarding the faad settings, in Settings/Advanced/Filetypes I have:
File Format: AAC
Stream Format: AAC; Decoder: "Native" (the other option is "disabled")
Stream Format: FLAC; Decoder: "faad/flac"
Stream Format: MP3; Decoder: greyed out, "Disabled"
Stream Format: PCM; Decoder: faad

I'm fairly sure that I didn't install anything special, simply the SBS 7.4.1 build from Synology.

bpa
2010-02-17, 00:48
It looks a copy of faad is installed so if synology have built the correct version of faad (there are patches and for a 209 it probably needs a special compile switch) then the problem is elsewhere.

1. To check which version is - can you ssh / telnet onto the NAS and run "faad -?" from a shell prompt. The banner will give details how the faad was built.

2. What error message (and be exact) is shown when you try to play the following AAC stream using Tune-in on the Web UI.
http://www.somafm.com/illstreet48.pls

PasadenaDave
2010-02-20, 13:54
1. regarding faad
Ahead Software MPEG-4 AAC Decoder V2.7
Build: Nov 13 2009
Fixed Point version

2. regarding http://www.somafm.com/illstreet48.pls
When I play it using Tune-in on the Web UI, I get no error, it simply plays for 5 seconds (with no audio) and then stops. When I play it using the remote, I get "Problem: Can't open file". I turned on logging and this is what I get from the server log:
[10-02-20 12:50:42.6242] Slim::Networking::Async::DNS::resolve (42) Using cached DNS response 66.98.132.51 for somafm.com
[10-02-20 12:50:43.3071] Slim::Networking::Async::DNS::resolve (42) Using cached DNS response 74.63.47.82 for voxsc1.somafm.com
[10-02-20 12:50:44.6532] Slim::Networking::Async::DNS::resolve (42) Using cached DNS response 74.63.47.82 for ice.somafm.com

bpa
2010-02-20, 15:37
The banner for faad should have the "patched" message like the following:

*********** Ahead Software MPEG-4 AAC Decoder V2.7 ******************

Patched for SqueezeCenter
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10602

Build: Feb 8 2010
Copyright 2002-2004: Ahead Software AG
http://www.audiocoding.com
Floating point version

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

It looks like you have the standard version which can be used to play files but it cannot play streams. Whoever supplied the faad should build the proper one for SBS with patches.

ronlee
2010-02-20, 23:28
I have a Duet and I'm running Squeezebox Server 7.4.1. How do I get KKJZ's AAC audio stream to play on my Duet Receiver? Whenever I tune into it, the feed plays for 2 to 5 seconds (with no audio) then stops.

I fixed this by installing mplayer on the Linux box running Squeezecenter. I have the original Squeezebox. It may take a few restarts or reboots for Squeezecenter to find mplayer but once it does it seems to be fine.

Ron

bpa
2010-02-21, 01:36
Just installing mplayer is not sufficient. To use mplayer on any SC/SBS version you also need to change convert.conf or add a custom-convert.conf files. IIRC SSODS used to have these changes and mplayer.

I suspect it will be easier to build a correct version of faad for a 209 rather than finding a version of mplayer which also needs to be patched to run on a 209.

PasadenaDave
2010-02-21, 09:00
Once I understood where to look (faad), I went over to the Synology forums and found out that I have a disabled version of faad on purpose. Apparently, my NAS processor cannot handle the real time decoding needs of faad. Therefore, Synology provides the Squeezebox server build with non working faad application. Bummer.

Thank you all for your help.

andyg
2010-02-21, 09:11
I'm not sure what CPU the 209 has, but you may want to try our prebuilt ARM or PPC faad binaries to see if they will run.

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.4/trunk/server/Bin/arm-linux/

http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.4/trunk/server/Bin/powerpc-linux/

bpa
2010-02-21, 11:39
According to http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Is_my_NAS_an_ARM_or_a_PowerPC_CPU_model

209 has a ARM processor and the 209j, 209+ and 209+ II all have PPC of various speeds.

I think all of those can handle AAC decoding but if processor power is an issue disable encoding into Flac or MP3.

However, some users indciate that a 209+ II has a 1.2GHz PPC processor. PPC usually have a FPU which means processing power should not be a problem,