PDA

View Full Version : ReadyNAS Duo XRAID expansion lost music folder

breadvan
2010-02-04, 06:40
I just had the most unusual and horrifying experience on my trusted ReadyNAS Duo. After upgrading both my drives to 1.5T (Seagate hardrive from compatibility list), expand storage using built in XRAID, my entire music folder is GONE ! However, except for the music folder, everything else appears to be intact and functional, the drives also self expanded from 1.5T from the original 300GB array. Anyone can share a thought? No error encountered during drives upgrade.

garym
2010-02-04, 09:15
I just had the most unusual and horrifying experience on my trusted ReadyNAS Duo. After upgrading both my drives to 1.5T (Seagate hardrive from compatibility list), expand storage using built in XRAID, my entire music folder is GONE ! However, except for the music folder, everything else appears to be intact and functional, the drives also self expanded from 1.5T from the original 300GB array. Anyone can share a thought? No error encountered during drives upgrade.

I'd post your question at the readynas forum for a likely better answer:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/

Not to preach (and you may already know this), but as many will tell you, RAID is NOT A BACKUP. Your readynas could be stolen (thus all gone), burned in a fire, hit by lightning, etc. RAID is useful when you are a business that needs instant access (one disk fails and you immediately have the data accessible on the other disk). Music files, photos, etc. don't typically fall within this category. I myself have a readynas duo, and use it for file storage so that different computers on my home network can access the same data, but I also have several USB harddrives with the data that are stored in different physical locations.

breadvan
2010-02-07, 05:18
garym, thanks for your insight but I posted here trying to get an answer to my question, not a reminder regarding the importance of a backup which I understand and agree, and yes I do have a backup, but I thought people might have similar experience and could share some insight.

To this date my music folder is still missing although I have recovered the missing folder from the previous RAID set, still very unsettling for sure.

garym
2010-02-07, 06:44
garym, thanks for your insight but I posted here trying to get an answer to my question, not a reminder regarding the importance of a backup which I understand and agree, and yes I do have a backup, but I thought people might have similar experience and could share some insight.

To this date my music folder is still missing although I have recovered the missing folder from the previous RAID set, still very unsettling for sure.

I noted you may already know this, my post was really for others who might stumble on this thread. Believe me, way too many people think their RAID is all they need for any backup. I too have a readynas duo but can't answer your question. Not sure why you would prefer to post here rather than over at the readynas forums where they are usually quite helpful and knowledgeable. I'd say the lack of responses to your inquiry kind of makes my point....

breadvan
2010-02-07, 07:50
I have been a SB3 user now for almost 4 years, always been smooth sailing until this, so I thought a few others might have had similar experience so why not give it a shot, especially this is a hardware subforum. Well I guess not everything we do is agreeble to others.

garym
2010-02-07, 07:58
I didn't say you were wrong to post here. I was trying to be helpful. As far as I knew in my original post, you didn't even KNOW about the readynas forum (some don't, even readynas owners). I don't know you and don't know what you already know. That's the nature of forums. I was simply trying to be helpful, yet you seem to have a chip on your shoulder or simply read my post as mean spirited in some way. If you look at my original post, I think you'll find me simply trying to give you a suggestion for other options to help with a problem as well as reminding folks that RAID is not a backup (your original post didn't indicate that you hadn't "lost" your music data). And I see you (or someone) has posted on this issue over at readynas forums, so all is well. Good luck with figuring out the mystery of the disappearing folder.