PDA

View Full Version : Announce: VortexBox 1.1 released

agillis
2010-02-02, 09:47
I very excited about this release of VortexBox. We are moving from being just a media server to a music player as well. This version of VortexBox includes VortexBox Player. You can use your internal sound card or external USB DAC to play your music. VortexBox Player supports music recorded at up to 24-bit/192kHz.

We have also added a lot of other great features requested by the VortexBox and SqueezeBox communities. Here is a list of the new features.

- VortexBox Player as the default software player.
- Cover are added to all mp3 files for easy use in iTunes and XBMC.
- Option to have mp3 or AAC mirror updated after ripping.

If you have a recent version of VortexBox you can update using the GUI software updater. If you have an older version without the GUI updated use

yum update

from command line.

pski
2010-02-02, 10:21
yum update took under 10 minutes on my 256 MB VM Workstation instance.

Thanks again for great stuff.

P

socistep
2010-02-02, 11:35
I very excited about this release of VortexBox. We are moving from being just a media server to a music player as well. This version of VortexBox includes VortexBox Player. You can use your internal sound card or external USB DAC to play your music. VortexBox Player supports music recorded at up to 24-bit/192kHz.

We have also added a lot of other great features requested by the VortexBox and SqueezeBox communities. Here is a list of the new features.

If you have a recent version of VortexBox you can update using the GUI software updater. If you have an older version without the GUI updated use

yum update

from command line.

Thanks Andrew, am looking forward to trying the vortexbox player

Ron Olsen
2010-02-02, 11:40

Are you scaling down the images if cover.jpg is a huge file?

I have started getting high-quality, large-image cover art for my Squeezebox Server Library. Many of the images are 600x600 pixels and a few are larger. Some are larger than 100KB; the largest is almost 800KB. This works very well for display on the SBS webpage, the Duet Controller, and the iPod Touch with iPeng, where automatic image scaling is done.

I'd hate to have these huge images inserted into every mp3 during the flac mirroring process. I think it would be better to scale the images to 300x300 or 200x200 before inserting them into the mp3 files.

mbonsack
2010-02-02, 12:08

Can you change the default ripping/SBS directory from /storage/music to an externally-mounted filesystem?

agillis
2010-02-02, 20:15
Are you scaling down the images if cover.jpg is a huge file?

I have started getting high-quality, large-image cover art for my Squeezebox Server Library. Many of the images are 600x600 pixels and a few are larger. Some are larger than 100KB; the largest is almost 800KB. This works very well for display on the SBS webpage, the Duet Controller, and the iPod Touch with iPeng, where automatic image scaling is done.

I'd hate to have these huge images inserted into every mp3 during the flac mirroring process. I think it would be better to scale the images to 300x300 or 200x200 before inserting them into the mp3 files.

I have all my cover art in 500x500 files with the jpeg quality set to high. None of them are over 30k in size. I want them to look good in iTunes so I don't want to compress them much more.

agillis
2010-02-02, 20:17
Can you change the default ripping/SBS directory from /storage/music to an externally-mounted filesystem?

No, if this was allowd you could disconnect the USB drive and screw up SBS. This would cause all kinds of problems.

But VortexBox is Linux so it's easy to mount a drive and link it to the music folder if that's what you really want.

elstensoftware
2010-02-03, 02:29
Congratulations, agilis. Your new releases seem to be going from strength to strength! Your solution offers a lot of flexibility which I think is especially useful to the hacker/tech savvy community.

Have you looked into mp3fs (http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/) as a way of serving mp3s from FLACs? In itself it works fine but I've found issues when trying to export a transcoded directory.

agillis
2010-02-03, 09:36
Congratulations, agilis. Your new releases seem to be going from strength to strength! Your solution offers a lot of flexibility which I think is especially useful to the hacker/tech savvy community.

Have you looked into mp3fs (http://mp3fs.sourceforge.net/) as a way of serving mp3s from FLACs? In itself it works fine but I've found issues when trying to export a transcoded directory.

mp3fs didn't work well for me. I think its better to have the accusal file.

Ron Olsen
2010-02-03, 09:44
I have all my cover art in 500x500 files with the jpeg quality set to high. None of them are over 30k in size. I want them to look good in iTunes so I don't want to compress them much more.
Then I suggest an option to turn off embedding cover art in mp3s -- I have lots of artwork files much larger than 30k that I wouldn't wanted to be embedded. Let iTunes find missing cover art in a more reasonable size.

Another alternative: allow an option to specify maximum size of embedded artwork (say 30k). Scale down artwork that's larger than the limit.

bernt
2010-02-04, 00:26
Great work. Flac Mirror works excellent now. It even replace the compilation tag with itunescompilation and I don't have to embedd the albumart to the flac files anymore.

Or, does xbmc use embedded album art?

agillis
2010-02-04, 08:45
Great work. Flac Mirror works excellent now. It even replace the compilation tag with itunescompilation and I don't have to embedd the albumart to the flac files anymore.

Or, does xbmc use embedded album art?

We don't put cover art in FLAC files. XBMC uses cover.jpg.

socistep
2010-02-05, 15:49
have to say I'm very impressed with the vortexbox player, for the first release it performs very well - I have my newly purchased wireless headphones hooked up to it and it sounds great.

Its not 100% for me yet, non mp3 streams (e.g. napster with wma files) via internet aren't working but sure this will get resolved soon

Thanks Andrew !

agillis
2010-02-06, 07:04
have to say I'm very impressed with the vortexbox player, for the first release it performs very well - I have my newly purchased wireless headphones hooked up to it and it sounds great.

Its not 100% for me yet, non mp3 streams (e.g. napster with wma files) via internet aren't working but sure this will get resolved soon

Thanks Andrew !

Glad you like it. We have some documentation in the Docs section on how to get wma and napster working.

http://vortexbox.org/documentation/playing-other-music-formats/