PDA

View Full Version : Disconnects from SBS after a while

Ancan
2010-02-02, 07:06
Hi all!

I have a weird issue with my SB2, where it disconnected from the server after a few minutes, and cannot reconnect until i reboot my wireless AP. It

The AP is a Belkin F5D8230-4 router, flashed with the latest firmware running in AP mode. The SB connects fine to the WLAN, and recieves a address from my DHCP-server. But when i try to connect to the SBS it just says "Can't connect to [...]". Reboot the AP, and it's fine again for a few minutes.

Anyone have any ideas what can cause this?

snarlydwarf
2010-02-02, 09:09
Hi all!

I have a weird issue with my SB2, where it disconnected from the server after a few minutes, and cannot reconnect until i reboot my wireless AP. It

The AP is a Belkin F5D8230-4 router, flashed with the latest firmware running in AP mode. The SB connects fine to the WLAN, and recieves a address from my DHCP-server. But when i try to connect to the SBS it just says "Can't connect to [...]". Reboot the AP, and it's fine again for a few minutes.

Anyone have any ideas what can cause this?

I have a F5D7231-4 that just dies periodically. (Knocking two laptops, 3 SB's, and a SBC offline.) It happens less now that it is just an AP, when it was a router, it went through a phase where it needed rebooting every 5 minutes for an hour, which is why it got demoted to AP.

My mother in laws router (linksys of some variety) needs rebooting when there is too much activity.

Do you have other wireless devices? Are they seeing the same problem at the same time?

It may be as simple as a bug in the router: see if there is new firmware for it (mine never has had an update... Belkin sucks like that), and that may fix it.

Ancan
2010-02-03, 11:14
I have a F5D7231-4 that just dies periodically. (Knocking two laptops, 3 SB's, and a SBC offline.) It happens less now that it is just an AP, when it was a router, it went through a phase where it needed rebooting every 5 minutes for an hour, which is why it got demoted to AP.

My mother in laws router (linksys of some variety) needs rebooting when there is too much activity.

Do you have other wireless devices? Are they seeing the same problem at the same time?

It may be as simple as a bug in the router: see if there is new firmware for it (mine never has had an update... Belkin sucks like that), and that may fix it.

Hmm, doesn't feel like it's the same problem. Everything else works all the time except the SB which disconnects after a few minutes, and the firmware is the latest.

snarlydwarf
2010-02-03, 11:45
Hmm, doesn't feel like it's the same problem. Everything else works all the time except the SB which disconnects after a few minutes, and the firmware is the latest.

Hrrm, no, not if other clients are unaffected.

(Mine knocks off even wired connections.)

Have you tried changing channels on the router? If you have something like NetStumbler it will show you other networks near you so you know where to avoid.

Remember that the channels overlap: so channel 1 actually leaves an imprint on 1,2 and 3. Channel 6 leaves an imprint on 4,5,6,7 and 8. Channel 11 leaves an imprint on 9,10,11. (1 and 11 also leave an imprint on lower and higher ranges, but since those aren't channels we don't really care..)

So if your neighbors are all on 6 (and cluttering nearby channels as well), moving to 1 or 11 will keep you away from them.

Change this on the router, and the clients should pick it up automatically.

It may be that there is some icky interference of some sort on whatever channel you're using and it's "just enough" to break the radio's connection.

(Although it's odd that rebooting the router fixes the radio.. that makes it sound like a router bug... but those usually affect all clients, so it's very strange...)

Ancan
2010-02-03, 12:03
It stays connected to the WLAN. It just cannot connect to the server anymore.

johndoe_2009
2010-02-28, 01:02
my SBC just hast started this last week - after a couple of minutes of sleep (screen is blank) it won't re-connect to SB Server (diagnostics says no ping), but it stays in WLAN.

I have already updated to the newest SBS 7.4.2, newest SBC firmware. What can I do?

Mnyb
2010-02-28, 03:27
my SBC just hast started this last week - after a couple of minutes of sleep (screen is blank) it won't re-connect to SB Server (diagnostics says no ping), but it stays in WLAN.

I have already updated to the newest SBS 7.4.2, newest SBC firmware. What can I do?

on the sbc settings > advanced > factory test > power management:

Here you have "Wireless power save" and "Suspend Enabled"

Some routers have problems with wireless power save, try to turn it off it will eat more battery now but not drop the conection.

Note these settings don't stick trough upgrades

Otherwise I always use static-ip have found that squeezeboxes are more reliable then.