PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic Dented Box

lynnvin
2010-01-30, 15:18
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/promotional_items/devices/6408&cl=us,en&ci=0

Should I take the plunge or wait for the Touch?

dsdreamer
2010-01-30, 15:52

Honestly, at that price I'd grab one. If after half a year you were to upgrade to a Touch, I bet you could sell it for what you'd be paying for it now.

mlsstl
2010-01-30, 16:04
$120 is a very nice price reduction.

Whether the Classic is for you or you should wait for the Touch depends on your priorities and is a question only you can answer.

The Classic would be a good choice if:

- you're on a budget,
- you're a casual listener and just want access to internet radio and music files on your computer,
- you don't feel compelled to have the newest version of something,
- you're happy with a simple remote (or other external interface) and don't need to see album art,
- you don't want access to external USB drives direct from the unit.

The Touch sounds like it'd be better if:

- Sound is important. Beta testers report the Touch's sound quality is better than the Classic and may eliminate the need for external DACs and other mods many Classic users pursue.
- The Touch does more. It can access an external USB drive without a server.
- The Touch has a nice interface and display screen.
- The Touch will natively play higher resolution files.

There are other differences, but the above will give you a starting framework.

snarlydwarf
2010-01-30, 16:17
$120 is a very nice price reduction.

Whether the Classic is for you or you should wait for the Touch depends on your priorities and is a question only you can answer.

Or: you want something now, and realize that in another few weeks/months/years, you will be totally immersed in music and wonder why you have only one SB, and will get a Touch/Radio/Boom then anyway.

(That '/' could be an 'or' or for some 'and'...)

One of the serious advantages of the SB lineup is that you -can- keep adding players as you realize how nice it is to have access to your library everywhere.... I would be curious to see mean and mode's on how many players are installed... I think after 6 months it would be less than 50% that have only one player.

So get the Classic now, and when touch is out, add that to your lineup.

The price is good enough I would have bought one if I had a spot for it.

peterw
2010-01-30, 16:52
The price is good enough I would have bought one if I had a spot for it.

Same here. Did you see this: "3-year limited hardware warranty"? Wow.

lynnvin
2010-01-30, 20:06
Thanks All for the input.

Your right, I already own a SB Radio and a Boom.

As you know, you really never can have too many Squeezebox's - LOL.!!

My wife has been taking control over the Radio - so this could be my chance to tell her we need another unit!

eeagle
2010-01-31, 19:54

Definitely...and a BIG THANKS for posting! I just ordered one.

I've been waiting for this deal to come up again. I have a Duet and a Radio, but really wanted the Classic for my 2 channel devoted system. I believe the Burr-Brown DAC will hold me over till I see a great deal on a Transporter.

Nonreality
2010-01-31, 22:01
The SB3 or Classic is the best device I've ever bought and worth every penny I spent. I got mine a few years ago at about 279 and still think it's worth more.

thewebgal
2010-02-01, 06:41

Wowoo - thanks for the heads up! I thought about this overnight and decided to give it a go -
I just snapped it up! Nice deal!

I nearly bought a used Duet via Craigslist over the weekend, but decided I wanted a warrantee -
so I was going to wait for the Touch - but this hits my price point very well. With this I can shake
down this Squeeze technology and if I like it, maybe I'll buy a touch later.
I do have 2 audio systems in the house (currently running as remote speakers with iTunes/Airtunes)

Now I can sell off my AppleTV-160 ...!

jrbzzz
2010-02-01, 08:52
I took advantage of this offer when it was available in December. I have not regretted the purchase one bit.

One other question to ask yourself - where will the unit be located? As mine is located in my home theater cabinet on a lower shelf, the touch interface would be of little use to me. The SB3 or Classic meets my needs almost perfectly (the USB interface might be handy once in a while, but I'm fine without it).

eeagle
2010-02-01, 09:13
I nearly bought a used Duet via Craigslist over the weekend, but decided I wanted a warrantee -
so I was going to wait for the Touch - but this hits my price point very well. With this I can shake down this Squeeze technology and if I like it, maybe I'll buy a touch later.

The Duet was $249 on Amazon BF so keep a lookout for one...the controller alone is worth the price. It is very handy to have full access including album art and track details at your fingertips. The amazing thing for me is that it controls all my devices radio, duet receiver, even the SqueezePlay (soft squeeze) on my computers, and now the Classic, which is on the way. The in hand control is even more convenient than the Touch which must be wired into a system and not portable, but of course the ultimate is a controller and the Touch if and when it get released.

thewebgal
2010-02-01, 09:52
The Duet was $249 on Amazon BF so keep a lookout for one...the controller alone is worth the price. It is very handy to have full access including album art and track details at your fingertips. The amazing thing for me is that it controls all my devices radio, duet receiver, even the SqueezePlay (soft squeeze) on my computers, and now the Classic, which is on the way. The in hand control is even more convenient than the Touch which must be wired into a system and not portable, but of course the ultimate is a controller and the Touch if and when it get released.

Great tip, thanks!
My friend showed me his mac mini based system with a Duet last weekend,
and it seemed VERY nice - sold me on the whole Squeezebox tech!

eeagle
2010-02-01, 19:59
Great tip, thanks!
My friend showed me his mac mini based system with a Duet last weekend,
and it seemed VERY nice - sold me on the whole Squeezebox tech!

Yes, and if you have an iPhone or iTouch the iPeng app can act the same as the controller for only about $10.

thewebgal
2010-02-01, 20:13
Yes, and if you have an iPhone or iTouch the iPeng app can act the same as the controller for only about $10.
Nice - but doubt I'll buy an iTouch just to have it as the controller ...

BlueScreenJunky
2010-02-02, 11:17
Yeah i'd say go for it, unless you can see a use for the squeezebox touch.
I think I might actually prefer the classic for my use : it's with the rest of my hi fi equipment on a shelf, 2.5 meters away from the couch so I would absolutely NEVER "touch" it, and I believe the VFD screen of the classic is more readable from a distance. I also have a server running 24/7 so I would rarely use the USB capabilities of the touch (unless a friend brings some music on an USB device, in that case that would be useful).

So if you think you can do without the new features of the touch, just buy a classic at a lower price now and be happy with it, it's already a great device !

Nice - but doubt I'll buy an iTouch just to have it as the controller ...
Heh, I'm seriously considering doing exactly that ! I hate ipods, I would never use it as an audio player (my Sansa does the job just fine) and I have no use for other apps... But I'd really like to have an ipeng remote ^^
The only reason I'm not buying an ipod touch now is because I'm waiting to see if some android devices (Archos 5IT, ICD Ultra, Zii Egg...) can do better.

Stevejm20
2010-02-03, 16:31

I just did. I only had my Boom for 10 days and already ordered a 2nd player.

I shouldn't make these impulse buys.

aubuti
2010-02-03, 17:04
I just did. I only had my Boom for 10 days and already ordered a 2nd player.

I shouldn't make these impulse buys.
No, impulse can be good. I think the only mistake I made with SBs is when I bought my first SB3. They had a special deal then: buy 2 SB3s and get $100 off. I didn't take advantage of that offer and only bought one. Now four years later I have 8 SBs....

Stevejm20
2010-02-05, 16:58
My SB Classic showed up today and is up and running. It doesn't look like a dented box to me. There are no markings on the box and the box is in perfect shape.

It has a nice large display which is one reason I wanted to grab one of these. The remote is a lot nicer then the Boom remote. I can't wait until I get an amp and speakers for the living room.

I'm planning on moving my Boom to the back room where I spend some time at and using it as a wireless bridge for the computer back there, I never got around to running CAT5 to that computer.

whdean
2010-02-05, 17:11
I recently helped a friend set up three dented-box SB3's - I honestly didn't see anything wrong with the boxes and the SB3's were fine.

Sometimes when a shipping container sustains damage, the insurance makes a settlement for all the contents. If that happened, there were likely some individual damaged SB3 boxes and some lucky ones that were not dented - But they may not be able now sell them as retail stock - So they go in the dented box sale until they are gone.

Just a guess ...

ajkidle
2010-02-05, 18:21
Holy moly, $179?! Just ordered one and I don't even have a place to put it. (My wife says I have a sickness.)

youngml2009
2010-02-06, 08:49
I purchased my "dented box" classic on Wednesday and it arrived yesterday with free standard shipping. The box and the classic were in perfect shape. This was a wonderful deal for $179.