PDA

View Full Version : Touch as a Server

lynnvin
2010-01-30, 11:26
Hi:
Just to clarify being able to use Touch as a Server.

Does this mean if I already have a SB Radio and Boom - I will be able to access the Server through touch instead of having to keep my computer on?

Sorry, if this is dumb question.

toby10
2010-01-30, 12:41
Hi:
Just to clarify being able to use Touch as a Server.

Does this mean if I already have a SB Radio and Boom - I will be able to access the Server through touch instead of having to keep my computer on?

Sorry, if this is dumb question.

Yes, but with limitations. Such as Touch's internal server cannot transcode audio nor use plugins.
If you do not use plugins and play only files that the Touch's small server can play natively then you are good to go. :)

JJZolx
2010-01-30, 15:14
Maybe more accurately stated as "Touch's server can only stream files that your players can play natively". Touch will stream anything that doesn't require transcoding for a particular player.

Another notable limitation is that there is no web interface for either playback control or settings. Also, the server settings available are fewer than with the full scale server.

toby10
2010-01-31, 06:02
Maybe more accurately stated as "Touch's server can only stream files that your players can play natively". Touch will stream anything that doesn't require transcoding for a particular player.

Another notable limitation is that there is no web interface for either playback control or settings. Also, the server settings available are fewer than with the full scale server.

Yeah, good clarifications. Thanks.

I *really* think Logitech developers need to post a comprehensive FAQ on TinySC (features, benefits, limitations, setup scenarios, etc..).
As well, they should provide a side-by-side comparison of the full SBS vs TinySC.
There is a lot of confusion out there as to exactly what TinySC is and is not (myself included).

realmassy
2010-02-04, 02:13
One more question: any known limitation about the size of the external USB drive, or the file system used? At the moment I'm using a duet with a sheevaplug, both physically wired to a router. It works fine, but with the touch I could get rid of both of them, and also benefit from a nice upgrade in the sound quality (though I'll be using with an external dac).
Thanks

JohnSwenson
2010-02-04, 12:59
My opinion on that is that if you already have a sheevaplug, by all means keep that and use it as the server for the Touch. With the sheevaplug you get the full blown server without limitations which is running on a much faster processor.

For someone who is used to the full server and what you can do with it, going to the onboard server will probably a bit of a letdown.

John S.

fragfutter
2010-02-04, 13:22
i would also keep the sheevaplug. But also the sheevaplug is not capable of transcoding (lacking hardware floating point).

realmassy
2010-02-04, 15:01
i would also keep the sheevaplug. But also the sheevaplug is not capable of transcoding (lacking hardware floating point).
what do you mean with transcoding?

fragfutter
2010-02-05, 01:15
converting between different encodings on the fly, so that Clients can play stuff they don't support natively (because of exceeding bitrates, missing hardware support, missing cpu power to do it in software...). Actually i have no idea which formats are supported on the different Squeezeboxes (i only use MP3 and Ogg), so the next example may be wrong.

Internet Radiostream as Realaudio -> Squeezebox Server -> transcode -> MP3 Stream -> Squeezebox Classic

realmassy
2010-02-05, 04:21
So we don't know whether FLACs (which I'm using) will need to be transcoded.

Aurumer
2010-02-05, 04:27
All Squeezeboxes can play FLAC natively. No transcoding required.

realmassy
2010-02-05, 05:37
Great, thanks.
The only limitation I can see of using the tiny server is the lacking of the web interface, which I only use to configure some advanced settings.
As long as you can configure those settings in a different way (using the controller, via ssh etc etc) the Touch could work for me.
The Sheevaplug is great, but is hard wired to the router, which is not connected to the Internet (basically I've a dedicated network) and so I can't stream radios, or even run the software update.
Now with the Touch, I'd plug my drive into the USB input, and I could connect it using Wi-Fi to the broadband router. No dedicated router, no Sheevaplug... Am I missing something?
Thanks

JJZolx
2010-02-05, 05:43
The only limitation I can see of using the tiny server is the lacking of the web interface, which I only use to configure some advanced settings.
As long as you can configure those settings in a different way (using the controller, via ssh etc etc) the Touch could work for me.

You can configure some, but not many advanced settings. The developers have suggested that someone create a Lua applet. Maybe someone will. I think the philosophy is that the built-in server is only going to be used by casual users, so these settings aren't that important. Plus, it's work that would likely delay the release further.

aubuti
2010-02-05, 05:46
All Squeezeboxes can play FLAC natively.
Except for the SliMP3 and SB1, which are not supported on TinySBS for other reasons.

realmassy
2010-02-05, 06:08
You can configure some, but not many advanced settings. The developers have suggested that someone create a Lua applet. Maybe someone will. I think the philosophy is that the built-in server is only going to be used by casual users, so these settings aren't that important. Plus, it's work that would likely delay the release further.
Thanks JJZolx (nice avatar, btw).
OK, so I think I'll keep the Sheevaplug :-)
So how could I access the Internet keeping my configuration (dedicated network)? Can I switch to a different network "on the fly" without any reboot? When I've tried to do that with the Duet I ended up restoring the factory settings :-(

JJZolx
2010-02-05, 06:14
So how could I access the Internet keeping my configuration (dedicated network)? Can I switch to a different network "on the fly" without any reboot?

What do you mean by 'switch to a different network'? You can easily switch the player between music servers if you have more than one on your network, plus switch to and from MySqueezebox.com.

realmassy
2010-02-05, 06:21
What do you mean by 'switch to a different network'? You can easily switch the player between music servers if you have more than one on your network, plus switch to and from MySqueezebox.com.
They're not on the same network: the sheevaplug is wired to the router B, while the internet access is on the router A.
So it's not just a matter of switching the library, but I have first to connect the Touch (or the duet) to the router A.

JJZolx
2010-02-05, 06:32
They're not on the same network: the sheevaplug is wired to the router B, while the internet access is on the router A.
So it's not just a matter of switching the library, but I have first to connect the Touch (or the duet) to the router A.

You actually need to reconfiguring the player's network settings in order to reach the Internet? No, that's not easily done on any Squeezebox. Is sounds like you could stand to reconfigure your network unless there's a _really_ good reason for doing something like that.

JohnSwenson
2010-02-05, 18:18
Thanks JJZolx (nice avatar, btw).
OK, so I think I'll keep the Sheevaplug :-)
So how could I access the Internet keeping my configuration (dedicated network)? Can I switch to a different network "on the fly" without any reboot? When I've tried to do that with the Duet I ended up restoring the factory settings :-(

The Touch runs a real linux OS so anything that is possible in linux can be done. Its a piece of cake to change the network in linux so I presume it is so in the Touch.

The Touch has a network configuration page where you can enter the IP address, subnet, gateway etc. I presume this changes a file and restarts networking on the fly.

If you are using DHCP you should just be able to physically connect to the different network and restart the network which should renegotiate DHCP with the new router.

I haven't actually tried this, so I'll give it a try and see what happens.

John S.