PDA

View Full Version : Powered speakers for Touch

Justme
2010-01-30, 01:29
Thinking about the Touch as my third SB in the house and to use as a server for the others as well.

It would be in a room which doesn't have a hifi, so I would need a set of powered speakers.

I've never done this before but do powered speakers use a significant amount of power when not in use. Or do any models come out of standby when the Touch is started? If there is one thing I hate, is having to switch on multiple devices to do one thing. So, I don't want to have to keep switching the speakers on and off, but I don't want a constant power drain from the speakers when not in use.

Danione
2010-01-30, 04:24
Thinking about the Touch as my third SB in the house and to use as a server for the others as well.

It would be in a room which doesn't have a hifi, so I would need a set of powered speakers.

I've never done this before but do powered speakers use a significant amount of power when not in use. Or do any models come out of standby when the Touch is started?
Some speakers run in real standby (with just, say, the IR-receiver listening), others you have to shut down either via remote or a button.
An amplifier, no matter if it's a stand-alone or one in powered speakers use quite a lot of power, unless it's in proper standby or shut down entirely.

If there is one thing I hate, is having to switch on multiple devices to do one thing. So, I don't want to have to keep switching the speakers on and off, but I don't want a constant power drain from the speakers when not in use.
I don't want to sound like an Avi-fanboy, but their speakers (IR-controlled) can be controlled by the Duet Controller's IRthingy, so I'd think it was controllable with the ordinary IR-remote, although they do come with their own remote.
They have two sets - one called the Neutron Fives, where the amps, DAC etc. is in the Subwoofer, and the ADM9.1s where the DAC and amplifiers are in the speakers, and you can add a powered sub if so inclined.

I don't know your budget for your third room, so they may be over budget (I know they would be for my third room).

If it's the same with your budget as is with mine, there are a plethora of small "fancy" speakers that although don't sound good in comparison will do the job.
And the smaller and less powerful they are, the less power they will use - including in stand by. The thing with amplifiers is that it's not just the amplifier that uses power, but the power supply itself.

Another route to go is real nearfield monitors used for audio production. They seldomly have the ability to remote controlled, and often they're not a "system", but rely on somewhere else to control the volume. They're more like "powered speakers" than anything else, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I think people will be able to help you a bit more, if you posted budget, type of room and what you had in mind. You can get huge PA speakers, all amplified if you want, or you can go buy some really cheap (quality) speakers designed to sit along an iMac and such and everything in between. Hell, you could even buy two B&O Beolab 5-speakers if you wanted to.

Justme
2010-01-30, 04:41
Thanks for the post.

The budget is still open. One option is of course to go cheap and if I go that path I guess I'm looking at under 100.

But if the more expensive option is really viable then I wouldn't mind to head up to 300 or so.

One of the keys is that the speakers are discrete. Mounted somewhere where they are not terrible obvious. We're trying to keep the room as sparse as possible (I just hate clutter)

The other being not having to switch them on as well. Which is why a set of speakers that did have a standby option that comes out when an audio signal comes from the Touch would be perfect.

Our Boom consumes around 5-6watts in standby, which is a bit high really but I can live with it. I wouldn't want to go much higher for standby with the speakers.

I'll need to be able to connect two things to the speakers though. Both the Touch and the PC

Danione
2010-01-30, 04:49
Well, depending how you go about it, you can use a split cable (Y-cable) to connect to whatever speakers. Or, of course, you could go take a look at "dedicated" computer speakers, which often are connected via USB to your computer but has a mini-jack input as well.

Also, not that I think you want to go there, but have you considered a Tivoli radio or the like? You can get them in stereo (two boxes) or mono (single box, lol) and connect the things to them? They're not the epitome of good audio, but they're pretty and wouldn't be all "techy" to look at in amongst books or even out in the open.

Edit: Forget the Tivoli-thingies. I had a brain fart: They are manually switched on and off.

Justme
2010-01-30, 06:19
^^ lovely things those Tivoli radios. If Slim Devices got together with Tivoli to build one of their SB's into one I'd certainly buy it!

But year, also having to pay for the radio part is not really needed. But I like your thinking :O)

Danione
2010-01-30, 06:55
I think I saw someone somewhere (this forum?) who had had a carpenter make a box to match the Tivoli radio. It looked really pretty.

Okay, because you too think something like that would be neat, I have here a google search - "Active Bookshelf-speakers":

http://images.google.dk/images?q=active+bookshelf-speakers&btnG=S%C3%B8g&hl=da&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ada%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=2&start=0

I'd like if I could have given you a direct link to something that was just perfect, but I think with a search like the above you can find some pretty ones that aren't too big and within budget.

Another approach is the Audioengine A5-speakers, but as with many "computer" speakers, they don't come with any front cloth, making them more "techy" to look at - personally I don't like it.

A completely different approach would be to get car speakers and build them into the wall. Either passive speakers with a small car amp (with whatever inputs you like) or some active car speakers (although the active ones seems to be mostly without front screen).
Of course, you can also buy in-wall speakers, both active and passive, or in-ceiling ditto. Of course, the in ceiling are merely in-walls placed there :p

sawdin
2010-01-30, 08:50
Audioengine speakers would work. I'm not sure about Swan or KRK, but I'm sure if you contact them they'll be able to answer your question.

From Audioengine:

Do Audioengine speakers have an auto-sleep, idle, or auto-power-off function? Can I leave them on all the time?
The A5's are equipped with a power-saving circuit that turns off the speaker's final stage amp when there is no input for about 15 minutes. The A2 has a idle mode with actives right after you stop playing music. Due to this power-saving function we recommend that the speakers stay on all the time.

Justme
2010-01-30, 10:34
Now, that Audioengine speaker sounds just what I need. I'll have to check them out properly, but it does sound pretty promising.

Thanks

linvale
2010-01-30, 11:26
You won't be disappointed by the A2 s. I use them along with the powered sub in the study and probably listen to more music in that set up than anywhere and they sound great . Very well balanced design and discreet size and appearnce
Having to connect them to a mains supply and wire between them is the only bit of clutter

Dbalt
2010-01-30, 12:52
I use A2 for my dining room and living room and they sound great and work great with my duet or iPod dock. Also, great price at $199. A5s must be even better.

gorman
2010-02-05, 05:12
Another positive judgement on the A2. They sound really good.

carrera
2010-02-05, 05:26
Hi,

same here brought them from the US to Germany - but i think they are also available at Amazon GY.

I use them with a SB3 and I'm very happy with this solution

regards
carrera

iPhone
2010-02-05, 11:30
I use A2 for my dining room and living room and they sound great and work great with my duet or iPod dock. Also, great price at $199. A5s must be even better.

The A2s are great, the A5s are even better in my opinion.

Letten
2010-02-05, 12:25
@Justme

I can see you are from Germany, then you should really consider Dynaudio, built in Skanderborg, Denmark where I live :-), owned by Germans.

I know Dynaudio are a bit pricey, but also top of the line. It's one of the few brands left that still produces it's own speaker units.

Dynaudio Focus 110 A are extremely good. German review here:

http://www.fairaudio.de/test/lautsprecher/2009/test-dynaudio-focus-110-a-aktiv-lautsprecher-1.html

English translation here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dynaudio/active.html

If it is too expensive, they also have Dynaudio MC 15.

My self? I must admit I have Audioengine A5's, they are Ok, but I dream of the Dynaudios, and one day they will be mine :-)

Kevin Haskins
2010-02-06, 10:29
I'm designing something for my personal use at home. I design transducers and loudspeakers for a living so it isn't too hard for me to put together something that fits my needs in terms of size and function.

I'm milling an aluminum base that goes on top of one loudspeaker and holds the Sqeezebox Touch. It is an active design so the amps and DSP are on the back of the loudspeaker. There is one wire that connects the two and the signal stays in the digital domain until after the DSP where it goes through the D/A converter and into the Class D amplification stage. My wife didn't want anything but a remote and the speakers have passed her "small enough" test. Once I finish I'd be happy to post pictures and details.

Justme
2010-02-07, 11:22
Thanks for the links. The Dynaudio 110 A also looks pretty good.

bpa
2010-02-07, 13:59
Another thought would be Acoustic Energy Aego-M.

Possible disadvantages: it is a 2.1 setup but the speakers are small and no standby mode.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustic-Energy-AE26-06B-active-speaker/dp/B000MN96T6

jdh500
2010-02-09, 02:21
audioengin A2's with my SB3.

JDH

NewBuyer
2010-02-13, 03:17
You might also consider the NHT M-00's (http://www.nhthifi.com/NHT-M00?sc=12&category=1213). These are great acoustic suspension powered monitors that also have auto-on capability.

sawdin
2010-02-14, 00:09
Received Swan D1080 Mk II's 2 days ago. Initial impressions:

1) Big and Heavy. Initial thought, before hearing them, was that I would replace them w/ the much smaller Audioengine A2's.

2) Quality connector between speakers, but could be longer.

3) Sound Great! I will not be returning them. I have not listened to the A 2's, but I've read reviews. My speculation is that they would sound harsher/sharper than the Swans, which sound full and 'rounded'. If the inexpensive D1080's sound this good, the Swan M200 Mk II's and III's must sound really good. However, I must note that I haven't been listening to my main system or phones as I've recently moved. I've been listening to my low-fi car system and a decent boombox. So in comparison to what I've been listening to, the D1080's sound very good.

4) Loud enough for me, I haven't gotten close to their maximum output. They are 'near-field', afterall. Plenty of bass for me.

5) Definitely worth $125 + s/h.

The reason I went the cheap route was that I have a pair of Senn HD 650's and a headphone amp + a main audio system and and will probably not use the Swan's very much. If I was going to use PC speakers quite often, I would at least jump up to the Swan M200 Mk II ($250) or M200 Mk III ($399). They all come w/ a 30 day trial period.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php/loudspeakers/swan-active-desktop/cPath/21_24_21_24

Justme
2010-02-14, 01:28
Thanks NewBuyer for your alternative tip. It's good to see that there are other choices with standby mode available. I certainly wouldn't have found these without the help of everyone's posts here.

Also, thanks sawdin for your suggestion. I checked their website but couldn't see anything about the speakers going into standby automatically. Do you know if they have this feature?

sawdin
2010-02-14, 09:28
Documentation was non-existent, however I'm pretty sure they are made to be left on (I leave mine on). Give Jon a call at AudioInsider; I'm sure he'll answer all of your questions, he did mine. The connection between the two speakers is made via one thick jacketed screw-in cable, not speaker wire as was the case for older models.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I can't imagine how a pair of $350 A5's would come close to sounding as good as the $399 M200 MkIII's given the larger size, separate amps (all four drivers get their own channel), active electronic crossover, etc.

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/sound-systems/product-of-the-day-day-3-swans-m200-mkii-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system/