PDA

View Full Version : What's next for VortexBox???

agillis
2010-01-29, 12:07
Every few months I ask the SqueezeBox community what new features they want to see in the next release of VortexBox. We always get a lot of great suggestions and we have added a lot of features based on community feedback.

We are currently working on a HiRez software player that works with SBS and a few other features. What other features does everybody want? Remember you don't get a feature if you don't ask for it!

mbonsack
2010-01-29, 16:28
1. A way to specify an alternate path for both ripping and music directory for SBS. Right now it's hard-coded to /storage/music.

1a. A way to tell the ripper to use a character set that is supported by the mounted target filesystem -- i.e. no accents like those on the last "e" in Andre, etc. Moving Vortex-ripped music directories to a FAT32 directory proves to be a challenge now.

agillis
2010-02-01, 07:09
1. A way to specify an alternate path for both ripping and music directory for SBS. Right now it's hard-coded to /storage/music.

1a. A way to tell the ripper to use a character set that is supported by the mounted target filesystem -- i.e. no accents like those on the last "e" in Andre, etc. Moving Vortex-ripped music directories to a FAT32 directory proves to be a challenge now.

OK, I'll take a look at that. Anything else?

matka
2010-02-01, 09:43
I'm not a vortexbox user as I'm comfortable with dyi linux server, but my friend expressed interest and the following might increase the appeal for the appliance:

1. easily configurable rsync backup to usb or a network drive. By easy config, I mean a page with combination of cron and options (remote,local, rotating snapshots perhaps). Once people start ripping their data, fast and reliable backup is top priority. I have seen your command line help but I think this is to tech for an appliance market

2. Provide a batch mass conversion tool from audio codec to audio codec while preserving artwork and tags. There was a post few weeks ago (I believe that was a vortexbox user) asking for help mass converting from m4a to flac. I did eventually came across Perl Audio Converter that will probably do the trick for this user, but it would be nice to have preinstalled script that fits into distro

3. Remote desktop or VNC as a backup way of performing some tasks that are not possible via web interface or for a feature that was not requested/coded yet. Again, command line as today probably shuts some potential users off. Plus some people might be surprised to see how attractive Fedora desktop is...