PDA

View Full Version : How to use SBS with ReadyNAS duo?

richardw
2010-01-28, 09:09
i just hooked up a netgear ready nas duo and do not understand how to run sbs. i checked the box on streaming services in set up and also checked the optimize scanner. when i click setup, sbs opens although it prompts me to update. i read the wiki page on clean install, is this the same process to update to the current version?

when i ran the program in my prior configuration on my laptop, i would just open the web control from the desktop icon and play away but where do i open it for the this configuration? i do not see any icons in the nas. should i remove the version that remains on my laptop from my previous configuration?

tips, suggestions, input on this device?

aubuti
2010-01-28, 09:25
I can't answer your questions that are specific to the ReadyNAS, but for the general question of accessing the SBS web interface and settings page all you have to do is point your web browser to http://<NASip>:9000/, where you insert the IP address of the NAS in place of <NASip>.

richardw
2010-01-28, 10:32
i think i am figuring some of this out...you have to open sbs by going to raidar, set up, streaming services then setup. this opens sbs. seems like way more than you should have to do to open it.

the response time to commands is super slow. is this normal? running sbs on my laptop and sending commands to the blackarmor nas is very fast in comparison. i am starting to think this is a better configuration. i am confused as to why logitech endorses the other.

stevecross
2010-01-29, 00:00
Yes the response time is very slow, but thats the price you pay i am afraid, i have a readynas duo ansd it works o.k but compared to a even a low powered computer it is slow. Only upside is running cost is low.

richardw
2010-01-29, 08:38
i installed the latest version and things sorted out but still dog slow. about 20 seconds for response for artists, etc.

some of my older files are wma and it will not play them. it handles flac fine with the exception of delays. any idea why it will not play wma?

this thing is odd. i am not convinced this application is appropriate for the device! going to give it a day or so i suppose. i am looking at the vortex box on an old pc or just running it headless. i posted some questions on this in the audiophile forum but here they are again...

is it possible to run an old pc with vista headless (via ethernet to router) with sbs running and use my laptop to control it? if so...is it possible to install an internal 1tb hd or does it have to be external usb?

if i do the other route with vortexbox on the pc that will not start windows (password issue, long story but a great machine) can i just rip the vortexbox download to a cdr and then start the pc with the disc to install?

andyg
2010-01-29, 08:44
Might want to try the 7.5 embedded version, it will perform a lot better on slower machines.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5-embedded

richardw
2010-01-29, 08:48
andy same process as what i did to upgrade to the last (on the wiki)?

any thoughts on the wma thing?

andyg
2010-01-29, 08:52
This wiki page should cover it: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_on_ReadyNAS

Note: the 'optimized' scanner that Netgear ships is a bad idea, so don't use that. But I think that'll get removed/disabled when you install our build.

WMA should work fine provided you have an SB2 or higher that plays native WMA. If it's WMA Lossless you are out of luck and should use FLAC instead.

richardw
2010-01-29, 08:55
wma lossless. i use a transporter and it has worked fine with the same version of sbs on my laptop streaming from another nas (blackarmor 110). i am actually listening to one now. i know it is a good rip as it is hdcd and my dac shows me if it is being read.

so it will not work on the duo but does on the other devices (wma lossless)?

andyg
2010-01-29, 09:01
Nope, for WMA Lossless you need to run the server on Windows. That's unfortunately what you get being tied to a crappy Microsoft format.

richardw
2010-01-29, 09:08
i see. thanks andy. while i got you could you take a look at my other questions above regarding using an old pc? that netgear is headed back to amazon i think. heck the little blackarmor works much better and that has 2 wireless streams (to laptop with sbs and to transporter). any downside to this vs the readynas duo?

sorry for all the questions but i have been trying to optimize this for days! i would like to move back to messing with the gear i know..cables and all...

andyg
2010-01-29, 09:20
An old PC running Windows would be fine, not sure I'd choose Vista though. :) Make sure it has at least 512M memory, probably 1GB to be safe. And at least a decent processor.

agillis
2010-01-29, 09:44
i see. thanks andy. while i got you could you take a look at my other questions above regarding using an old pc? that netgear is headed back to amazon i think. heck the little blackarmor works much better and that has 2 wireless streams (to laptop with sbs and to transporter). any downside to this vs the readynas duo?

sorry for all the questions but i have been trying to optimize this for days! i would like to move back to messing with the gear i know..cables and all...

You can run VortexBox on your old PC. VortexBox is an OS so it will erase windows and install itself. You will get much better response with the web GUI and it works with wma files. You will also get support for all the plug-ins.

richardw
2010-01-29, 09:49
thanks agillis. trying to run the disk now and not getting too far! i will see how it goes but may end up in your forum next!

andyg
2010-01-29, 09:49
VortexBox supports WMA Lossless files? I didn't know that.

richardw
2010-01-30, 09:04
i am back to eat crow. all these issues with the readynas duo have been using the webcontrol via my laptop. switching to the duet controller it is working as it should. smooth, fast enough and seems to be fine. the only issue i can see is artwork looks faded. so...sorry netgear for bad mouthing your nas! it actually works quite well with the duet remote.

i did upgrade to sbs 7.5 (thanks andy) and this may have helped too. the webcontrol is faster but still lagging with certain commands (15 seconds aprox).

i may keep it. now i have to figure out how to convert 1300 wma lossless files to flac as the nas version of sbs will not play wma. i tried with dbpoweramp but not working for some reason. i think i may need to do it off the nas but not sure.

thanks all!

aubuti
2010-01-30, 11:13
now i have to figure out how to convert 1300 wma lossless files to flac as the nas version of sbs will not play wma. i tried with dbpoweramp but not working for some reason. i think i may need to do it off the nas but not sure.
I would have expected dBpoweramp to do it, so I'm not sure why it didn't work. Foobar2000 should be able to convert the files pretty easily.

Sorry that the bit about web ui vs remote got lost in the discussion. Even underpowered NASs will usually be good enough to do the main task, which is streaming the music to the players fast enough. The two places where the lack of computing power show up are (a) the web ui, which is actually fairly demanding, especially if displaying album art, and (b) scanning times.

richardw
2010-01-30, 11:30
i may need to start a new thread on how to convert wma to flac with dbpoweramp. i think i was doing it right but there is something wrong. i believe the error was something about codec not installed.

any idea why my artwork became fuzzy and distorted in the nas version of sbs? i think it is taking artistic license!

sebp
2010-01-30, 14:47
the only issue i can see is artwork looks faded.
You may want to change the Artwork sampling setting from Resize Artwork (default setting on ReadyNAS builds) to Resample Artwork (default setting on other builds).
Resizing instead of resampling speeds up the scan a lot, but at the expense of rendering the artwork a bit fuzzy.
You'll find this setting in the Performance menu on the Advanced tab of the web settings.

The two places where the lack of computing power show up are (a) the web ui, which is actually fairly demanding, especially if displaying album art, and (b) scanning times.
On the fly transcoding is also another place requiring CPU strength.
But, thanks to the wonderful work Andy and others did, the 7.5-embedded branch drastically improved scanning times (on my ReadyNAS, it went down from 3:45 with 7.4 to 1:05 with my 16K+ FLAC tracks library. Hats off!).

richardw
2010-01-30, 14:59
thanks, where is the artwork settings? i can't seem to locate it.

richardw
2010-01-30, 15:04
found it. thanks again, one more issue fixed.

nicklouse
2010-03-17, 14:31
This wiki page should cover it: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_on_ReadyNAS

Note: the 'optimized' scanner that Netgear ships is a bad idea, so don't use that. But I think that'll get removed/disabled when you install our build.

WMA should work fine provided you have an SB2 or higher that plays native WMA. If it's WMA Lossless you are out of luck and should use FLAC instead.

Err black page for the Wiki.

any more info? or.....