X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimbo45
    • Sep 2008

Music Library - spanning more than one Disc volume

Hi all
    This is probably more of a Windows problem (I think in Linux the problem can be avoided via symlinks).

When playing your own music the controller (or Radio as well) has a Music Folder setting which is say D:\music on a Windows machine.

If I want to now add another volume say on E:\ music I have to change the settings in the server. Not a very satisfactory way.

Now in Windows 7 there is a Library facility -- you can add as many volumes as you like to a "Library" - including networked volumes.

However Windows XP / Vista doesn't have "Libraries".

So the question is as follows

1- for Windows 7 will the server software be modified so your Music Folder can be a "Windows 7 Library"

2 For other Windows OS'es is there some way of adding extra volumes to the music folder such as d:\music;e:\music;f:\music

With a large collection I need to have it spread out over more than one disk -- MySQL doesn't have problems with dataspeace spreading over several volumes.

Perhaps this is easily done -- I'm not a computer guru -- just a poor user.

I like the whole squeezebox concept however -- much cheaper than the sonos system and sound quality is fine (especially with 24 bit FLAC / WAV playback).

Thanks all
  • snarlydwarf
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jimbo45
    Hi all
    This is probably more of a Windows problem (I think in Linux the problem can be avoided via symlinks).
    It can be avoided on Windows with Shortcuts.

Comment

• jimbo45
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by snarlydwarf
      It can be avoided on Windows with Shortcuts.
      Hi there
      as I said I'm not a Guru so how do I set it so the music folder on the radio will scan the various disks.

For example say I have d:\music1 and e:\music2

what do I set up on my server as the music folder.

The Radio I assume will look at the library that the server has defined as the music folder.

Cheers
      jimbo

Comment

• snarlydwarf
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by jimbo45
        Hi there
        as I said I'm not a Guru so how do I set it so the music folder on the radio will scan the various disks.

For example say I have d:\music1 and e:\music2

what do I set up on my server as the music folder.

The Radio I assume will look at the library that the server has defined as the music folder.
        What I would do:

Create a new directory somewhere convenient to you.

In that new directory, create a shortcut to "D:\music1" and another to "e:\music2".

Tell SBS that new directory is your library.

Or you could have a shortcut on D:\music1 that points to E:\music2...

How you do it is really up to you. I think the first method is a bit prettier (all shortcuts in the same spot, and nothing but shortcuts there), but that's just taste.

The radio has no clue about paths to files or anything: the server does it all.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by snarlydwarf
          What I would do:

Create a new directory somewhere convenient to you.

In that new directory, create a shortcut to "D:\music1" and another to "e:\music2".

Tell SBS that new directory is your library.

Or you could have a shortcut on D:\music1 that points to E:\music2...

How you do it is really up to you. I think the first method is a bit prettier (all shortcuts in the same spot, and nothing but shortcuts there), but that's just taste.

The radio has no clue about paths to files or anything: the server does it all.
          As Snarly said this is the well-documented (on this forum) way to do it.
          No restrictions, no constraints. Simples. Takes 5 minutes, lasts a lifetime!
          You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
          Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
          Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
          Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

Working...