PDA

View Full Version : enhancement request

azadian
2010-01-24, 07:28
At present it seems that my Squeezebox 2 assumes that the gateway is at the same address as the DHCP server. I prefer to let my WAP hand out IP addresses, and use the firewall as my gateway to the outside world.

I guess the best way to improve the situation would be to allow the user to enter the gateway address during network setup.

pippin
2010-01-24, 07:55
Well, then file it at bugs.slimdevices.com
Although, personally I would be against it since it further complicates the startup sequence. Plus why on earth do you want to have different IP ranges for wired and wireless networks. This will, for example, kill server discovery.

peterw
2010-01-24, 08:27
At present it seems that my Squeezebox 2 assumes that the gateway is at the same address as the DHCP server. I prefer to let my WAP hand out IP addresses, and use the firewall as my gateway to the outside world.

I guess the best way to improve the situation would be to allow the user to enter the gateway address during network setup.

I think the best solution would be to respect the gateway IP address specified in the DHCP lease. Are you 100% certain it does not? (I have 2 local DHCP servers and I've never seen this sort of confusion, so I expect the Squeezebox is already doing the right thing.) What firmware is your SB2 running?

azadian
2010-01-24, 08:44
I'm using a router (WNDR3700) as a WAP, and there is no way to convince it that its (unused) WAN section is not the gateway.

Since the WAP is also acting as an ethernet bridge, the wireless IP addresses are in the same range as the wired.

Mnyb
2010-01-24, 09:40
How is the "wap" connected to your other router/gateway the wan or one of the lan ports ? maybe a stupis Q if so ignore.

azadian
2010-01-24, 14:38
Yeah, the firewall and a couple of computers are connected to the LAN port. That way those nodes don't need WLAN adapters.