PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Volume from Plugin

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 12:57
Is it possible to capture the mixer request and then somehow allow it to be sent through but at the same time set the volume to 100%?

I am trying to leave the device setting to allow volume control so the UI makes sense, but then set the output at 100% so I have digital passthrough.

I will control the volume through an amplifier by capturing the users request from the mixer command and sending that to the amplifier.

I still need the player to report the volume setting the user requested though.

peterw
2010-01-23, 13:25
I am trying to leave the device setting to allow volume control so the UI makes sense, but then set the output at 100% so I have digital passthrough.

When I set SC 7.3 or SBS 7.4 to fix a player at 100%, I still get a UI for changing the volume. I can still check the volume the user sees in the UI, and I can change the amp volume. Isn't that precisely how Denon AVP Control works, too?

In DenonSerial I use $prefs->setChange() to see when the user-requested volume changes. You can also intercept a mixer command (see the code for VolumeLock), but I don't think you'd want to do that here.

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 14:03
Peter yes. Except the recent iPeng has been 'fixed' to set the volume slider when the volume is locked. We have been looking for alternatives. According to Pippin 7.5 does not behave the way you described. They have 'fixed' it so you cannot use the volume controls when the system is set to 100% volume.

Pippin and I were thinking of making some sort of flag that we could set on a plugin letting him know that the plugin will be able to deal with the volume control even though its fixed in the SBS settings.

He made me a beta version of iPeng to test and it works sweet (at least until 7.5).

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 14:09
In DenonSerial I use $prefs->setChange() to see when the user-requested volume changes. You can also intercept a mixer command (see the code for VolumeLock), but I don't think you'd want to do that here.

I use the mixer today like IRBlaster does. But I do have some issues that I have to watch I don't chase my tail. I will look at $prefs->setChange() too.

But it still leaves us with the question that we probably cannot set the volume to 100% on the fly without it getting back to SBS and having everything show 100%.

I suppose we better open a ticket on 7.5 to have them unfix the UI or else we will loose this valuable feature.

pippin
2010-01-23, 14:32
When I set SC 7.3 or SBS 7.4 to fix a player at 100%, I still get a UI for changing the volume. I can still check the volume the user sees in the UI, and I can change the amp volume. Isn't that precisely how Denon AVP Control works, too?

I locked that out in iPeng 1.2 because I wanted to ignore players set to a fixed volume in the group volume control (simultaneous volume control for a synced group). It somewhat limits the control authority if one of your players always has a 100% volume so I ignore these.

BTW, the Web UI on my 7.5 beta also doesn't allow controlling the volume anymore with digitalVolumeControl=0.

What I would propose would be a player setting similar to "digitalVolumeControl", say, "overrideDigitalVolumeControl" which iPeng can read and still use the volume with this player, even though dVC is off.
The WebUI would have to follow suit, though.

I thought I remembered that you some day suggested to separate the mixer volume from the "real" volume to allow for situations like this and I wasn't sure whether anything came out of this.

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 15:00
I locked that out in iPeng 1.2 because I wanted to ignore players set to a fixed volume in the group volume control (simultaneous volume control for a synced group). It somewhat limits the control authority if one of your players always has a 100% volume so I ignore these.

Since the plugin controls the volume this still works. I tried it :)

pippin
2010-01-23, 15:20
Since the plugin controls the volume this still works. I tried it :)

NOW you got me confused...

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 15:24
NOW you got me confused...

With your beta, not the commerical product. Still confused?

Even though the volume in SBS is set to 100%, when you send me the volume request via the mixer, I can still act on it and pretend I did it. I send out the mixer with the 'intended volume'. Since there is a flaw in SBS that allows devices to report their volume setting (as Peter pointed out) via the UI or mixer, it all works perfectly (until 7.5). And I am happy because the player is really sending out a 100% volume and I control the amp.

A WIN-WIN-WIN.

pippin
2010-01-23, 15:47
With your beta, not the commerical product. Still confused?

Even though the volume in SBS is set to 100%, when you send me the volume request via the mixer, I can still act on it and pretend I did it. I send out the mixer with the 'intended volume'. Since there is a flaw in SBS that allows devices to report their volume setting (as Peter pointed out) via the UI or mixer, it all works perfectly (until 7.5). And I am happy because the player is really sending out a 100% volume and I control the amp.

A WIN-WIN-WIN.

No. As I told you before.
This is only the beta. And the beta probably sucks for people who want to fix their volume at 100% and don't have one on your plugins.

This is why I proposed that config setting. I am not happy with going public with the solution that is in this beta.

Aesculus
2010-01-23, 15:55
No. As I told you before.
This is only the beta. And the beta probably sucks for people who want to fix their volume at 100% and don't have one on your plugins.

This is why I proposed that config setting. I am not happy with going public with the solution that is in this beta.

Sorry for the confusion.

I support the idea of the config setting. I was just pointing out that it functionally will work for the grouped volume control as tested with the beta. Not that we should support the beta delivery model.

peterw
2010-01-24, 21:23
Peter yes. Except the recent iPeng has been 'fixed' to set the volume slider when the volume is locked.

So this is just an iPeng problem, right? With 7.5, at least with the IR, CLI, and Web UIs, I see the same behavior as in 7.3/7.4 (whew!).

Pippin and I were thinking of making some sort of flag that we could set on a plugin letting him know that the plugin will be able to deal with the volume control even though its fixed in the SBS settings.

Ah, OK. I'll respond in your other thread.

Aesculus
2010-01-24, 21:37
So this is just an iPeng problem, right? With 7.5, at least with the IR, CLI, and Web UIs, I see the same behavior as in 7.3/7.4 (whew!).

Ah, OK. I'll respond in your other thread.

Pippin did say that upon further review 7.5 behaves the same so I think we are covered.

peterw
2010-01-24, 21:55
Pippin did say that upon further review 7.5 behaves the same so I think we are covered.

OK, good. I thought pippin might've been deliberately not including fixed volume players in his screen w/ the mutiple volume sliders, and wanted a way that our external volume control plugins could tell him that, yes, iPeng should bother reporting and offering to change volume on such players. I just posted a few suggestions on how we might accomplish that in your other thread. Here's hoping we don't have to. :-)