PDA

View Full Version : using a music library BESIDES iTunes

aiko
2010-01-20, 11:59
since most of my music files are not supported by iTunes, (specifically FLAC) is there a "library" application I can use beside ITunes?

simple enough for me to locate what I want, this is more for the Mrs convenience

ddewey
2010-01-20, 12:05
Quoting aiko (aiko.453pu01264014003 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> since most of my music files are not supported by iTunes, (specifically
> FLAC) is there a "library" application I can use beside ITunes?
>
> simple enough for me to locate what I want, this is more for the Mrs
> convenience

MediaMonkey. Will transcode from FLAC to mp3 on the fly to support
iPhones/iPods etc.

Ben Sandee
2010-01-20, 12:05
On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:59 PM, aiko
<aiko.453pu01264014003 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> since most of my music files are not supported by iTunes, (specifically
> FLAC) is there a "library" application I can use beside ITunes?
>
> simple enough for me to locate what I want, this is more for the Mrs
> convenience

If you want and iTunes-like interface then the Songbird project may be
up your alley. Otherwise, there are many apps like WinAmp,
Foobar2000, etc. All will do what you want.

Ben

maggior
2010-01-20, 12:11
Not sure exaclty what you are looking for. Is it that your wife wants something more user friendly to navigate the library from a PC?

If that is the case, you might consider Moose:
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/

I use this on occasion myself and find it very useful. Not only can you navigate your library in a "music management" kind of way, you can also control your squeezebox(es) with it.

aiko
2010-01-20, 12:48
let me see if I can make this clearer.

in squeezecenter there is an option to "use Itunes", and when clicked that seems to draw info from the remnants of my itunes library to the artist albums and songs options on my remote..

right now I have shortcuts to my extrenal hd's in the "music folder" that is where my "library" resides

I want to be able to draw all that info off all my files that are tagged,
will adding EVERYTHING to a songbird library or say winamp library do that?

garym
2010-01-20, 12:52

in squeezecenter there is an option to "use Itunes", and when clicked that seems to draw info from the remnants of my itunes library to the artist albums and songs options on my remote..

right now I have shortcuts to my extrenal hd's in the "music folder" that is where my "library" resides

I think you mean simply for seeing all your music files for playing on SB? for playing on SB purposes, you simply need to point your SB music library location in settings to the drive/folder with your music files. This will then show up as albums, artists, songs, etc. within the SB web interface assuming everything is tagged properly. You access the interface on the computer by going to the browser and entering:
http://localhost:9000/

You'll need to do a clear and rescan of your music library after you uncheck "use itunes" and add the location setting.

JJZolx
2010-01-20, 12:55

I'm still not sure if it's clear.

Are you looking for a way to use both the iTunes library and the FLAC library played through the Squeezebox?

Or are you looking for an application to play them all on a PC?

garym
2010-01-20, 13:06
I really think your question is:

How do I organize and play ALL my music (FLAC, mp3, AAC, etc.) through SqueezeBox Server WITHOUT checking the use ITUNES option.

If this is correct, then see my earlier post: simply uncheck use itunes, add your top level music library directory to your settings as music location, then clear and rescan. Then it will all be there, accessible on your squeezeboxes and through the SbS web interface, or the controller, or through an iPeng controller, etc. You don't need an additional music management program for this purpose. And you can still use ITUNES separately. That's what I do. I have ITUNES with music for synching with ipods/iphone and INDEPENDENTLY have SbS reading my music library, where I have mostly FLAC files.

aiko
2010-01-20, 13:09
I really think your question is:

How do I organize and play ALL my music (FLAC, mp3, AAC, etc.) through SqueezeBox Server WITHOUT checking the use ITUNES option.

If this is correct, then see my earlier post: simply uncheck use itunes, add your top level music library directory to your settings as music location, then clear and rescan. Then it will all be there, accessible on your squeezeboxes and through the SbS web interface, or the controller, or through an iPeng controller, etc. You don't need an additional music management program for this purpose. And you can still use ITUNES separately. That's what I do. I have ITUNES with music for synching with ipods/iphone and INDEPENDENTLY have SbS reading my music library, where I have mostly FLAC files.

OK I believe I got it, forgot to clear & rescan after de-selecting the iTunes option.. must be more of a tagging issue now..