PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP library corruption

Philip Meyer
2010-01-19, 18:00
Just ripped some albums and was going to scan them into MusicIP. But MusicIP was reporting 0 songs in library :-(

I had a similar occurance a couple of months ago - all of a sudden I lost my musicIP library, and configured filters, etc. That time, it told me when I started that the library was corrupt and I had to start from scratch. This time it doesn't look quite as bad - I've still got my filters; I didn't get any warnings, it just reported 0 songs.

So, I'm currently rescanning, again.

Has anyone had occurances like this? Any ideas what causes the loss of library data? Any successes in backup/restoration of musicIP data files, to avoid long rescans?

MeSue
2010-01-19, 21:10
I make an automated backup of the default.m3lib file. Haven't ever had it get corrupted, though. I also archive analysis, so a rescan isn't all that painful.

Philip Meyer
2010-01-20, 00:40
>I make an automated backup of the default.m3lib file. Haven't ever had
>it get corrupted, though. I also archive analysis, so a rescan isn't all
>that painful.
>
Aren't there other files that need to be backed up, eg. to retain custom filters, etc. i.e. this time I lost my music library content (default.m3lib was 0 bytes), but not my filters.

Once upon a time I took a backup of default.m3lib. However, that ended up on a hard disc that I keep off-site, so I started from stratch to see how long it would take.

It was nowhere near as bad as the first time I scanned the library. I guess it matches the metadata with results on their server and whittles through the whole lot quite quickly. Did the whole lot overnight. Guessing about 4 hours, most of which was actually scanning the disc to determine which ones need analysis.

MeSue
2010-01-20, 09:00
Aren't there other files that need to be backed up, eg. to retain custom filters, etc. i.e. this time I lost my music library content (default.m3lib was 0 bytes), but not my filters.

I was thinking default.m3lib did contain the filters, but you're right that it doesn't. I was taking a backup of the m3lib file so I could open it on my desktop machine and poke around in it. When I do that, I don't get the same filters. Those are probably in the *.m3usr file--I should probably back that up too.

Glad the rescan didn't take very long.

maggior
2010-01-20, 09:10
Has anyone had occurances like this? Any ideas what causes the loss of library data? Any successes in backup/restoration of musicIP data files, to avoid long rescans?

That's strange - I've been using MusicIP for quite a while and haven't seen this happen.

Did this occur after you updated your library or just at some random time?

Philip Meyer
2010-01-20, 16:09
>Did this occur after you updated your library or just at some random
>time?
Not sure exactly when it got truncated, but I hadn't been doing anything out of the ordinary. I opened the MusicIP web server page, and it showed 0 songs. Something within 1/2 a day had caused it; no log messages, etc.