PDA

View Full Version : amazon cancelled today

powellmi
2010-01-19, 14:50
my order from October 2009 was cancelled just today.
Main reason: No delivery date for Touch
Hard to believe that this product is not ready for shipping.
The HW looks great and SW on the Controller lis working good so far.
Several beta users of the Touch seem to be hapy - So what is the real
problem? Maybe Logitech is waiting to earn more money with this product?!
I'm really looking to get the Tocu installed in my living room

Cheers

Michael

BrianB
2010-01-19, 14:57
Maybe Logitech is waiting to earn more money with this product?!

Only thing I can think of is it is a long term issue, or a production problem. I can't imagine they're making more money if it just comes out with the current specs, same as the beta. That's be 6 months in lost sales, including holiday. And now they're having preorders canceled.

The delay has me researching and seriously considering other options. The Touch, as it is currently planned, has some great advantages, but my vortex box is on the way and I can see myself getting antsy as I start ripping my collection.

I was definitely willing to wait until Feb or maybe even March, but a developer on another thread said it is "months" (plural!) away from release.

DaveWr
2010-01-19, 15:23
I assume that Amazon will have internal rules about their order book accounting, they probably need to clear orders that have indeterminate fulfillment date.

In the current situation I believe you have three options:

Look elsewhere - I doubt you will find a multi-room solution that operates better than Squeeze stuff. The issue is future confidence, Logitech is a major player, they must be committed, they will get there. IMHO while AndyG keeps going it will happen.

Wait - if you currently have nothing, then not that practical.

Substitute an SB3 - reliable, loads in use, very good (in my opinion for my usage better). Either distribution for last stock or E**y.

I have a Linn DS system for my main HiFi but continue to use SB3s and Booms for house coverage, and I will buy more. (I don't personally believe in the Transporter future)

Hang in there.

Dave

erland
2010-01-19, 23:21
Only thing I can think of is it is a long term issue, or a production problem. I can't imagine they're making more money if it just comes out with the current specs, same as the beta. That's be 6 months in lost sales, including holiday. And now they're having preorders canceled.

As mentioned in other places, it's just that the software isn't finished yet.

A lot of people might have pre-ordered it for the possibility to use the built-in server and this is the part of the software that isn't completely bug free yet. My beta testing unit has worked great in my living room as a standalone player with external server for months.

If you don't want to use the built-in server you would probably be satisfied with the current version but remember that other people that have pre-ordered it might rely on the built-in server and will get a device they can't use yet.

If you can afford it, get a Radio for the kitchen/bedroom now and get the Touch for the listening room later when it's available, you are probably going to want them both in the end anyway.

It's hard to know exactly when the Touch will be released, so I'd suggest that anyone in desperate need for it get one of the existing Squeezebox products and upgrade to the Touch later. This is a lot better than just sit and wait while it gets delayed more than you expect. The existing products are great and it's great to have more than one Squeezebox, so you will probably not have any problem finding a use for several units or selling the old unit when the Touch is available.

dave77
2010-01-20, 03:48
A lot of people might have pre-ordered it for the possibility to use the built-in server and this is the part of the software that isn't completely bug free yet. My beta testing unit has worked great in my living room as a standalone player with external server for months.

If you don't want to use the built-in server you would probably be satisfied with the current version but remember that other people that have pre-ordered it might rely on the built-in server and will get a device they can't use yet.

Maybe Logitech could ship to those that have pre-ordered and don't need the server :)

kesey
2010-01-20, 04:24
Maybe Logitech could ship to those that have pre-ordered and don't need the server :)

I'd certainly be happy to take delivery of the Touch which I've got on order now as is, and play away with it for the duration.

Muele
2010-01-20, 04:42
Sure a lot of people would be content with the touch as it is.

But for Logitech I think it is really important that is in a really good state when launched. Reason: There will be a gazillion reviews right upon launch. Launch with mediocre software will result in bad reviews, that will haunt the product forever even if the software is fixed two weeks later.
Logitech mised the holliday season and now they just want it to be bloody perfect when released. For not-yet-customers it doesn't really matter if sales starts two months later if they haven't heard about the product yet anyway.

Just my 0.02$/ on the matter.

maggior
2010-01-20, 08:26
Sure a lot of people would be content with the touch as it is.

But for Logitech I think it is really important that is in a really good state when launched. Reason: There will be a gazillion reviews right upon launch. Launch with mediocre software will result in bad reviews, that will haunt the product forever even if the software is fixed two weeks later.
Logitech mised the holliday season and now they just want it to be bloody perfect when released. For not-yet-customers it doesn't really matter if sales starts two months later if they haven't heard about the product yet anyway.

Just my 0.02$/ on the matter.

I agree. The holiday shopping season has passed and there is really nothing to gain by trying to push it out the door before it is ready. Yes, people are chomping on the bit for the Touch and are getting impatient. However, once it is out and gains traction, the anxiety of the wait will quickly fade. People then will be fixated on how well it works.

I hope that they are making good use of the time that they are taking because if they are, I think it will pay off in a big way! This is a critical product for them and I'm sure they recognize this.

BrianB
2010-01-20, 10:21
If you can afford it, get a Radio for the kitchen/bedroom now and get the Touch for the listening room later when it's available, you are probably going to want them both in the end anyway.

My house is already wired with two zones, so I don't need any satellite players. This is why I am trying to figure out now if I need the Touch or not.

iPhone
2010-01-20, 10:53
Main reason: No delivery date for Touch
Hard to believe that this product is not ready for shipping.
The HW looks great and SW on the Controller lis working good so far.
Several beta users of the Touch seem to be hapy - So what is the real
problem? Maybe Logitech is waiting to earn more money with this product?!
I'm really looking to get the Tocu installed in my living room

Cheers

Michael

The product was produced months ago. Touches are stacked up in warehouses and just waiting to be released for delivery. The hardware is ready, the firmware/software doesn't yet completely meet what the printing on the box says it can/will do.

Does the Touch work at this time, it does. Is the software ready for consumers, in my opinion not just yet. It is very close and getting more finalized every day.

I think it is a big mistake to cancel ones order when the unit is this close to shipping. Now if one wants one, they have to go to the end of the line. I don't know how many pre-orders there are, but I would bet it will eat up most of the ones in stock.

Mr.Vlad
2010-01-20, 14:17
Hello everybody!
First of all, sorry for my bad english (I'm from Russia).
Amazon.com does not send squeezeboxes to Russia, so some days ago I tried to place a PREorder on www.bhphotovideo.com. But I couldn't do it - there was an explanation that "touches are not in stock" or "we don't know the date of shipment", or something else - I do not remember.
But today (an hour ago) I could place an order, and they took money from my credit card, and there is confirmation of the order in my email box.
But there is a phrase "Usually ships in 7-14 business days" near Touch on www.bhphotovideo.com so I think that real day of shippment will be at the end of January or at the beginning of February.
But I think that it's not bad, because it's not an April :-)

BrianB
2010-01-20, 16:11
Vlad is correct:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/669438-REG/Logitech_930_000074_Squeezebox_Touch_Network_Music .html

Keenzo says "sold out until 1/25"

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=LOGITECH_930-000074&ID=4218834

usch
2010-01-20, 17:51
I don't know how many pre-orders there are, but I would bet it will eat up most of the ones in stock.
They had three months by now to build more. :)

There is just one thing I am still confused about. With the built-in server there should be no reason for a Touch owner to connect any Squeezebox to MySB.com any more, ever, as long as the Touch is running. But then I seem to have read between the lines somewhere that TinySC only starts up when an external drive is connected. That would kind of defeat the purpose. Did I just misread something?

Oh, and another question that came to my mind while I wrote the above: Will TinySC support the SB1, or will I get the infamous "Sorry, you need a newer Squeezebox" message?

aubuti
2010-01-20, 20:24
There is just one thing I am still confused about. With the built-in server there should be no reason for a Touch owner to connect any Squeezebox to MySB.com any more, ever, as long as the Touch is running. But then I seem to have read between the lines somewhere that TinySC only starts up when an external drive is connected. That would kind of defeat the purpose. Did I just misread something?

Oh, and another question that came to my mind while I wrote the above: Will TinySC support the SB1, or will I get the infamous "Sorry, you need a newer Squeezebox" message?
I don't see where connecting to mysb.com when there is no local library (ie, no external drive) is defeating the purpose. Unnecessary maybe. But what do you see TinySBS doing that mysb.com wouldn't be doing if there is no local library? Or are you thinking about the problems with the mysb servers staying up?

At one point a few months ago the devs were saying that support for SliMP3 and SB1 would be turned off by default, because they actually demand more of the server than later players do. One could turn that support on via a command line switch of TinySBS. Whether that is still true I do not know. I do know that if SliMP3 and SB1 are supported, it will only be for codecs that they play natively, such as MP3, and not FLAC.

And great point about how they've given themselves time to build up a huge stock of SBT hardware!

Mnyb
2010-01-22, 08:23
The product was produced months ago. Touches are stacked up in warehouses and just waiting to be released for delivery. The hardware is ready, the firmware/software doesn't yet completely meet what the printing on the box says it can/will do.

Does the Touch work at this time, it does. Is the software ready for consumers, in my opinion not just yet. It is very close and getting more finalized every day.

I think it is a big mistake to cancel ones order when the unit is this close to shipping. Now if one wants one, they have to go to the end of the line. I don't know how many pre-orders there are, but I would bet it will eat up most of the ones in stock.

Eh was it not so that *amazon* canceled his order not the OP himself ? thats the bad thing, amazon is canceling already taken preorders ?

BrianB
2010-01-22, 08:46
Just FYI, Amazon asked my to "approve" my preorder today. I had to click a link, check "approve", and click "update". It gave me until 2/20 to do this, but anyone with amazon preorders should probably keep a lookout for this notice. I placed the order on 12/22, so this notice came exactly one month after I made the request.

mlsstl
2010-01-22, 08:52
Just FYI, Amazon asked my to "approve" my preorder today. I had to click a link, check "approve", and click "update". It gave me until 2/20 to do this, but anyone with amazon preorders should probably keep a lookout for this notice. I placed the order on 12/22, so this notice came exactly one month after I made the request.

I receive a nearly identical notice from Amazon (just different dates.)

I've always found Amazon very good about notifying me if there are any issues with an order.

adamslim
2010-01-30, 01:51
I've always found Amazon very good about notifying me if there are any issues with an order.

Be nice if Logitech did - I've not heard a peep from them since my order in October!

I know that software can be rather indeterminate, but this is getting silly. Giving out sensible information is vital to good customer service.

thewebgal
2010-01-31, 07:11
well, I've had Amazon requests for cancellations on movies and things before -
just confirm that you are still interested and they'll extend the date and keep you in the que.

I saw a Duet system at a friend's house last weekend and it seemed like a very friendly way to manage
the music library (30k song, 270gig on my mac mini up in my office) from the TV/Stereo room.
Have an Airport Extreme on the mac (802.11/g/n) and an appleTV on the stereo, but its kind of buggy -
I think their main interest is renting movies and selling music and I don't do either from Apple (do that with TIVOHD & Netflicks)
The Duet system was neat, but he had it hard wired with an ethernet cable to his mini a few rooms over.

I worry about charging issues with that fancy remote and think the Touch (with a simpler remote) might be better for our needs.
But who knows? I can't see one, can't get my hands on it for a demo ... it seems you folks are the only ones really talking about it!

I did load squeezebox server on my mac - but am awaiting a purchase to make any use of it!

nicklouse
2010-02-02, 17:15
Well i have just ordered my Touch. with a delivery date of about the 23nd Feb.

If it arrives that week i will be surprised but they were insistent that they could.

If it does not then i will wait as i am happy with the SB3 that it will be substituted for and the 3 goes elsewhere with some active speakers.

Almost went for a duet but. I have iPeng on the iPhone so why bother ;)

tomasito
2010-02-14, 21:55
where did you purhcase the pre-order with a delivery date of 2/23?

GordyInMA-USA
2010-02-15, 10:56

I received a notice from Amazon about two weeks ago asking me if I wanted to continue my order for the Squeezebox Touch. All I did was answer yes, and my order is still in place. As of last Wednesday, the 10th of February, Customer Service still haden't received information from Logitech about actual ship dates. Since I'm not in a rush, I'll just hunker down and continue to wait.

ziggyb63
2010-02-15, 13:28
I received a notice from Amazon about two weeks ago asking me if I wanted to continue my order for the Squeezebox Touch. All I did was answer yes, and my order is still in place....... Since I'm not in a rush, I'll just hunker down and continue to wait.
Same here, 2 days ago.

albright
2010-02-15, 13:58
we should set a pool - bet on which comes out
first: radio battery pack or touch :)

FredFredrickson
2010-02-16, 10:36
we should set a pool - bet on which comes out
first: radio battery pack or touch :)

I think that the radio battery is waiting for 7.5 to release.. so trick question! They come out the same day!

tcutting
2010-02-16, 10:40
I think that the radio battery is waiting for 7.5 to release.. so trick question! They come out the same day!

Actually, my understanding is the 7.4.2 release will address the Radio battery. I think 7.5 is the Touch release.

FredFredrickson
2010-02-16, 17:57
Actually, my understanding is the 7.4.2 release will address the Radio battery. I think 7.5 is the Touch release.

Well there's to wishful thinking that the touch would be sooner (or pessimism that the battery would be later!) :P