PDA

View Full Version : Pandora One over Squeezebox

Dmatt
2010-01-18, 23:10
Hi, long-time lurker here.

I just upgraded to Pandora One (with 192kbps streaming) but it appears I am still getting low res streaming through the Squeezebox server (128k CBR, MP3). Does anyone know if there is a change I have to make either on 'settings' or on mysqueezebox.com?

Thanks,

David
(3 SB3s; 2 Receivers; Transporter)

Dmatt
2010-01-18, 23:16
Apologies to the Moderator. I clearly screwed-up and meant to post the Pandora One question in the 3rd Party Plug-ins, not 3rd Party Hardware.

If you could move it I would appreciate it. Otherwise, please feel free to delete and I will repost.

(Maybe I should stick with lurking)

David

aubuti
2010-01-19, 05:46
Pandora has still not provided the necessary API for streaming 192kbps to Squeezeboxes. Both Pandora and Logitech are aware of the issue. In fact, I believe Pandora's site specifically states that the 192k stream is currently limited to their web player.

Dmatt
2010-01-19, 07:42
Aubuti,

Thanks for the response.

Based on your info, I went back to the Pandora site and looked more closely. I found mention of that fact in their FAQs:

"* High Quality 192Kbps audio streams, the highest-quality streaming music-discovery available in the US, for every song in our collection. High Quality 192Kbps streams are currently available for:
- Pandora on the Web (on your computer via www.Pandora.com and the Mini Tuner),
- Pandora One Desktop Application
NOTE: Pandora Mobile and Pandora In-Home Devices do not currently support 192Kbps streams, although we're very interested in expanding High Quality audio options at some point in the future."

But it wasn't on the 'upgrade now' page that describes 192kbps streaming as one of the advantages. I suppose I shouldn't assume these things.

Thanks again.

David

aubuti
2010-01-19, 07:49
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one who had that expectation. Several others have posted with similar comments. It wouldn't hurt to give Pandora a nudge to encourage them to act on this.

andyg
2010-01-19, 07:52
I even bugged Tim @ Pandora about it on Twitter the other day, they are definitely aware of the issue.

dts
2010-01-19, 11:22
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one who had that expectation. Several others have posted with similar comments. It wouldn't hurt to give Pandora a nudge to encourage them to act on this.

Sent Pandora an email yesterday. Here's their reply:

Thanks for sharing your feedback Don.... We're working on a new app that should allow Squeezebox listeners to stream the music at a higher audio bit rate in the near future.
Until that time, you can use the Pandora One subscription service to ensure you do not hear any advertisements when listening to Pandora on any supported device and enjoy the other subscription benefits when listening to Pandora on a Windows or MAC computer.

Keep an eye on our blog page for updates on new app releases over the next few months... Enjoy the Rhapsody music service and hope to see you back on Pandora in the future - Paula / Pandora Listener Support
PANDORA - Internet Radio
Check out additional features offered for Pandora One Subscription Accounts - http://www.pandora.com/pandora_one

Don Schlack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've considered subscribing to Pandora One until I found out that I wouldn't get the 192k bps when listening via
> my SqueezeBox.
>
> That is why I'm now a subscriber to Rhapsody.
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=488116&highlight=rhapsody#post488116 <http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=488116&highlight=rhapsody#post488116>
>
> Regards,
>
> Don

lreinstein
2011-10-19, 13:41
I wonder why it is taking so long for Pandora to move on this issue? And also why they cannot compete with the 320Kbps stream offered by SPOTIFY??

Larry