PDA

View Full Version : Best audio format for streaming wifi

H Rusak
2010-01-14, 21:13
I am about to rip my entire cd collection (1000+) and am wondering which format to use. I was planning on using iTunes to rip cds and then stream over wifi to squeezebox touch (when released). I am thinking it best to use WAV (as opposed to Apple Lossless), but are there issues with streaming WAV size files (given that Squeezebox is limited to G). Is there a better solution?

davep
2010-01-14, 21:33
I am about to rip my entire cd collection (1000+) and am wondering which format to use. I was planning on using iTunes to rip cds and then stream over wifi to squeezebox touch (when released). I am thinking it best to use WAV (as opposed to Apple Lossless), but are there issues with streaming WAV size files (given that Squeezebox is limited to G). Is there a better solution?

FLAC has clear advantages as a solution:
1. Decent compression level to help streaming bandwidth
2. Compression is LOSLESS
3. Native support in SB players
4. Supports full range of tags (unlike WAV)
5. Free and not tied to proprietary company

Disadvantage for your plan is the iTunes does not rip to FLAC. However several other well designed and supported prograns do such as EAC and DbPoweramp on Windows and Xact or Max for OSX.

Many, many people here on the forum use FLAC so support for any quesitons is plentiful.

davep

MrSinatra
2010-01-14, 23:51
itunes BLOWS.

FLAC is good but afaik it only reduces filesize to ~60% of original wav size.

if you need better, i use 256kbps mp3 which is about 7 to 1 compression ratio.

bernt
2010-01-15, 00:04
http://flac.sourceforge.net/itunes.html

servies
2010-01-15, 06:55
itunes BLOWS.

FLAC is good but afaik it only reduces filesize to ~60% of original wav size.

if you need better, i use 256kbps mp3 which is about 7 to 1 compression ratio.
I guess he wants losless and in that case mp3 is out of the question...
And if diskspace is the only reason to switch to mp3 then I see no reason to switch to mp3, I just buy a (extra|bigger) disk...
And as far as I know gapless playback is 'impossible' for mp3 without tricks...

wavfan
2010-01-15, 09:54
My 2 cents on this:

You should definitely use a lossles format : FLAC, WAV or AIFF.
The latter is afaik a "proprietary format", i.e. you can risk that some of the tools available are not able to handle it. FLAC and WAV are by far the most common one's.
When we have 1TB MP3-players, they should perhaps be called FLAC-players in stead ?

Personally I use WAV format - and live with that.
As mentioned, FLAC will give you possibilities for update of album-art and various tags. The tagging is mostly a blessing, what I can understand, but it may cause trouble for some.... You should plan your library structure and your tags. Think that old forum threads here will help you.

Regarding streaming: I have a setup using an "old" XP-notebook, sending to access point, and the from there to SB3 (passsing the SB3 along the way). Haven't had any problems with that. Notebook network is about 4% utilized, on average. (G-mode like). Any problems should come from CPU-load (other applications than SC), or interference from other wi-fi.

Mnyb
2010-01-15, 10:00
And if diskspace is the only reason to switch to mp3 then I see no reason to switch to mp3, I just buy a (extra|bigger) disk...

+1 and one also wants rip lossles anyway, even you plan to use mp3 batch converting is easy, otherwise you will rerip in the future. And a lossles rip is a complete backup of the CD for the future, harddisc cost is no concern compared to 1000 CD's by more drives.
And don't forget to backup , 100'ds of hours of ripping and tagging is worth something.

MrSinatra
2010-01-15, 11:03

its not just diskspace, it can also be a matter of bandwidth esp over wifi, but yes of course sonically lossless flac is the best way to go. (SBS does mp3 gapless)

agillis
2010-01-15, 11:14
With all those CDs you might consider a dedicated ripping/music server. Have you taken a look at VortexBox?

jimbo45
2010-01-16, 15:28
Hi all FLAC is fine

BTW FLAC is a PERFECT backup for your CD's -- you can using NERO and the MEGA codec plugin re-create an Audio CD image should you need it again which you can then mount as an ISO.

Gracenote etc will retrieve all the CD info just like the original -- so it's a perfect backup too.

The best way in ripping CD's to FLAC is to use something like EAC (slower) or Winamp. Both these will incorporate tags.

I keep my library in blocks of 100 CD's -- each CD is titled and then the tracks are written in the CD title folder.

I've ripped around 1000 CD's at the moment -- got about another 500 to go.

a 1.5 TB disk is really cheap now -- also seen some WD passport 500GB self powered pocket USB disks in PC world (UK) on offer at around 45 GBP -- so disc space shouldn't be a problem. I prefer FLAC to WAV as it means I don't have to spread my LOSSLESS files over 2 or more disks -- makes for easier backup etc etc.

No probs playing on Squeezebox duet or Squeezebox Radio -- I might even get a "Touch" later -- but for a lot of purposes I LOVE the radio -- really NEED the re-chargeable battery however -- that would really make the device a PERFECT piece of kit for a "round the house" system.

Cheers
jimbo

aubuti
2010-01-16, 22:01
its not just diskspace, it can also be a matter of bandwidth esp over wifi, but yes of course sonically lossless flac is the best way to go. (SBS does mp3 gapless)
Low bandwidth is not a great argument for ripping to lossy codecs, since bitrate limiting is available, and can even be restricted to the particular player(s) where bandwidth is a problem. Then after getting the network straightened out just turn off bitrate limiting, without the waste of re-ripping.