PDA

View Full Version : SB3 "Your Player Was Not Found"

Actuary
2010-01-13, 22:53
This is a sudden problem; I have never had an issue like this with my SB.
I came home one night and SB3 was unable to connect to the squeezecenter.

My set up:
Computer_1: Laptop with squeezecenter software, wireless
Computer_2: Desktop with music, wired
SB3 wireless

SB3 connects no problem to the network. In fact, I can play Internet Radio.
Squeezcenter can see the Music on the other computer no problem
The only issue is the SB3 and squeezecenter can't "see" each other, apparently

I added the 3 Ports as exceptions to my linksys router, after Tech suggested that. It made no difference. Of course the Windows Firewall exceptions are also set.

I have reset to factory settings on SB multiple times, to no avail, obv.

Control Panel indicates all oks, IP Address, pings, etc.

Version 7.4.1 - r28947
Operating System Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Antivirus: Free version of "PC TOOLS ANTIVIRUS" which I don't think has a firewall. No place to put exceptions. I've always used this and no problem with blocking SB3.

Please remember this set up has worked for months. This is a new problem that seemingly occurred out of the blue.

What would you try next?

Please help me.

thank you for your time.

toby10
2010-01-14, 03:18
I'd start with a complete system re-boot, including turning off router, modem, PC, players.
If you haven't tried this already. :)

kphinney
2010-01-14, 14:54
This may be basic, but just to be sure your SServer is operating, can you access it via the web interface?
Resetting the server to factory settings may prevent it from retaining the "Start on Boot" setting.

Actuary
2010-01-14, 17:39
I can open the SServer via internet no problem.
I'll have to wait until I'm home later to try the idea of rebooting everything in the chain.

kphinney
2010-01-14, 17:45
My set up:
Computer_1: Laptop with squeezecenter software, wireless
Computer_2: Desktop with music, wired
SB3 wireless

Just so I understand your thinking and have more info, why is the server software on the laptop and the music on the PC?

Actuary
2010-01-14, 19:05
Just so I understand your thinking and have more info, why is the server software on the laptop and the music on the PC?

The desktop has more memory. While the laptop is conveniently downstairs.

kphinney
2010-01-14, 19:30
I'd recommend running the server on the PC along with the files -- you can still access all of the functions (and the same web interface) from the laptop by going to the PC's ip address followed by :9000 (i.e. 192.168.1.100:9000).

Actually, just about any web enabled device can access the server this way (iPhone, some cells, netbooks, other PCs in the house, etc.)

This cuts down on the networking issues associated with internal dynamic addresses, and perhaps any latency issues. While I'm not sure if that will alleviate any of your current issues, it will certainly make lower the potential for issues. Likewise, you'll only need one PC operative to access your music.

Back to your current issue:
When I asked if you could access the SServer via the web interface it'd be helpful if you could attempt to access it via another computer in the house. This will show us if the IP address is okay or if any type of firewall has accidentally blocked comms.

Actuary
2010-01-18, 01:43
well, it worked. (I would've tried it sooner but "why in the world would that make a difference, it's always worked fine like this" :) )

I put SServer on the desktop with the music. At first it said "Can't Find Player" but once I went to the player and stepped thru the process of connecting it (again) to the network, they found each other.
And thanks for the tip about :9000, I did not know how simple that was.

So, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth; but this sorta thing always happens to me with regards to technology.
1. I can't get it to work
2. I do a bunch of stuff
3. It works
4. I have no idea why it didn't work before.
5. I move on.

lol.

well, thanks again!

kphinney
2010-01-19, 15:37
well, it worked. (I would've tried it sooner but "why in the world would that make a difference, it's always worked fine like this" :) )

I put SServer on the desktop with the music. At first it said "Can't Find Player" but once I went to the player and stepped thru the process of connecting it (again) to the network, they found each other.
And thanks for the tip about :9000, I did not know how simple that was.

So, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth; but this sorta thing always happens to me with regards to technology.
1. I can't get it to work
2. I do a bunch of stuff
3. It works
4. I have no idea why it didn't work before.
5. I move on.

lol.

well, thanks again!

Quite welcome. I'm glad I got something right.