PDA

View Full Version : Volume Levelling iPod & Squeezebox?

Japes
2010-01-10, 03:35
Hi,

I have about 6000 (and growing) .mp3 files that I normalize the volume of using iVolume. I believe this works by altering/adding the ItunNorn tag to the files which my ipod is able to read.

This seems to have no effect on the Squeezebox Boom or Radio that I have.

Could anyone please suggest any method that might allow me to normalize the volume on both the ipod & the squeezebox devices?

Thanks

JP

garym
2010-01-10, 06:30
run your files through something that can add replaygain (album and track). foobar2000 will do this and I'm told winamp may do this to. Easy to do, doesn't alter audio (just writes tags) and doesn't interfere with your ITUNORM values. If your tags are good (album and artist names, etc.), you can do this in one large batch. When I did this years ago for about 50,000 files it was easy and useful. At the time the only thing that didn't work exactly right (using foobar) was my complilation albums. I had to redo the replaygain analysis as it didn't treat each album as an album. But this was my noob error and I could have changed the settings to even make this work.

Once you have these tags, set SMART GAIN in SB settings. This will use album value when playing an entire album and track gain when mixing across albums.

Japes
2010-01-10, 07:48
run your files through something that can add replaygain (album and track). foobar2000 will do this and I'm told winamp may do this to. Easy to do, doesn't alter audio (just writes tags) and doesn't interfere with your ITUNORM values. If your tags are good (album and artist names, etc.), you can do this in one large batch. When I did this years ago for about 50,000 files it was easy and useful. At the time the only thing that didn't work exactly right (using foobar) was my complilation albums. I had to redo the replaygain analysis as it didn't treat each album as an album. But this was my noob error and I could have changed the settings to even make this work.

Once you have these tags, set SMART GAIN in SB settings. This will use album value when playing an entire album and track gain when mixing across albums.

Thanks,

I'll have a look at foobar2000.

I was worried that what ever I did for one, might effect the other!

JP

Japes
2010-01-11, 04:27
Right I have used Foobar2000 to normalize my mp3files and it's worked, but...

When I turn on the 'Smart Gain' on the squeezebox devices, although the volume between tracks is now uniform, it is also a lot lower, so much so that I'm having to turn the volume up too 100 to get the same sort of volume I was getting at 50 :-(

Any way to cure this?

Thanks

JP

garym
2010-01-11, 08:51
since most modern music is too loud, replaygain lowers the volume. Make sure that both your SB server volume is turned up as well as your amp/preamp volume. Even with replaygain applied, I'm only at about a quarter a turn for normal focused listening (not background listening)on my preamp/amp setup (150 watts per channel power I believe). I have been stumped occasionally when I didn't realize I had turned down the volume on my squeezebox player itself too low..

Japes
2010-01-11, 09:14
since most modern music is too loud, replaygain lowers the volume. Make sure that both your SB server volume is turned up as well as your amp/preamp volume. Even with replaygain applied, I'm only at about a quarter a turn for normal focused listening (not background listening)on my preamp/amp setup (150 watts per channel power I believe). I have been stumped occasionally when I didn't realize I had turned down the volume on my squeezebox player itself too low..

I'm using a boom and a radio, no separate amp/preamp.

You mention turning up the volume on the SB server, how do I do that? (I'm running my server on an old pc running vortexbox. (sorry if that's a stupid question, I'm new to all this)

JP

garym
2010-01-11, 10:01
I have a boom too and don't notice a low volume. On your vortebox you must be running an instance of SqueezeboxServer (in my case, it is running on my windows machine). Can you go to the web interface for SbS? For example, in a web browser, you should enter:

http://192.168.1.11:9000/

where "192.168.1.11" is the address of your vertebox machine running SbS. This should take you to the web interface for SB. then on lower right side click on SETTINGS, then look for the tab for PLAYERS, and then select the dropdown menu for audio and try setting the volume here (maybe just option to leave at max 100% or control from player). Not sure about boom as I'm away from home.

But bottom line, using replaygain WILL lower the volume. But as long as you can use the volume settings on your BOOM to play it as loud as you want, this is the way it is supposed to work. If you have SB use the replaygain info and it is not quieter, then something is likely wrong. But again, the next step is to then use the Boom volume to get the loudness you want.

Japes
2010-01-11, 12:18
Right I've tried that, I can't see any volume option apart from line in, which I guess isn't what I'm looking for.

All my mp3's play quieter (but at a similar level) when I apply volume adjustment, so I guess the replaygain is working, it's just I wish they a louder then they are, full volume is still 'comfortable' to listen to when volume adjustment is applied!

JP

garym
2010-01-11, 15:35
Perhaps some others could comment on how loud a BOOM will play. I'm not a good test case, because I use my Boom at bedside, so never have it particularly loud. For "loud" I have TRANSPORTER into home primary stereo setup or DUET into Home A/V setup.

p.s. there is a way I think in foobar of changing the target db for the replaygain scanning. I believe the default is 89db and I recall some folks changing it to 92db or something like that to get "louder" files

Japes
2010-01-11, 15:43
p.s. there is a way I think in foobar of changing the target db for the replaygain scanning. I believe the default is 89db and I recall some folks changing it to 92db or something like that to get "louder" files

I found that setting for changing the target db, I tried it on a couple of Albums but the volume is still down. I think for the time being I'll turn off the volume normalise setting. I mainly listen to whole albums, so I'll just tweak the volume as needed.

It would be nice if there was a way to normalise and boost the volume at the same time, but it looks like I'm on a hiding to nothing with that one :-(

Anyway thanks for your input on this :-)