PDA

View Full Version : Ipod like device wanted next please

jimbo45
2010-01-06, 04:40
Hi all

I LOVE the Duet and Radio. Now what I'd also love is a small Ipod sized player which could pick up the audio stream from your server which we could listen to with a pair of headphones.

The current controller is far to big and bulky for this purpose - also the battery life isn't that great either if you are away from the charger for a longish period.

Maybe a new controller could be designed which would serve also as an "Ipod".

One of the HUGE advantages of the Squeezebox system is that I can play FLAC files directly, and another of course is that you don't need an internal storage medium for your music.

Cheers
jimbo

jeebers
2010-01-06, 04:45
Without meaning to sound flippant I think the answer to this one is, er, get an iPod! There's at least one app on the store already which does exactly what you're asking for (although I haven't used it) and iPeng will add streaming functionality in a future update.
There's no way that Logitech would be able to compete with an iPod / App combination at a reasonable price, let alone with all the other functionality you get in an iPod Touch / iPhone.

m1abrams
2010-01-06, 07:46
Without meaning to sound flippant I think the answer to this one is, er, get an iPod! There's at least one app on the store already which does exactly what you're asking for (although I haven't used it) and iPeng will add streaming functionality in a future update.
There's no way that Logitech would be able to compete with an iPod / App combination at a reasonable price, let alone with all the other functionality you get in an iPod Touch / iPhone.

What about a shuffle type device? I.E. no display, tiny, just the ability to adj. volume, play/pause/skip. You basically setup a playlist on the server via some means (controller, web page, iPeng). Then use the "shufflebox" to listen and play/pause the playlist. Such a device could probably be built pretty cheap and have pretty decent battery life. If the wifi range was decent I could see using it on the patio and doing yardwork, in the garage, etc.

maggior
2010-01-06, 08:16
I want a squeezebox that is a neural implant so I can listen to music from anyplace in my house :-). It could be called the SBe, Squeezebox Embedded. The display could be projected on the back of my corneas.

On a more serious note, I like the idea of using an iPod Touch with iPeng. This way the device serves 3 purposes - act as a SB controller, act as a portable squeezebox I can use with headphones, and, well, act as an iPod. I'm just waiting for iPeng to support playback and for the iPod touch to have as much or more storage than my 80GB iPod.

I agree that Logitech would really be behind the curve to compete in an area like this.

indifference_engine
2010-01-06, 15:31
I just want a port of SqueezePlay or iPeng to Symbian so I can use my Nokia as a portable player easily (there is a hard way to do it).

agillis
2010-01-06, 18:39
Just remember the iPod can't stream music by default. You need something like Simplify Media to get the music from your NAS to the iPod.