Pages : [1] 2

truehl
2010-01-05, 14:25
This thread is closed, please visit:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=76466

Greeting,
Thomas

Hi,
the last Weeks I’ve tested a lot with my SheevaPlug to find the best setup for a SheevaPlug as a Squeezeboxserver (SBS). I now think that I’ve found an optimal solution and I want to let you participate in my experiences. I also profit from documentations found in the net. Nothing I write here is original from me. But I’ve put the best and the efficient
together in one wiki. So If you are no linux expert this wiki will help you a lot to setup your own SBS.

I’ve tested:
1. SBS on the default ubuntu system (copied to a sd-card because of the limited storage space in the NAND).
2. SBS on Debian Lenny
3. SBS on Debian Squeeze
Ubuntu support for ARM-Prozessors (SheevaPlug uses this) ends with this version. SBS on Debian Lenny had some problems with the mysql-server I could'nt solve. Debian Squeeze runs very well. So I decided to use this setup. If you find some faults or improvements, tell me and I will put it in this wiki.

Please read the wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies

+++ 2010-02-23 New Blog is online now !!! http://squeezeplug.de/ New Image available here !!! +++

+++ 2010-02-05 Samba Share Connection added to the Wiki +++

+++ 2010-01-31 Wiki updated, some important changes are made, please note!!! +++

+++ 2010-01-27 Wiki available +++

Greetings, Thomas

kesey
2010-01-05, 16:52
Well done Thomas, your guide will be a great help.

Happy New Year,

kesey

bluegaspode
2010-01-06, 00:45
don't you want to upload it to the wiki ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Installation_guide

Just create a new section in link to the attachment.

It would be interesting to explain the differences to the existing tutorials (otherwise new users couldn't decide which one to use).

If yours is essentially the same (but better explained with more text) feel free to edit the existing text !

truehl
2010-01-06, 03:08
Thanks all for your feedback!!!
Before I put it in a wiki I want to discuss this documentation with you. I think that there is some room for improvement!

The difference between my documentation and others is that Iíve put all things together: Setting up Debian, installing SBS, connecting music library Ö and so on. It should be an installation guide for absolute Linux dummies (like me before), not asking why instead of just doing it step by step and in a very straight forward way. The other thing is that I plan to give interested people Images of the setup, so that they only have to do a minimum of changes to get a perfect SBS to work.

Iíve made two images: The first (Stage I) is only a debian squeeze linux for a 4GB sd-card. The second is a complete system with SBS, Webmin and the other things described in the Guide. At time Iím searching for a place from where interested people can download these Images. If someone has an idea, please tell me.

Greeting Thomas

raven22
2010-01-06, 05:27
I think the biggest issue for most people is to get the serial connection working via putty. It is described on the plugcomputer wiki, but it might be good to include it in this document.
There is the solution of buying the Sheeva from newit with the sd-card included, this solves the problem of setting up the booting from sd-card. But this costs a bit extra while it is quite easy to do it yourself.

fragfutter
2010-01-06, 05:33
some posts in this forum suggest that even shevvaplug+sd from newit still have the rootfs as ubifs on the nand.

truehl
2010-01-06, 12:29
+++ News: You can send me a personal message and I'll send you a link where you can download the two Images discriebed in the documentation. Stage I Image is a Debian Squeeze Basic Image. You can start from here using my documentaion. If you want to save time you can download the Stage II Image. It's a fully installed Debian Squeeze with SBS an everything as discriebed in the documenation. You only have to customize a few things. +++

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-07, 05:24
+++ 2010-01-07 News: I've added "10 steps to your squeezeboxserver on a sheevaplug" to the Guide +++

*** Please allways look at the first post in this thread I'm updating it frequently ***

drbob49
2010-01-07, 06:18
Hi,

It does seem a pity not to update the original wiki. The one thing I've found with the sheevaplug is that there a wide range of options at every stage: linux/windows as host machine; cu/minicom/putty; debian lenny, squeeze, ubuntu, ..; copy rootfs from nand, cyrius.com install, sheever install; nfs, samba, usb hdd etc. I've tried all bar NFS and copying the rootfs and I've found what works for me. Ideally, one source of documentation would be the most useful.

Just my 2c!

Bob

truehl
2010-01-07, 08:07
It does seem a pity not to update the original wiki.Bob I'll do this, when I've got a litle more feedback and be sure everything works!
The one thing I've found with the sheevaplug is that there a wide range of options at every stage: linux/windows as host machine; cu/minicom/putty; debian lenny, squeeze, ubuntu, ..; copy rootfs from nand, cyrius.com install, sheever install; nfs, samba, usb hdd etc. Bob Yes, you are right and therefor I tried to put all together. The other thing is, that you can use my Images to set up your SBS as quick as possible. Thats for all that have no fun to play arround with the sheeva.

Greetings,
Thomas

kunze
2010-01-09, 07:31
Hi,

since my Sheeva has arrived also I can add some comments to the guide.

First, I didn't install everything according to the guide.
Once you have debian running its quite easy to get SBS installed as described in the guide.

The thing I didn't install was Webmin. I guess its a little bit overkill if you just use the box as SBS.
Timezone can be configured on the command line quite easily:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

and I didn't install samba, I just use rsync over SSH to sync. the music to the USB HD attached to the sheeva.

Therefore I use a small script (modified the one found here: http://www.crazyhawt.com/2009/12/21/guide-keeping-your-music-servers-music-in-sync-with-your-main-macpc/)

Just install rsync on the sheeva:

apt-get install rsync

and then create that script on your Mac or linux box:

#!/bin/bash
#This script will sync music over SSH from your Mac / PC to your
#linux server! (e.g. the sheevaplug)
USER=michael
SERVER=sheeva
MAC_MUSIC=/Users/michael/Music/sheeva/
SHEEVA=/media/music/
chmod -R 755 $MAC_MUSIC
rsync -avz --delete -e ssh $MAC_MUSIC $USER@$SERVER:$SHEEVA

You might want to do the initial copy of large amounts of music with some other means as copying to the sheeva through SSH is not very fast. (about 5 MB/s). I didn't do that, so the copy process is currently ongoing.
Using rsync, I can tag and organize the music on my main computer and then just execute the script and it syncs all music.

Thats it currently. I guess some more experiences will follow later.

BR,
Michael

bluegaspode
2010-01-09, 07:59
After syncing music you should issue a rescan

# issue a rescan
(echo "rescan")|nc -w1 localhost 9090

my sync-script is started on the sheeva, so 'localhost' is used.
Insert your ShevaPlug-Network name there.

fragfutter
2010-01-09, 09:28
you can run rsync as a service from inetd (or xinetd). This provides higher througputs as it avoids the cryptographic overhead.

Croc
2010-01-09, 13:23
Thomas

My Sheevaplug and SD card arrived yesterday, and I've spent a rather fruitless day fiddling around with various suggested downloads to get it working. It seems to connect OK with the serial port and Putty recognises the box, but from then on I have to say I'm stumped. I'm afraid that I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to Linux, and your image files seem like a godsend to anybody like me. Sadly, having just registered with this forum, I can't, or do not have the rights, to email you personally in order to find out where to download from your specified image site.

Can you help me out? Where can I find the Stage II image?

Many thanks, and thanks to all for providing some insight into what seems to be a very complicated subject.

Greg

truehl
2010-01-10, 00:42
+++ 2010-01-10 News: I've got a lot of good feedback, thanks for that. Work is still in progress!!! Some of you told me, that there ist a problem with the downloads from the link I told them. I've now found a location for the Images and will store them later! Documentation will be updated soon!!! +++

truehl
2010-01-10, 13:12
+++ 2010-01-10 News: You can now download the Imgages here: http://x7.to/list/purffl. The Guide is updated +++

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-01-10, 13:38
Hi,
o.k. you see there is still a lot of work in progress to make this guide a real dummies guide. I’m working on it and be happy if you send me feedback. Tonight I’ll list the mayor things missing, what’s you opinion?
1. I think it’s a good idea to size down the images to 2 GB sd-cards because of two facts: If you 4 GB card is different from mine, maybe you get a problem because you can’t write the Image to the card. If I make a 2GB Image it will work on some 2GB cards but sure on every 4GB cards. The size of 2GB is enough for the most environments, if you need more, you can resize the card after copying the Image (use gparted or an other partitioning tool).
2. It would be good to have three images: One without SBS (Stage I) One with SBS (Stage II) and one with some extras like Webmin, etc.
3. I think it would be a good idea also to describe the Installation of the base debian system in this guide, instead of the link to the debian sheevaplug installer.
4. Maybe it helps to create an linux-based VM to access the sheevaplug.
5. It would be nice having a tool, witch collects the information for your environment and the put these information in the right files (fstab, interfaces etc.) by a script. Someone an idea?

What do you think, what else do you miss?

Greetings,
Thomas

stroom
2010-01-12, 13:54
Hi Thomas,

My Sheevaplug has been shipped and I would like to start the easy way by using your image. However, I do not manage to download the images by the links in the post (server error, I tried for 2 nights now) and do not know how to send a pm to you.
Any solution? (Maybe share the images using dropbox?)
If it doesn't work out with the images I try to follow the full guide.

Cheers,
stroom

truehl
2010-01-12, 14:05
+++ 2010-01-11 News: Guide is updated, added "Mounting of NTFS-Drives" +++

truehl
2010-01-12, 14:17
...However, I do not manage to download the images by the links in the post (server error, I tried for 2 nights now)stroom
I've yust tested it an it works, sont know what the problem is. Maybe someone else could try it???

... and do not know how to send a pm to you.
Any solution? (Maybe share the images using dropbox?)
If it doesn't work out with the images I try to follow the full guide. stroom Yust click on my name in the post. You can tell me a place to upload and I will do it! If nothing works, you have to use the guide. It's realy simple if you follow all the steps.

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-13, 15:11
Some of you reported errors with the download-link. So I made a new full blown Image (2GB-SD-Card) and uploaded it to a new site. Please try and report:

http://uploadhyper.com/signature/4af0bbf7f2.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/18698/Stage320100113.exe.html)

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-01-14, 04:47
O.K. from the download link I see, that some of you already downloaded the Stage3 Image. Could you please report here how the download and the new image works?! If it works well, I'll update two more Images at night. 3 Images are the available:

1. Stage1: Base-Image with debian squeeze and nothing else
2. Stage2: SBS-Light-Image with debian squeeze and only SBS server
3. Stage3: SBS-FullBlown-Image with debian squeeze, SBS, and webmin

Please tell me your experiences here in the forum,

Thanks, Thomas

stroom
2010-01-14, 12:33
O.K. from the download link I see, that some of you already downloaded the Stage3 Image. Could you please report here how the download and the new image works?! If it works well, I'll update two more Images at night. 3 Images are the available:

1. Stage1: Base-Image with debian squeeze and nothing else
2. Stage2: SBS-Light-Image with debian squeeze and only SBS server
3. Stage3: SBS-FullBlown-Image with debian squeeze, SBS, and webmin

Please tell me your experiences here in the forum,

Thanks, Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Thank you, I could download the image without problems now. I will let you know my experience once I used it here.
Cheers, stroom

truehl
2010-01-14, 14:15
Hi,
I've updated the guide and the images. Please take a look and feel free to comment!

Stage1: Base-Image with debian squeeze and nothing else:
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/77ac8e8fc1.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/18748/Stage120100113.exe.html)
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to setup you own customized server without using the preinstalled SBS server.

Stage2: SBS-Light-Image with debian squeeze and only SBS server:
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/91c24a5f67.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/18752/Stage220100113.exe.html)
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to use a preinstalled SBS server and don’t want to use webmin, samba and all the other stuff.

Stage3: SBS-FullBlown-Image with debian squeeze, SBS, and webmin
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/4af0bbf7f2.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/18698/Stage320100113.exe.html)
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to use a preinstalled SBS server with all the thinks I like and described here in the guide.

Greetings, Thomas

Croc
2010-01-16, 09:14
Thomas

Thanks for the new download links - I downloaded Stage 3 with no problems.

I'm beginning to feel like the dummy that your instructions are aimed at! How do I copy the expanded image file to the SD card. My card shows under Vista as a 3.8MB FAT32 partition and that's all. I'm assuming that the rest of the 4GB card is formatted to ext3 and has the OS loaded on it (the card came from NewIT). Running the USB Image Tool (from the Vista PC) only gives access to this 3.8MB, not the ext3 partition. I need to erase/reformat the ext. partition before I can copy the image to it, but I can't seem to get access to or even see the Linux partition. I'm obviously doing something wrong here, but I can't see what. Do I need to have Ubuntu installed on the Vista machine, maybe as a dual boot?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Greg

truehl
2010-01-16, 10:24
Thomas

How do I copy the expanded image file to the SD card. My card shows under Vista as a 3.8MB FAT32 partition and that's all. I'm assuming that the rest of the 4GB card is formatted to ext3 and has the OS loaded on it (the card came from NewIT). Running the USB Image Tool (from the Vista PC) only gives access to this 3.8MB, not the ext3 partition. I need to erase/reformat the ext. partition before I can copy the image to it, but I can't seem to get access to or even see the Linux partition. I'm obviously doing something wrong here, but I can't see what. Do I need to have Ubuntu installed on the Vista machine, maybe as a dual boot?

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Greg

Hi Greg, the image is a image with 3 partitions on it: A boot, a system and a swap-partition. If you set the USB-Image tool in the device mode, you can copy the whole image to the card with all three partitions. The Image is 2GB of size but you can also copy it to a 4GB card, that should work! You then use only half of the cards space. If you like you can expand the system partition later to the full space. Use a tool like gparted. I would suggest to make an Image from the card from NewIt with the same tool, so that you can go backwards later,

Hope that helps,
Greetings Thomas

Croc
2010-01-16, 11:10
Thomas

Fantastic! That did it perfectly. Now to change the IP addresses and I should be up and running. I realize now that I should have run the Image Tool prog as an Admin - that was why I couldn't do anything.

many thanks

Greg

truehl
2010-01-16, 11:12
Hi Greg,
fine, let me know how it works!!!

Greetings,
Thomas

Aidem
2010-01-16, 12:17
Hi Thomas
I must publicly thank you for your tireless efforts in providing forum members with straight forward instructions to get a SheevaPlug up and running with Debian Squeeze. Unfortunately your download images came too late for me but your original notes were a godsend.
I can confirm that your instructions for mounting a NTFS formatted USB disk also work for a USB flash drive. I emphasise to other users that the drive is mounted during BOOT up. This means it will start up automatically after an unplanned power down.
I apologise for not posting earlier but for some reason I could log in to the forum but not leave any posts.

Well Done.

Regards

Aidem (rnotap)

stroom
2010-01-17, 09:42
Hi Thomas,

I did not have succes using your stage3 image.
I bought the UBIFS version with Debian Squeeze on 4GB SDHC card from NewIT:
"Sheeva - Debian - Squeeze 4Gb SD Multi Boot".
On a separate card I put your image but the boot process got stuck (kernel panic ...).
(My idea was to start with your image to set-up squeezecenter as quickly and possible, and then try later to start tinkering with the system on a separate card.)
I then tried to backup the card that came from NewIT and did restore it to the other card. Using then the cloned card, the Sheevaplug booted normally, so the card and clone process (using the USB Image Tool) seems to work.

Having a backup of the original card I felt comfortable to start installing squeezecenter and this went without any problem.
(I like having the possibility to clone/backup my system to images with the USB Image Tool!)

Is there a reason that your image would not work on the UBIFS/multiboot version? I did not change the u-boot environment settings since I thought that was not necessary in my case. I just copied your image to the SDHC card and then tried to boot with this card.

I also just read that Croc seemed to have succes. Croc do you have the same configuration as I, or is the card from NewIT you refer to an empty card and was your Sheevaplug in the standard factory configuration?

Cheers, stroom

truehl
2010-01-17, 11:15
Is there a reason that your image would not work on the UBIFS/multiboot version? I did not change the u-boot environment settings since I thought that was not necessary in my case. I just copied your image to the SDHC card and then tried to boot with this card.Cheers, stroom

stroom: You have to change the u-boot environment settings! Without it it would'nt work! You can try everything without changing the setting permanently if you don't type the command "saveenv". Before you permanetly change a setting you should save the original setting of the variable. Do it with printenv [variable]. So simply type printenv bootargs and you will get the actual setting. Do it for every setting you want to change and write it down. To get all actual settings print "prinenv". Copy the whole output from putty in a text document and you'll be save!!!

Greetings Thomas

Additional:
I think the only variables to change are:
"bootcmd_mmc" and
"bootcmd"
The rest must be pretty much the same like the default of you plug.

stroom
2010-01-17, 13:33
Additional:
I think the only variables to change are:
"bootcmd_mmc" and
"bootcmd"
The rest must be pretty much the same like the default of you plug.

Thank you Thomas, your are right, the variables are different, this is how they are on my plug:

bootargs_root_mmc=root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
bootcmd_mmc=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root_mmc); mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x800000 /uImage; bootm 0x00800000
bootcmd=run bootcmd_mmc; run bootcmd_nand

Changing this would mean that I cannot run the original card I suppose without changing this back again. Switching cards would mean changing the u-boot variables each time? Not very practical.

However, I do not understand why the bootvariables should be different since it both cases the plug boots from sdhc card first. Is it due to different partioning of the cards?
I think that the Debian Squeeze installation from NewIT should be pretty close to your stage1 image, is that correct?

I have one question about the swap: isn't it a problem having a swap file on a flash card given the wear out problems?

regards, stroom

truehl
2010-01-18, 01:29
Changing this would mean that I cannot run the original card I suppose without changing this back again. Switching cards would mean changing the u-boot variables each time? Not very practical. Yes, but normally, if you have a running system you won't change it anymore. Setting the variables is not a big thing for testing!

However, I do not understand why the bootvariables should be different since it both cases the plug boots from sdhc card first. Is it due to different partioning of the cards? Yes again! maybe it's possible to set it up so you don't need changes. I don't know the exact layout of the NewIT card, but I think that it should work!

I think that the Debian Squeeze installation from NewIT should be pretty close to your stage1 image, is that correct? Yup, I think so! So If you have your card running, you can easyly use my guide to set up SBS and all the other things I've discriebed.

I have one question about the swap: isn't it a problem having a swap file on a flash card given the wear out problems? I've no problem, it works great and very performand!

Greetings, Thomas

Croc
2010-01-18, 04:18
Stroom

My setup was as delivered out of the box from newIT. Multi-boot with Ubuntu on the SD card. I just backed this up then wrote Truehl's image3 file to the card, and it booted OK. Interestingly, when I increased the partition size of the card back to 4GB or just under, it wouldn't boot properly, so I've left it as a 2GB card.

Mind you, I'm now having problems getting my router to see the Sheeva, so fun and games still!

Cheers

Greg

Croc
2010-01-18, 10:35
Hi folks

I hate to keep asking for advice, but I still have problems. Using Thomas' image file the installation seems to have gone well onto my SD card, and everything appears as per the instructions with the exception of connectivity. If I try ifconfig, I get only the local loopback details and nothing about eth0. -

sheeva01:~# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:660 (660.0 B) TX bytes:660 (660.0 B)
sheeva01:~#

This is the same whether I change to either a fixed IP address or use the DHCP alocation. I just doesn't recognise that it's connected to my Belkin router. I've tried different cables and different ports on the router but to no avail. Where have I gone wrong?

Anybody?

Cheers

Greg

truehl
2010-01-18, 12:46
Greg: Did you check your /etc/network/interfaces?

Does it look like this?

Delete the "#" either at line 12 if you are using DHCP or at lines 15 - 20.

01 # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
02 # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
04 # The loopback network interface
05 auto lo
06 iface lo inet loopback
08 # The primary network interface
09 allow-hotplug eth0
11 # for DHCP use:
12 # iface eth0 inet dhcp
14 # for static IP use something like this (depends on your network setup):
15 # iface eth0 inet static
16 # address 192.168.2.102
17 # netmask 255.255.255.0
18 # network 192.168.2.0
19 # Broadcast 192.168.2.255
20 # gateway 192.168.2.1

Hope it helps!!!

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-01-18, 14:38
+++ 2010-01-18 News: Guide proofed and updated +++

Greetings,
Thomas

stroom
2010-01-18, 14:54
Hi again,
since Croc said it worked for him with the plug in the same configuration, I had another try: copied again the image to a SDHC card and booted from this: same issue. I will download the image again,in case it arrived corrupt during the downnloading. Is it possible to have a md5 checksum of the image for very its integrity?

(meanwhile I am happy using the plug with squeezecenter)

regards, stroom

truehl
2010-01-19, 00:55
... copied again the image to a SDHC card and booted from this: same issue. It can't work, because the layout of the cards are different. Pull out any cards, boot, interrupt the bott process, type:

Marvell>> setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage'
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000'
Marvell>> run bootcmd

don't type: Marvell>> saveenv

So you are save that you won't change the variables permanently.

I will download the image again,in case it arrived corrupt during the downnloading. It won't work because of the reasons explained before.

Is it possible to have a md5 checksum of the image for very its integrity? Thats an realy good idea, I'll do this later.

Greetings, Thomas

raven22
2010-01-19, 01:32
Hi again,
Is it possible to have a md5 checksum of the image for very its integrity?

I think this is a very good idea, also from security view. By using the image you create a server with lots of potential without really knowing what it does. Of course we trust the creator, but it might be hacked along the way.

truehl
2010-01-19, 04:29
I think this is a very good idea, also from security view. By using the image you create a server with lots of potential without really knowing what it does. Of course we trust the creator, but it might be hacked along the way. Yup, I'll do it tonight!!!

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-19, 04:39
Hi all,
I want to pimp my guide a bit and add some scripting to automate the settings for the Stage 2 and Stage 3 image. I'm thinking about to make a config file (sbs.conf) where users can set all parameters for the SBS-server (network connection, file-location, ...) I think it would be the best to use a bash script to read the setting from the file and place the settings in the right files like /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/fstab ... and do some other simple stuff like creating dirctories, moving files ...

Is there someone hows able to write bash scripts?

Thanks a lot,
Greetings Thomas

Zoltan
2010-01-19, 11:28
Hi truehl. Thank you for this guide. It looks excellent. I wish I had paid more attention to it the other day when I started installing Debian on my new plug.

I have only skimmed your guide and may have missed an explanation, but I looked at the detailed Debian installation steps at the end and noticed that you did the partitioning manually and created a number of partitions. When I did it, I just opted for the installer-recommended default where the installer just creates a single partition and does it all automatically.

There would be no problem in me doing a reinstall as I haven't gone much beyond simply installing Debian yet so I'm wondering if I need to go back and follow the steps you did. Presumably you had reasons for doing what you did?

Thanks!

truehl
2010-01-19, 12:58
... and noticed that you did the partitioning manually and created a number of partitions. When I did it, I just opted for the installer-recommended default where the installer just creates a single partition and does it all automatically. You don't have a problem to create the partitions automaticly. I've done this before without problems. Don't change it if it works. At the end I did it manually because I've seen some cards where it don't work. The hints for the manual partitioning also comes from Martin Michlmayr's manual installation. Are you sure, that the automatic partitioning only creates one partition? I thouht it must be minimum 2? One root and one swap?!

Greetings, Thomas

Croc
2010-01-19, 13:24
G'day folks

Further to my earlier post re eth0 not appearing after the ifconfig command, I have made various tests again (from the www.debian-administration.org site) and it would appear that my Sheeva does not know that it has an ethernet connection! If I try to start eth0 with the ifup command, I get

sheeva01:~# ifup eth0
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0.

So now what do I do? Have I got a faulty Sheeva? Can I force the configuration of the eth0? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Greg

truehl
2010-01-19, 14:16
Greg:
do you have still your preinstalled system on the NAND? Did you test the eth interface with that? Were did you bought your plug?

Greetings Thomas

stroom
2010-01-19, 14:36
Hi Thomas, I did now change the boot settings according to your comment in this thread and now the stage3 image boots without problems.

However, I get exactly the same issue with ethernet as Croc, with same error messages when executing ifup eth0.
The ethernet works fine with the original image from NewIT on the SDHC card or booting without card from the flash (ubuntu).
So I do not know what's wrong but I think that there is hope for Croc that his plug has functional ethernet. He should try to boot without SDHC card to see if the ethernet is working.

Cheers,stroom

truehl
2010-01-19, 14:49
uuuuuuuuuuuuuupps,
that sounds strange!!! So it must be something with the image. I've no chance to check the image with an other plug because I only own one! I've checked the config files for eth1 and found nothing like hard coding the mac-address?!?!!!

I'll search for a solution!

What's with other people installing an image? Does eth1 work????

Greetings
Thomas

Zoltan
2010-01-19, 15:04
Are you sure, that the automatic partitioning only creates one partition? I thouht it must be minimum 2? One root and one swap?!

Greetings, Thomas

Hi Thomas (sorry not truehl as I called you before!)

Yes I think you are right. Anyway I did whatever the default is. It seems to work. I have booted into the install, managed to ssh in etc., but not done much more yet. I think your guide will be very useful. When I first looked at it briefly the other day I assumed that it was all based on using your pre-prepared images whereas I had decided that I would like to know how to do it from scratch. I missed that you covered that case too. It would have saved me some moments of uncertainty and quite a lot of Googling!

Regards,

Zoltan

truehl
2010-01-19, 15:27
Hi Stroom and Greg:
Could you try the following: replace "eth0" with "eth1" in /etc/network/interfaces???

Please tell me the result,
Thanks,

Thomas

truehl
2010-01-19, 16:03
Hi all,
I think I've found the problem: The MAC-Address of my system is hard-coded in the file: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

If I'm right you must have a record for eth0 and eth1. eth1 must be the new device, your ethernetcard in your plug. So simply change eth0 and eth1 in the file. In the example you can only see my eth0, in yours you will hopefully find eth1. So if you change eth0 to eth1 it will work (I hope so). Alternativly you can change eth0 in eth1 in your /etc/network/interfaces. Please tell me the result!!!

Thanks,
Thomas

sheeva01:/# nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

# This file was automatically generated by the /lib/udev/write_net_rules
# program, run by the persistent-net-generator.rules rules file.
#
# You can modify it, as long as you keep each rule on a single
# line, and change only the value of the NAME= key.

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:50:43:01:69:9b", AT$

truehl
2010-01-20, 04:40
Hi all,
yesterday two of you reported, that eth0 (the network connection) does not work if you use one of my images. That's true, because of a mistake I made. The network interfaces in debian are MAC-Address hard coded. There is a very simple work-around to fix the problem:

At serial connection type:
- sheva01:~# nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
- Write a "#" in front of the line where eth0 and a MAC-Addess ist listed
- Boot again and you will find your MAC instead of mine. Everything should work know.

Because I've no possibility at time to test it please try, I'll test it later an will report the result here.

Sorry for that!!!

Please report your success here in the forum!!!

I'll fix the images later!!!

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-20, 09:27
Hi,
now I've tested the workarround. It work's perfectly!
Login with a serial connection and write "#" in front of all lines!

sheeva01:~# nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Reboot and it works. Images are changed later!

Greetings, Thomas

stroom
2010-01-20, 11:32
Hi Thomas,
I tried it and I confirm that ethernet works now.
Thanks a lot for your help,
stroom

Croc
2010-01-20, 11:45
Thomas

You're a star! I followed your instructions and lo and behold, everything works. Squeezebox server is scanning my Iomega usb drive as I type this. Many thanks mate, I really couldn't have sorted all this stuff out by myself. I'll be following this site avidly in the future.

Cheers

Greg

Anthonyinnyc
2010-01-20, 12:00
I just ordered my plug
about to order sd card and new usb drive.

2 questions...
I seem to be finding cards much bigger than 2gigs is that ok.

Also any recommendations on a USB drive to pair with the plug? I've heard the WD are a good mate.

truehl
2010-01-20, 13:43
I seem to be finding cards much bigger than 2gigs is that ok. Yes it's ok, but I think you don't need more the 2GB. It depends on the size of you music library I've 14.000 songs and a lot of free space on a 2 GB card. Buying a fast class 6 card will be a good choise. I prefer SAN-Disc Extreme III Cards 30 MBit edition.

Also any recommendations on a USB drive to pair with the plug? I've heard the WD are a good mate. I think it absolutly dont matter! Any drive would work. The speed does'nt matter at all, because that's no limitation for plying music. Maybe you want to choose a silent one, depends on you personal environment.

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-01-21, 00:49
+++ Brand new images are available solving some bugs with older versions and based on squeezeboxserver_7.4.2~29855_all.deb +++

You can find the images here:

Stage1: Base-Image with debian squeeze and nothing else
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/e9cecd211e.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/20853/Stage120100120.exe.html)
MD5 Hash a46db1763a254990e2f31a7f395e3675
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to setup you own customized server without using the preinstalled SBS server.

Stage2: SBS-Light-Image with debian squeeze and only SBS server
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/61f4eaf57e.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/20859/Stage220100120.exe.html)
MD5 Hash eb359401232a7a6f18017290b53e06d4
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to use a preinstalled SBS server and donít want to use webmin, samba and all the other stuff.

Stage3: SBS-FullBlown-Image with debian squeeze, SBS, and webmin
http://uploadhyper.com/signature/9f1e21d463.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/20860/Stage320100120.exe.html)
MD5 Hash 97b2e581f248721ac228cfe8897b04d0
When should you use this? Use this image if you want to use a preinstalled SBS server with all the thinks I like and described here in the guide.

MD5-Hashes are from the unpacked Images! You can check hashes with md5sum.exe or any other tool.

Greetings, Thomas

bluegaspode
2010-01-21, 09:45
Truehl - as so many people now have success with your instructions ... could I ask again to update the wiki ?

truehl
2010-01-21, 12:07
as so many people now have success with your instructions ... could I ask again to update the wiki ?

Bluegaspode: As you sure may imagine, it's a hard work to write a guide like this, even if you think about creating, updating, bugfixing the images, answering to the posts in the forum, searching for solutions and so on. I'm happy that I've come so far by now. Yet I've not the time to "update" the wiki. By the way there is no wiki to update, I've to write a new one. And you have to know, that I haven't wrote a wiki before and have my normal job to do. I think the right time to do this extra work is when I finshed the important work on the guide and on the images! Right now it's more important to bugfix all and get your feedback about what's not working and what's missing.

But if you like to support this forum maybe you can help me with writing a wiki, or in proofing the guide or testing the images! What do you think about that?!

Greetings Thomas

bluegaspode
2010-01-21, 15:21
Bluegaspode: As you sure may imagine, it's a hard work to write a guide like this, even if you think about creating, updating, bugfixing the images, answering to the posts in the forum, searching for solutions and so on.
Sorry, no offense meant.
I just wondered if people are still going the harder way, because they cannot find your good work (googling 'sheevaplug squeezebox' finds the wiki first) !

I just updated the wiki to at least link to this thread (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Installation_guide).
I think this is the right compromise - you can go on writing your easiest way and people will still find it.

mattybain
2010-01-22, 04:10
When I try to boot from my SD (following the run bootcmd step) it crashes out with the following message

Marvell>> run bootcmd
SD found. Card desciption is:
Manufacturer: 0x27, OEM "PH"
Product name: "SD02G", revision 2.0
Serial number: 1829290319
Manufacturing date: 4/2007
CRC: 0x00, b0 = 0
Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...
** Bad ext2 partition or disk - mmc 0:1 **
## Booting image at 00400000 ...
Bad Magic Number

Anyone any ideas?

truehl
2010-01-22, 04:34
When I try to boot from my SD (following the run bootcmd step) it crashes out with the following message

Marvell>> run bootcmd
SD found. Card desciption is:
Product name: "SD02G", revision 2.0
Serial number: 1829290319
Manufacturing date: 4/2007
Bad Magic Number

Anyone any ideas?

mattybain: Are you sure, you've setup all environment variables?
01 Marvell>> setenv mainlineLinux yes
02 Marvell>> setenv arcNumber 2097
03 Marvell>> setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
04 Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000'
05 Marvell>> saveenv
06 Marvell>> run bootcmd

Be careful with line 04: Is's one line!!!

Which image to you use???

Greetings Thomas

mattybain
2010-01-22, 04:48
mattybain: Are you sure, you've setup all environment variables?
01 Marvell>> setenv mainlineLinux yes
02 Marvell>> setenv arcNumber 2097
03 Marvell>> setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
04 Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000'
05 Marvell>> saveenv
06 Marvell>> run bootcmd

Be careful with line 04: Is's one line!!!

Which imgage to you use???

Greetings Thomas

Yes I realised that! is there anyway of checking what the current settings are?

I was trying the 2nd image, currently trying the 3rd one. I will tell you what happens.

Is this line not required then "setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage'" ?

truehl
2010-01-22, 05:02
mattybain:
I think I've made a mistake in the quick installation guide, could you please try this and inform me???

Marvell>> setenv mainlineLinux yes
Marvell>> setenv arcNumber 2097
Marvell>> setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage'
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000'
Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> run bootcmd

mattybain
2010-01-22, 05:49
mattybain:
I think I've made a mistake in the quick installation guide, could you please try this and inform me???

Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> run bootcmd

No that is exactly what I did first off. It comes up with the same error message.

mattybain
2010-01-22, 05:51
No that is exactly what I did first off. It come up with the same message.

Is there something wrong with the way I copied the image.

My SD card was formatted to Fat32, I used the USB image tool to copy the tool. I am assuming it then changes the formatting of the SD card as windows can no longer see it.

Was that all I was supposed to do?

truehl
2010-01-22, 05:54
No that is exactly what I did first off. It comes up with the same error message.

mattybain:
please try this:

Marvell>> setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit;mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage'

mattybain
2010-01-22, 06:01
mattybain:
please try this:

Marvell>> setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit;mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage'

I actually just tried sticking in an extra mmcinit as suggested somewhere else.

Doesn't matter I have never had much love with the Sheevaplug and I think this latest issue has made me realise that we are not compatible. I think ebay is calling!

truehl
2010-01-22, 06:28
I think their is a bug in the quick Steps Guide. Please use this: I'll update the guide soon!!!

3. Before you change a variable be sure that you’ve saved the original value. You can do it the command “printenv”. Without arguments, you get all values. If you want to see only one value type f.e.: “printenv arcNumber”.

Change some u-boot environment settings:
Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> run bootcmd

Some people reported that their mmc-card is not always detected by the sheevaplug. There is a workaround to solve this problem: Do the “mmcinit” command twice and it will work. It looks like this:

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-22, 07:04
Hi,
I've got a lot of good feedback for the Guide and the Images and I did a lot of testing both. But some things depends on different plugs and can't be tested only on my plug. So I'm searching for people to test both, the guide and the images. Please support me in testing as I support You. When all bugs are fixed, I'll put all the thinks in the wiki as suggested!

So please support me!!!

Thanks al lot,
Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-01-22, 07:30
Is there something wrong with the way I copied the image.

My SD card was formatted to Fat32, I used the USB image tool to copy the tool. I am assuming it then changes the formatting of the SD card as windows can no longer see it.

Was that all I was supposed to do?

Yes, normally that's all you need to do!

Is it possible, that your sd-card reader or the plug or your sd-card has a problem? Where did you buy the plug? Is there no warrenty on the plug? I think the plug is great and there is no reason to sell it in ebay. I suggest to test an other sd-card, maybe you try the installation by using the step by step guide. If that also don't work try an other sd-card. If that fails send your plug back to get a working one!

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-01-23, 03:49
Today Iíve tested some important things I want to inform you about:

1. Download of the actual Stage 3 image tested unpacking, ok.
2. Copied downloaded image to a sd-card with different size (4GB), ok.
3.Tested the quick installation guide, works. With my card Iíve to do the mmcinit command twice as described in the guide:
Marvell>> saveenv
4. Stared SBS from the downloaded image, works.
5. Expand the system partition with gparted under a Ubuntu live CD to the maximum of space, success.
6. Started with this sd-card, works, disc space is increased to the full space. At starting of debian the system make an automatic scan and repair of the changed partition.

The complete installation guide was tested before and seems to work.

Please keep in mind to use only the actual guide and the actual images. Please report any bugs you find. I would be happy if you inform the forum also from every successful use of the guid or the images.

Greetings, Thomas

bluegaspode
2010-01-23, 05:57
out of curiosity: sounds strange that mmcinit is needed twice ... could it be that just a small delay after the first mmcinit is needed ?

Is
mmcinit; sleep 2;

working as well ?

http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCmdGroupMisc#Section_5.9.10.3.

stroom
2010-01-23, 14:49
Hi,
I've got a lot of good feedback for the Guide and the Images and I did a lot of testing both. But some things depends on different plugs and can't be tested only on my plug. So I'm searching for people to test both, the guide and the images. Please support me in testing as I support You. When all bugs are fixed, I'll put all the thinks in the wiki as suggested!

So please support me!!!

Thanks al lot,
Greetings Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I tested your updated image of stage3 (Stage3_20100120.img).
I restored the image to the SDHC card in linux this time with the following command:
sudo dd if=Stage3_20100120.img of=/dev/sdb ,where /dev/sdb was how the card was listed with fdisk -l.
Using the dd command can also be used to replicate the card by inversing the order (e.g.: sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=newimage.img).

I would add a comment in your guide that your .exe file is a self extracting archive which should result in the .img file that needs to be restored to the SDHC card (which works on windows not on linux).
I used then gparted to increase the partition to fill up my 4GB card and then I booted from the card.

First I had to set the boot settings right with:
Marvell>> run bootcmd

Since this was only a test I did not save the settings with saveenv.
The image works fine now on my system, it boots without problems and the ethernet connection works as well.

Cheers stroom.

truehl
2010-01-23, 15:39
I would add a comment in your guide that your .exe file is a self extracting archive which should result in the .img file that needs to be restored to the SDHC card (which works on windows not on linux).
I used then gparted to increase the partition to fill up my 4GB card and then I booted from the card.
Stroom: Thanks a lot for your feedback. I'll update the guide later. Good to know, that prepering the card even works in linux!!!

Greeting, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-24, 11:56
Please notice:

The images or the guide won't work on sheevaplugs with older versions of u-boot- Please check your version of u-boot and update it if nessessary on your on risk!

Martin Michlmayr write here:
If you're running a version of u-boot older than 3.4.19 you have to upgrade u-boot before proceeding with this installation! Version 3.4.19 adds SD support and improves USB support (although it's still quite flaky, as mentioned above) and version 3.4.23 fixes a minor problem with 3.4.19.

Use this site:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/install.html

an this:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html

I'll update the guide later!!!

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-01-27, 14:10
Hi,
I've finished the wiki. Please take a look:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies

Thanks for your feeback,
Greetings Thomas

kesey
2010-01-27, 15:59
Hi,
I've finished the wiki. Please take a look:

Thanks for your feeback,
Greetings Thomas
The wiki looks really well Thomas. Thanks for all your hard-work in putting your guide. images and wiki together. It makes it much easier to get to grips with the Sheeva which is a wonderful piece of equipment.

regards,

kesey

Aidem
2010-01-27, 17:14
I add my congratulations Thomas. You have laid out the instructions in a clear systematic way. Others will benefit from your painstaking research.

I am convinced the SheevaPlug is, at present, the most effective way to house SqueezeServer and deliver music streams to Squeezebox devices. You have done this forum a great service.

Regards

Aidem

raven22
2010-01-28, 03:16
Very well done.
One remark, in the guide you write:

Important: Following the guide you have to change some environment variables of your sheevaplugs u-boot configuration. Changing of this may lead in damaging the sheevaplug so that it wonít boot anymore.

I think this will scare people off and that is not needed because you can't really damage your plug this way. Truth, it might not boot anymore, but with help of the sheevainstaller, the settings will be restored and the plug comes back to life.

Ashrob
2010-01-29, 07:46
Hi,

since my Sheeva has arrived also I can add some comments to the guide.

First, I didn't install everything according to the guide.
Once you have debian running its quite easy to get SBS installed as described in the guide.

The thing I didn't install was Webmin. I guess its a little bit overkill if you just use the box as SBS.
Timezone can be configured on the command line quite easily:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

and I didn't install samba, I just use rsync over SSH to sync. the music to the USB HD attached to the sheeva.

Therefore I use a small script (modified the one found here: http://www.crazyhawt.com/2009/12/21/guide-keeping-your-music-servers-music-in-sync-with-your-main-macpc/)

Just install rsync on the sheeva:

apt-get install rsync

and then create that script on your Mac or linux box:

#!/bin/bash
#This script will sync music over SSH from your Mac / PC to your
#linux server! (e.g. the sheevaplug)
USER=michael
SERVER=sheeva
MAC_MUSIC=/Users/michael/Music/sheeva/
SHEEVA=/media/music/
chmod -R 755 $MAC_MUSIC

You might want to do the initial copy of large amounts of music with some other means as copying to the sheeva through SSH is not very fast. (about 5 MB/s). I didn't do that, so the copy process is currently ongoing.
Using rsync, I can tag and organize the music on my main computer and then just execute the script and it syncs all music.

Thats it currently. I guess some more experiences will follow later.

BR,
Michael

Hi there,

Firstly, many thanks to you Thomas for your excellent guide, it has really helped me get this thing working the way I want it to.

I am hoping to run this script on my plug but I have a few questions first that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

When it says USER=michael, where is the USER from? My plug? In which case I have the user 'root' and 'sheeva01'. Is it one of those?

Next, SERVER=sheeva. How do I find the server name of my Sheevaplug? I can use its IP but if I do that, how do I put that in this line -

Do I just change the 'SERVER' attribute to the IP?

On MAC_MUSIC, the path to my music on my PC is G:/Music, is that all that needs to go in there?

Lastly ...

After syncing music you should issue a rescan
Code:
# issue a rescan
(echo "rescan")|nc -w1 localhost 9090
my sync-script is started on the sheeva, so 'localhost' is used.
Insert your ShevaPlug-Network name there.

Do I just add this line to the end of the script? And as the script will be started on the plug, do I leave 'localhost' as it is? Also, is that port the standard port?

I realise there are loads of questions here but hopefully they will help more people than just me.

Thanks for any help.

truehl
2010-01-29, 12:59
I think this will scare people off and that is not needed because you can't really damage your plug this way. Truth, it might not boot anymore, but with help of the sheevainstaller, the settings will be restored and the plug comes back to life.
raven22: please take a look, I've changed the wiki!

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-01-29, 13:02
could it be that just a small delay after the first mmcinit is needed ?
bluegaspade: I don't know, without it works for me. Where did you get it from?

Greetings.
Thomas

truehl
2010-01-29, 13:06

stroom: I've changed the wiki, please take a look,

Greetings,
Thomas

raven22
2010-01-29, 13:08
raven22: please take a look, I've changed the wiki!

Greetings,
Thomas

looks good

bluegaspode
2010-01-29, 13:44
bluegaspade: I don't know, without it works for me. Where did you get it from?

Greetings.
Thomas

Just thought it was strange to issue mccinit twice.
So for me it sounds more like a timing issue (the 2nd mccinit being enough delay to have the SD-card working)

But just a wild guess.

truehl
2010-01-30, 02:02
So for me it sounds more like a timing issue (the 2nd mccinit being enough delay to have the SD-card working)

But just a wild guess.

It's a good idear I'll keep in mind if someone reports doing mmcinit twice will not reach!

raven22
2010-01-30, 05:09

But just a wild guess.

I think it is needed for some cards, I don't use it and it works fine with my cards

kunze
2010-01-30, 09:27
When it says USER=michael, where is the USER from? My plug? In which case I have the user 'root' and 'sheeva01'. Is it one of those?

in my case its the same user for my mac an the sheeva. In your case I guess it should be the username you need to give when you want to remotely logon to your PC via ssh (if the script runs on the sheeva).

Next, SERVER=sheeva. How do I find the server name of my Sheevaplug? I can use its IP but if I do that, how do I put that in this line -

Do I just change the 'SERVER' attribute to the IP?

On MAC_MUSIC, the path to my music on my PC is G:/Music, is that all that needs to go in there?

If you run the script on the sheeva you need to switch destination and source. so you need to give $USER@$SERVER:$SHEEVA $MAC_MUSIC as parameter.
SERVER then needs to contain the hostname of the PC (or the IP).
SHEEVA needs to contain the path to the music on your PC
MAC_MUSIC needs to contain the path to the music on your sheeva.

Please don't test this with your complete music collection.
if something is wrong everything might be deleted!

Do I just add this line to the end of the script? And as the script will be started on the plug, do I leave 'localhost' as it is? Also, is that port the standard port?

Thats fine to leave localhost if the script is running on the sheeva.

truehl
2010-01-31, 13:36
+++ 2010-01-31 Wiki updated, some important changes are made, please note!!! +++

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-04, 12:00
Hi,
Thanks for a great Tutorial, I think even a beginner like me dares a try..

Some basic questions:
- I assume it's the "bare bone" version I should order? http://www.newit.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

- From the "prerequisites list" I only have to order the SD card, the rest is included in the package or downloadable??

- Is there any guide how to update to coming versions of SBS?

Performance question: I will have 1 TB /40.000 songs (FLAC + some MP3)on 2x 1.5 TB USB disks and Logitech Duet connected to it. Will Sheevaplug handle it ok?

Especially these cases are interesting:
- Browsing all "All albums" in the Duet controller (including album art)
- Scanning of whole library, how long time?
- Starting a new song should not cause interuptions aftr a few secs etc.
- Other cases that would have a problem with these many songs?
- Web interface ok preformance (not so important, I'll use the controller mainly..)

Or what size of music library are you running, what is the performance?

Thanks again, I think I'm very close to order this :)

Best regards,
Jakob Magnusson

truehl
2010-02-04, 12:56
I assume it's the "bare bone" version I should order? http://www.newit.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1 Yes, this version is right I think.

From the "prerequisites list" I only have to order the SD card, the rest is included in the package or downloadable?? You can buy any 2GB SDHC-card, the faster the quicker Class 6 is fine! You don't need more. Download the Stage3 Image and the USB Image Tool: http://www.alexpage.de

Is there any guide how to update to coming versions of SBS? Updating is very easy, just type: dpkg -i squeezeboxserver_7.4.2~29813_all.deb (change to the package you want to install) Then the systems updates and the database will be migrated!

Performance question: I will have 1 TB /40.000 songs (FLAC + some MP3)on 2x 1.5 TB USB disks and Logitech Duet connected to it. Will Sheevaplug handle it ok? Yes you will have no problem at all.

- Browsing all "All albums" in the Duet controller (including album art) fast

- Scanning of whole library, how long time? I have 15.000 without any problem. Inital scanning take about 1:30 h. Daily scanning takes about 10 Minutes.

- Starting a new song should not cause interuptions aftr a few secs etc. no

- Other cases that would have a problem with these many songs? no

- Web interface ok preformance (not so important, I'll use the controller mainly..) yes

Buy it, its great!!!

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-04, 13:52
Thanks, I'll probably order one soon..

One additional question: Building a low power system I'd liek to minimize power consumption frmo harddisks. My plan was two separate USB disks with their own power etc. But, it would require a USB-hub, with separate power(?) Or should I go for a 2HD cabinet solution with one USB connection to the Sheevaplug? Or?

Will HD spin down with Sheeva + SBS?

(How many watt is a USD HD?)

Best regards,
Jakob

truehl
2010-02-04, 14:22
Jakob: Did you thought about a NAS-Solution???

bluegaspode
2010-02-04, 14:44
Depends on the drive.
Western Digital MyBook Essential will spin down.

stroom
2010-02-04, 14:47
Thanks, I'll probably order one soon..

One additional question: Building a low power system I'd liek to minimize power consumption frmo harddisks. My plan was two separate USB disks with their own power etc. But, it would require a USB-hub, with separate power(?) Or should I go for a 2HD cabinet solution with one USB connection to the Sheevaplug? Or?

(How many watt is a USD HD?)

Best regards,
Jakob

USB HD 2.5 inch will consume the least power and the plug provides enough power itself for one 2.5 inch drive. But you are limited to 500-750GB at the moment I think. If you need 2 drives you need a hub with its own powerplug. My HD is about 2W.
A NAS needs more power, this was for me the reason to go for the sheevaplug. I used a Synology NAS before but even in standby it uses more power than the Sheevaplug with 2.5 inch HD. I read that HD will spin down with the Sheevaplug if the HD has this feature enabled.

Gluurbuur
2010-02-05, 07:05
Hello all!

This is my first post on this excellent forum, so here I go...

I've succeeded almost all the steps of the Sheevaplug SBS Server for dummies, but now i'm stuck trying to make a NFS connection with my NAS (CH3SNAS).
When mounting (sheeva01:~# mount -a) it says that rpc.statd is not running.

I'm not sure if NFS is running on my nas (with funplug), but i think so. I've tried anything but still I can't manage to make the connection.

Please, can someone help me out on this?

truehl
2010-02-05, 13:01
I've succeeded almost all the steps of the Sheevaplug SBS Server for dummies, but now i'm stuck trying to make a NFS connection with my NAS (CH3SNAS). When mounting (sheeva01:~# mount -a) it says that rpc.statd is not running. I'm not sure if NFS is running on my nas (with funplug), but i think so. I've tried anything but still I can't manage to make the connection.

Some questions
1. Witch image do You use?
2. Do you have a NFS connection to Your NAS with an other system.
3. How does Your /etc/fstab file look?

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-02-05, 15:04
Hi,
good news: I've changed the part "Samba Connection" in the wiki. Now you can configure Your SheevaPlug to make a Samba Connection very easy!

Greetings, Thomas

Gluurbuur
2010-02-05, 15:25
Some questions
1. Witch image do You use?
2. Do you have a NFS connection to Your NAS with an other system.
3. How does Your /etc/fstab file look?

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've used image 3, my NAS is NFS connected to the mediaplayer and I don't know how my /etc/fstab file looks, because I'm not at home right now.

Maybe the first two answers will give you enough information.

Gr. Marchel

truehl
2010-02-06, 01:00
I've used image 3, my NAS is NFS connected to the mediaplayer and I don't know how my /etc/fstab file looks, because I'm not at home right now. Maybe the first two answers will give you enough information. Gr. Marchel

Sorry Marchel,
no, this information is not enough! Please post your fstab file: nano /etc/fstab . Normally you have to give the SheevaPlug IP the right to access your NAS on the NAS. Are you sure You set up you NAS properly? Normally Your NAS should speek Samba as well. Please take a look in the updated wiki and try a Samba connection! I've tested both with my NAS (Thecus N4100pro) an it works fine!

Greetings Thomas

Gluurbuur
2010-02-06, 04:24
Sorry Marchel,
no, this information is not enough! Please post your fstab file: nano /etc/fstab . Normally you have to give the SheevaPlug IP the right to access your NAS on the NAS. Are you sure You set up you NAS properly? Normally Your NAS should speek Samba as well. Please take a look in the updated wiki and try a Samba connection! I've tested both with my NAS (Thecus N4100pro) an it works fine!

Greetings Thomas

Hi Thomas!
As requested:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# / was on /dev/mmcblk0p3 during installation
# UUID=e9b9465a-eb06-4f8a-a6b3-6373f2707336 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /boot was on /dev/mmcblk0p1 during installation
# UUID=966720d4-dac2-4093-9199-d2b831fff9fd /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
# swap was on /dev/mmcblk0p2 during installation
# UUID=da072f83-faeb-490c-a758-1ad44fd8087a none swap sw 0 0

# if you use a NFS-Share for you music, use something like this:
192.168.178.23:/HD_a2/media/muziek /mnt/nfs/music nfs defaults 0 0
# if you want to mount a usbdrive use something like this:
# /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/music vfat rw,user,auto 0 0

Hopefully this will help...

I just tried your Samba Connection, but it won't install with apt-get --yes install smbfs:

Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main libwbclient0 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main samba-common 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main samba-common-bin 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main smbfs 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/libwbclient0_3.4.3-2_armel.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/samba-common_3.4.3-2_all.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/samba-common-bin_3.4.3-2_armel.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/smbfs_3.4.3-2_armel.deb 404 Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Gr. Marchel

truehl
2010-02-06, 04:53
Hi Marchel,
the fstab looks good. Are your sure Your NAS is setup the right way?

Now to the samba installation: Are you sure, that Your Plug has a internet connection? It looks like it's not able to download things from the internet! Please check an "apt-get --yes install" and then "apt-get --yes upgrade". The try to install smbfs once more. Please tell me the result.

Greetings Thomas

Gluurbuur
2010-02-06, 05:22
Hi Thomas,

Did what you asked and here are the results:

sheeva01:~# apt-get --yes install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
x11-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
sheeva01:~# apt-get --yes upgrade
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
sheeva01:~# apt-get --yes install smbfs
Building dependency tree
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
x11-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libtalloc2 libwbclient0 samba-common samba-common-bin
Suggested packages:
smbclient
The following NEW packages will be installed
libtalloc2 libwbclient0 samba-common samba-common-bin smbfs
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 6,769kB/6,787kB of archives.
After this operation, 18.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main libwbclient0 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main samba-common 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main samba-common-bin 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org squeeze/main smbfs 2:3.4.3-2
404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/libwbclient0_3 .4.3-2_armel.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/samba-common_3 .4.3-2_all.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/samba-common-b in_3.4.3-2_armel.deb 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/samba/smbfs_3.4.3-2_ armel.deb 404 Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-mis sing?

About NFS, I've checked it out and it seems that my NAS is running UNFSD, maybe that is why it won't connect.

I appreciate your effort trying to help me! Many thanks in advance!

Gr. Marchel

truehl
2010-02-06, 05:39
Hi Marchel,
please check "apt-get update --fix-missing" an tell me the result.

Greeting Thomas

Gluurbuur
2010-02-06, 05:47
That worked!

Fetched 12.5MB in 26s (467kB/s)

So I suppose I can try to install Samba now?

truehl
2010-02-06, 05:54
I think it must be installed allready, but install smbfs once more and see what's reported.

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-02-06, 08:17
Hi Marchel,
I'm testing it by myself! I don't know why but dowloading the smbfs packages takes a long long time. I think there must be a problem with the download ressources at time. Do You have the same problem?

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-02-06, 08:49
Hi Marchel,
o.k. I'm just finished and it works. What is Your result?

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-02-07, 01:26
Hi Marchel,
are You still alive?

Greetings Thomas

Gluurbuur
2010-02-07, 05:31
Hi Marchel,
are You still alive?

Greetings Thomas

Hi Thomas!

Lol, sure I am! And I have good news: SBS is running on my Sheeva!!
NFS didn't work. With Samba it was not that hard after all. The only thing I did wrong was using the mountpoint(HD_a2/media/muziek) instead of the sharename(muziek) for the music directory. The etc/stab now looks like this:

//192.168.178.23/muziek/ /mnt/samba/music smbfs username=xxxx,password=xxxx

It took me a while to figure that out but everything is fine now! SBS is running like never before (my EEE-pc thanks me very much ;) ), the sheeva has no problems at all with my 60,000 musicfiles on my NAS connected by Samba!

Once again I really want to thank you very, very much for your support and your great tutorial!

Maybe I can give you one hint for making this how-to even more fool-proof: I think it's a good idea to advise all the linux-newbies (like me) to read about nano, before using it.

Greetings,
Marchel

truehl
2010-02-07, 07:10
Hi Marchel,
good to hear!!! I am happy that all works. Please tell me about your further experiences!

Greetings Thomas

I'll drive to Holland next week!!!

truehl
2010-02-07, 07:33
Hi all,
some of You asked me to make the wiki a little more for dummies, so that setting up the SheevaPlug becomes as easy as possible. For that reason I have made a script that configures the network-settings and the settings for the music library. This script in addition to a new image makes setting up the SheevaPlag very simple.

Please notice that you can use this script only with the new image you can download here:

http://uploadhyper.com/signature/d2f014fe8f.png (http://uploadhyper.com/file/24463/Stage320100206.exe.html)
Hash of the self extracting archiv: 74f7b59d29d3c1937b2c338df76dab82
Hash of the image file:0b72ecb93a73aa5898a79a0522ef4aae

My plan is to stop updating the Stage 1 and the Stage 2 image, because it's easier to maintain only one imgage. There was not a big response to the Stage 1 image at all. The difference between Stage 2 and 3 is Webmin. If you don't like to use Webmin you can easlily delete it, so that's no reason for having an extra image.

The wiki is also updated, start here:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies#Beta_Versions

Please try an tell me what you think.

Greetings, Thomas

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-08, 09:35
As there is currently a embedded branch in the nightly builds section, I wondered if this version would run better on the Sheevaplug. What are the performance advantages introduced with this version? Are there any downsides or is this version worth a try on the Sheeva?

raven22
2010-02-08, 10:02
As there is currently a embedded branch in the nightly builds section, I wondered if this version would run better on the Sheevaplug. What are the performance advantages introduced with this version? Are there any downsides or is this version worth a try on the Sheeva?

Normal 7.5 runs perfectly on my sheeva. The embedded uses sqlite and some plugins i use are not compatible with this.

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-08, 10:50
USB HD 2.5 inch will consume the least power and the plug provides enough power itself for one 2.5 inch drive. But you are limited to 500-750GB at the moment I think. If you need 2 drives you need a hub with its own powerplug. My HD is about 2W.
A NAS needs more power, this was for me the reason to go for the sheevaplug. I used a Synology NAS before but even in standby it uses more power than the Sheevaplug with 2.5 inch HD. I read that HD will spin down with the Sheevaplug if the HD has this feature enabled.

Hi again,
Sheevaplug ordered, was dispatched this evening, guess it takes until after weekend to reach Sweden from UK.

I think I've figuresd the harddiskconfiguration: I'll go for one 1.5TB USB (Western Digital) connected by USB. I'll do backups on another 1.5 on my PC.

THe WD 1.5TB USB drive only draws 6-7 Watts during, but most interesting is that it goes down to 0W when not being used. And normally it's not used 18-20 h per day.

I'll be back when I get started, I'll try to make notes if I find anything a newbie doesn't understand in the guide:

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-08, 11:34
... I wondered if this version would run better on the Sheevaplug. What are the performance advantages introduced with this version? Hi why "run better"??? Normally I use the latest 7.4.2xxxx and this versions runs perfect and performant on the Plug. As raven22 already told the 7.5 works also very well. So for what reason you want to use the embedded version?

truehl
2010-02-08, 11:48
... I'll be back when I get started, I'll try to make notes if I find anything a newbie doesn't understand in the guide:/Jakob Hi Jakob, nice to hear!!! Please try the new Version, I've uploaded yesterday, it's much more easy!!!

bluegaspode
2010-02-08, 12:49

Many users reported that the scanner is much faster.
This is because the embedded branch will run on the Logitech Touch (which is not as fast as a Sheeva nor does have its ram).
So consider it as a heavily performance tuned version.

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-08, 14:06
Many users reported that the scanner is much faster.
This is because the embedded branch will run on the Logitech Touch (which is not as fast as a Sheeva nor does have its ram).
So consider it as a heavily performance tuned version.

That's why I asked, but as someone stated before, the use of sqlite seems to prevent the use of certain plugins.
But how can I check which plugins need MySQL?
Any other known downsides?
Perhaps the embedded version will be a alternative as soon as it leaves the early beta stages?

raven22
2010-02-08, 14:12
That's why I asked, but as someone stated before, the use of sqlite seems to prevent the use of certain plugins.
But how can I check which plugins need MySQL?

All plugins which need database input, like lazysearch and about all of erland's plugins to name a few.

fragfutter
2010-02-08, 14:27
Hi again,
Sheevaplug ordered, was dispatched this evening, guess it takes until after weekend to reach Sweden from UK.

if you ordered from newit and they had it in stock the moment you ordered... then i wouldn't plan on having an idle weekend. they are extremly fast.

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-08, 14:32
if you ordered from newit and they had it in stock the moment you ordered... then i wouldn't plan on having an idle weekend. they are extremly fast.

They dispatceh today (I ordered at noon UK time last Friday) I guess Royal Mail & Co will need a up to a week to deliver to Sweden(?)... We'll see..
/Jakob

raven22
2010-02-09, 00:47
Hi again,

I think I've figuresd the harddiskconfiguration: I'll go for one 1.5TB USB (Western Digital) connected by USB. I'll do backups on another 1.5 on my PC.

THe WD 1.5TB USB drive only draws 6-7 Watts during, but most interesting is that it goes down to 0W when not being used. And normally it's not used 18-20 h per day.

I'll be back when I get started, I'll try to make notes if I find anything a newbie doesn't understand in the guide:

/Jakob

Did you measure the powerconsumption? The 0 watt when not in use seems very low since it is still in a sort of standby mode. Does anyone know the actual consumption of the WD essential drives?

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-10, 13:38
Did you measure the powerconsumption? The 0 watt when not in use seems very low since it is still in a sort of standby mode. Does anyone know the actual consumption of the WD essential drives?
Hi,
It showed 0W & 0A on my meter, it might not be sensitive to measure fraction of a watt.. still, very low if less than 0.5 or 1 watt.

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-10, 13:41
They dispatceh today (I ordered at noon UK time last Friday) I guess Royal Mail & Co will need a up to a week to deliver to Sweden(?)... We'll see..
/Jakob

It arrived today. Not only newit is fast to dispatch, from Monday to Wednesday from UK is fast for good old mail companies (Royal mail & Swedish post)!

No time to start the installation until Saturday...

Keep you posted.

raven22
2010-02-10, 13:43
Hi,
It showed 0W & 0A on my meter, it might not be sensitive to measure fraction of a watt.. still, very low if less than 0.5 or 1 watt.

is it a WD MyBook Essential?

bluegaspode
2010-02-11, 00:40

I'll measure on the weekend.
As I can't measure the HD alone (don't know what it draws via USB) I'll measure
a) sheevaplug alone idle
b) sheevaplug with WD-HD idle
c) sheevaplug playing mp3 from HD

My meter claims to detect from 0.2W (prooved by computer magazine review).

finemind
2010-02-11, 18:28
Hi
Got my Sheevaplug today (from Newit with squeeze debian installed on 8GB SD card) and thanks to this excellent tutorial got squeezebox server running in no time so now my pc can get some sleep at night while I listen to the radio.
However, can't work out how to mount a hard disk - when I type in the command I get the message below in capitals and don't know where to go from there - how do I configure fstab? I am a radio fan not a linux connoisseur and any help would be much appreciated.

debian:~# nano /etc/fstab
GNU nano 2.1.11 File: /etc/fstab

# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

[ Read 1 line ]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell

plutoz
2010-02-11, 18:59
new image

I tried to use your new image on my just-received Sheeva Plug Dev Kit according to the instructions in the wiki but received the following message:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.

Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x0000020f).

Available machine support:

ID (hex) NAME
00000690 Marvell DB-88F6281-BP Development Board
00000691 Marvell RD-88F6192-NAS Development Board
00000692 Marvell RD-88F6281 Reference Board
00000831 Marvell SheevaPlug Reference Board
0000085b QNAP TS-119/TS-219
000009c6 QNAP TS-41x
00000915 Marvell OpenRD Base Board
00000939 Marvell OpenRD Client Board

Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.

Ever seen this before?

I tried with uboot 3.4.19 and 3.4.27 with patch from plugcomputer.org forum...

I'm using a 2GB Memorex MicroSD card in a adapter, planning to pick up a 8GB class 6 SDHC tomorrow, maybe that will work better...?

truehl
2010-02-11, 23:46
Did you try 3.4.23 ???, Where did you buy the Plug?

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-02-12, 00:00
Hi
Got my Sheevaplug today (from Newit with squeeze debian installed on 8GB SD card) and thanks to this excellent tutorial got squeezebox server running in no time so now my pc can get some sleep at night while I listen to the radio.
However, can't work out how to mount a hard disk - when I type in the command I get the message below in capitals and don't know where to go from there - how do I configure fstab? I am a radio fan not a linux connoisseur and any help would be much appreciated.

You can find the settings for the fstab in the wiki! The settings depend on your music-library. You did't use one of my images, right? Try the new image there is a script to configure all!

Be carefull with the command "saveenv". Do this only if you are ssure that everything is running.

Greeting Thomas

stroom
2010-02-12, 03:53
Hi

debian:~# nano /etc/fstab
GNU nano 2.1.11 File: /etc/fstab

# UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

This is not an error message, this is the content of the file /etc/fstab
You should add a line as described in the guide.

regards, stroom

plutoz
2010-02-12, 04:23
Did you try 3.4.23 ???, Where did you buy the Plug?

No, I didn't try 3.4.23 since the upgrade instruction page said there were problems with that version...

I bought it from GlobalScale Technologies

was looking at this:
http://www.plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Compiling_Linux_Kernel_for_the_Plug_Computer#Booti ng_the_kernel

Is it necessary to run 'saveenv' to get the SD card image to boot? I was just following your instructions to test booting before running that (run bootcmd)

OK, I ran these commands first and it works

Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> reset

Unfortunately I still can't boot, I'm guess since my 2GB card is a tad small and I had to use the 'truncate' option in USB Image Tool to get it to write. I am getting the following error

The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 401625 blocks
The physical size of the device is 394578 blocks

I ran fsck manually but can't seem to get it to fix the superblock

truehl
2010-02-12, 13:58
plutoz:
I've placed a link to version 3.4.23 in my wiki. This version runs very well on the Plug.

The "saveenv" saves the u-boot environment variables permanetly on the plug. You don't need it to boot. If you reset the plug or start it new the varibles will not been saved until you do a "saveenv".

You have to change all the things I descriebed in the wiki, not only the ones you listed! RTFM

It is possible, that your sd-card is to small. I've seen different sizes even if the are shipped as 2GB. But you may use a 4 GB or bigger if you like (with the 2 GB image.

You may setup the system from scratch as i mention in my wiki. So you could user your smaller card!

Greetings Thomas

finemind
2010-02-13, 09:23
Hi again Thomas, thanks for your quick response. I can now access music on the usb drive from my squeezebox.

Now I am trying to make a network connection from my vista computer using samba.

In the wiki, you say 'replace <192.168.2.10/samba> with your connection data' - could you tell me what my
connection data should be if the sheeva is located at 192.168.0.13 please?

I tried entering what I hoped were the correct values, but when I then tried to mount all drives, i got this error message:

mount error (111): connection refused

Regards
Matt

truehl
2010-02-13, 12:27
Now I am trying to make a network connection from my vista computer using samba.
Matt: You say "from" my vista computer?! Do you mean "from"? The wiki descriebes how to make connections from the SheevaPlug to other ressources, not to the Plug. So please tell me what exactly you want do do,

Thanks, Thomas

finemind
2010-02-13, 13:24
Thomas,
Thanks very much, I have the sheevaplug running squeezebox and have successfully installed a 500gb drive with it all thanks to your superb guide. It was a sharp learning curve but worth and now I can finally switch off my laptop and maybe give it a longet lifespan.
Regards,
Matt

kesey
2010-02-13, 17:45
Hi, yes Thomas, sorry I meant, how to transfer music files stored on my vista laptop to the usb disk mounted on the sheeva using samba. In other words, how can I see the usb disk from my laptop.
Regards,
Matt

The first thing you will have to do, if you have not already done so, is to make a mount point for your music files on Sheeva. Let's say you do this and call it:
mkdir /media

If you are using NTFS on your USB drive, you will need to install ntfs-3g on the Sheeva.

cd /media
mkdir windows
apt-get update
apt-get install ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/windows

If you are using ext3 (Debian Squeeze does not talk ext4), then you do not have to install ntfs-3g. It will just work with the details below.

The video below incl the smb.conf file or your own variant thereof will allow you to see the files on your USB hard-drive from your laptop/desktop. It will not of itself let you write to the files, as Linux security takes precedence over Samba. You can however allow this by setting check boxes in Webmin (from your laptop), if you have it installed on your Sheeva. When you have done your writing/file transfer etc, you can uncheck the boxes and so stop your music files getting changed by mistake. Then again you may choose to allow yourself full time write permission if you wish by leaving the boxes checked.

Re Webmin: in order to change file permissions, go into Others, File Manager and then select the directory in which you store your Music. In my case, this is ext3_tunes. Click on "Info" in the menu bar of Webmin, and this will allow you change file permissions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deb2jRm3c7g

That is a short and accurate tutorial.

Mu smb.conf file is as follows:

Security = share
workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = name of your sheeva server

[Myshare]
comment = myshare
path = /media
# my fstab file loads my USB drive formatted ext_3 and is the following:
# LABEL=Iomega_ext3 /media ext3 defaults 0 0
read only = no
guest ok = yes

Note: this is strictly for an internal home network, and will no doubt horrify Linux esoterics..but it is a base to start from and it works from Windows 7, Vista, XP and from Unbuntu 9.04. You can tidy up the security aspect later. And let me know how you did it!

truehl
2010-02-14, 04:12
Thomas,
Thanks very much, I have the sheevaplug running squeezebox and have successfully installed a 500gb drive with it all thanks to your superb guide. It was a sharp learning curve but worth and now I can finally switch off my laptop and maybe give it a longet lifespan.
Regards,
Matt

Matt: Thank You, I'm happy that all works for You. Could you tell me please, wether You've used an image or just the wiki?

Kesey posted a nice ;-) video. I think that a lot of You Guys want to have a connection to the SheevaPlug to update files on the library located on the a USB-drive connected to the SheevaPlug. So at time you have to try a bit to get it to work by Your self. I've not yet tested the things kesey posted, but I'll do it later. If You use the Stage3 image You can use webmin to configure samba. Next days I'll update the wiki, or would you Kesey like to do it?

Greetings, Thomas

finemind
2010-02-14, 06:02
Matt: Thank You, I'm happy that all works for You. Could you tell me please, wether You've used an image or just the wiki?

Kesey posted a nice ;-) video. I think that a lot of You Guys want to have a connection to the SheevaPlug to update files on the library located on the a USB-drive connected to the SheevaPlug. So at time you have to try a bit to get it to work by Your self. I've not yet tested the things kesey posted, but I'll do it later. If You use the Stage3 image You can use webmin to configure samba. Next days I'll update the wiki, or would you Kesey like to do it?

Greetings, Thomas

I used Image 3 and then used webmin to install Samba.

Regards
Matt

truehl
2010-02-14, 06:41
I used Image 3 and then used webmin to install Samba.
Matt
Matt: fine, the new (beta image) or the "old"? If you tried the old, would you like to test the beta with the sbs-configurator? I'm still looking for guys to test this version. I would like to replace the "old" images with the new one. But at time I've to little response for this version! To everyone else reading this: Please test the beta image and report here!!!

Greetins, thomas

cdswift
2010-02-14, 09:38
Hi Thomas

I have downloaded your Stage 3 image, copied it onto an SD card, updated Uboot to 3.4.23, modified all env variables as per your wiki, but the system still refuses to boot ( I got the same problem with Uboot 3.4.19). The output is below. Any ideas?

Chris
Marvell>> run bootcmd
SDHC found. Card desciption is:
Manufacturer: 0x03, OEM "SD"
Product name: "SD08G", revision 8.0
Serial number: 1895364866
Manufacturing date: 9/2009

4299562 bytes read

1811960 bytes read
Image Name: Debian kernel 2.6.30-2-kirkwood
Created: 2010-01-20 18:34:50 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 1811896 Bytes = 1.7 MB
Load Address: 00008000
Entry Point: 00008000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK
## Loading Ramdisk Image at 00800000 ...
Image Name: Debian ramdisk 2.6.30-2-kirkwood
Image Type: ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size: 4299498 Bytes = 4.1 MB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux............................................. ................
.................................................. ..... done, booting the kernel

cdswift
2010-02-14, 10:20
Hi Thomas
I have just got my system working. Although I had previously followed your wiki, what wasn't clear to me was that you need to enter "saveenv" & "reset" & then it just works.

Thanks

Hi Thomas

I have downloaded your Stage 3 image, copied it onto an SD card, updated Uboot to 3.4.23, modified all env variables as per your wiki, but the system still refuses to boot ( I got the same problem with Uboot 3.4.19). The output is below. Any ideas?

Chris
Marvell>> run bootcmd

4299562 bytes read

1811960 bytes read
Image Name: Debian kernel 2.6.30-2-kirkwood
Data Size: 1811896 Bytes = 1.7 MB
OK
Image Name: Debian ramdisk 2.6.30-2-kirkwood
Data Size: 4299498 Bytes = 4.1 MB

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux............................................. ................
.................................................. ..... done, booting the kernel

Walter
2010-02-14, 16:14
To start with the right prerequisites, I am still puzzled which version I need to order from newit.

Do I need the barebone from 89 or 96 with UBIFS, or do I need the version with Debian Squeeze 4GB SD Multiboot?
If it is the last one, do I also need to add an additional SD card with a pre-installed Debian Squeeze, or install stage 3 on an empty SD card.

Since I donít have the Sheevaplug yet, I donít understand everything in this thread, but Iím quite sure it will get clear if I have it.

fragfutter
2010-02-15, 01:31
you can buy any sheevaplug you want (and any reasonable fast SD card). Everything else is just software.

To make things easier i suggest one with ubifs and debian squeeze, as these have an updated u-boot and kernel.

The tutorial will guide you on installing a system on a sd card and switch booting over to the sd card. Buy any Class 6 SD Card (above 2GB), you will wipe/format it in the process of the tutorial.

Walter
2010-02-15, 03:03
Thanks!
I just ordered the Debian Squeeze 4Gb Multiboot.

plutoz
2010-02-15, 05:18
I got my SheevaPlug up and running with Thomas' image, works great!

One thing I noticed, my SD card is 8GB but 'df -h' shows total size of 2GB (the size of the SD card img file) - is there any way to expand the partition short of reinstalling from scratch?

kesey
2010-02-15, 05:28
I got my SheevaPlug up and running with Thomas' image, works great!

One thing I noticed, my SD card is 8GB but 'df -h' shows total size of 2GB (the size of the SD card img file) - is there any way to expand the partition short of reinstalling from scratch?

Yes. You need to use gparted which is a Partition Editor.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

truehl
2010-02-15, 12:23
Yes. You need to use gparted which is a Partition Editor.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
Kesey is right! If you don't have a linux system running you can download a ubutu live CD with gparted already installed and no installation is needed: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Greetings, Thomas

Walter
2010-02-15, 14:13
This is the 2nd day in a row, that I cannot download the image. Is there a mirror?

truehl
2010-02-15, 15:02
This is the 2nd day in a row, that I cannot download the image. Is there a mirror?

Hi Walter, Thx for this information! I've just tried it and You are right!!! I don't know what problem they have ... It ran very well before! I'll check it tomorow and if it still don't work we have to find an other solution!

Sorry,
Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-02-15, 15:13
I've mailed the guys from uploashyper.

Hope they will fix it soon!

Greetings, Thomas

Walter
2010-02-15, 15:54
Thanks Thomas!

finemind
2010-02-15, 18:22
A question on how to make sure Squeezecenter starts when the Sheeva boots up. Currently if I switch off the plug, when it restarts, squeezecenter does not start and when I try to manually start it (/etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver start), it says no such file exists. Is there a command to make squeezecenter start every time the plug reboots?

Also, when I try to reboot the plug and then interrupt the boot to save the environment using 'shutdown -r now' using putty, it does not reboot, it just says connection lost and stays that way.

Matt

truehl
2010-02-16, 00:41
A question on how to make sure Squeezecenter starts when the Sheeva boots up. Currently if I switch off the plug, when it restarts, squeezecenter does not start and when I try to manually start it (/etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver start), it says no such file exists. Is there a command to make squeezecenter start every time the plug reboots?

Also, when I try to reboot the plug and then interrupt the boot to save the environment using 'shutdown -r now' using putty, it does not reboot, it just says connection lost and stays that way.

Matt
Matt: You use the Stage 3 Image??? (old one?) I also use it and SBS starts on every system start. A shutdown -r now also works well!!!

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-02-16, 00:43
Hi,
I've just tested an think downloads works again!!!

Greetings, Thomas

finemind
2010-02-16, 12:32
Dear Thomas, I guess I must be a real dummy. I tried to install the beta as you suggested but this did not work for me, so I went back to the Stage3. I changed the u-boot environment settings, and then saveenv and saw the NAND was being erased. Now I have only the Marvell>> prompt on the plug when it boots, no more Sheeva01.
Any idea how I can proceed now?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

truehl
2010-02-16, 13:06
Dear Thomas, I guess I must be a real dummy. I tried to install the beta as you suggested but this did not work for me, so I went back to the Stage3. I changed the u-boot environment settings, and then saveenv and saw the NAND was being erased. Now I have only the Marvell>> prompt on the plug when it boots, no more Sheeva01.
Any idea how I can proceed now?
Thanks in advance,
Matt

Matt: Are you sure that you've setup all environment variables correctly?

Marvell>> run bootcmd

Some people reported that their mmc-card is not always detected by the SheevaPlug. There is a workaround to solve this problem: Do the ďmmcinitĒ command twice and it will work. It looks like this:

The environment variables for the "old" Stage 3 are the same as the ones from the Beta version!

Please check!

Greetings,
Thomas

finemind
2010-02-16, 17:36
[QUOTE=truehl;517633]Matt: Are you sure that you've setup all environment variables correctly?

Hi again Thomas. yes all the values are correct. The problem arises after installing Samba.

When I then type
sheeva01:~# mount -a

This happens:
sheeva01:~# mount -a
mount error(111): Connection refused
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I tried to move on as I did not know what to do.

Then, when I type, shutdown -r now putty says 'The system is going down for reboot NOW!'
Then a warning appears saying 'Server unexpectedly closed network connection'
This happens every time. I am attaching a screen shot. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks

Matt

fragfutter
2010-02-17, 01:25
The server you are trying to mount from is not running a smb/cifs/samba.

On a reboot also the SSH server terminates. This kills your putty session. Connection terminated. If you are running your terminal on a serial line it might also be interrupted, as on the reset the USB might also be reseted and disconnected from the host (some advantages stay with old school serial lines).

truehl
2010-02-17, 08:24
Hi folks,
obviously the download link does not work once more. I'm searching for an alternative so please be patient.

Greetings,
Thomas

finemind
2010-02-17, 09:24
Here is what happens when I change the u-boot environment settings when using the Stage 3 image. What do I need to do? Is this why I am unable to saveenv? Apologies for all these questions, but I thought I was follwing the steps carefully.

mount: special device /dev/sda5 does not exist
[ 33.240000] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation
[ 33.240000] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101
mount error(101): Network is unreachable
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
Making sure that Squeezebox Server is not running first: No squeezeboxserve found running; none killed.
Starting Squeezebox Server.

Debian GNU/Linux squeeze/sid sheeva01 ttyS0

sheeva01 login: [ 94.320000] CIFS VFS: Error connecting to socket. Aborting operation
[ 94.320000] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -101

truehl
2010-02-17, 11:44
Here is what happens when I change the u-boot environment settings when using the Stage 3 image. What do I need to do? Is this why I am unable to saveenv?
finemind:
First: Stay cool, you system is alive! You can't change u-boot variables from a running debian system and I think you don't need to. Because your system works. Obviously you have a problem with the samba settings. I don't know the reason! O.K. You should do the following: Make a new sd-card best with the beta image. Then try to boot and set up all as mentioned in my wiki. Please inform me how it works. Don't install samba again, I will update the wiki for setting up samba server later.

Is this o.k. for you?

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-02-17, 15:23
Hi,
Alex made a very good job and gave me some space for a block and a possibility for downloads. The page is not ready configured yet, please be patient. At time you can download the newest Stage 3 Image. Updates later!

http://gs-ts.de/blog/

dennis55
2010-02-18, 04:02
Hello Truehl,the file can be seen on this webpage ,but you can't access it .Yet!.

dennis

http://gs-ts.de/blog/index.php?serendipity[subpage]=downloadmanager&thiscat=2&file=2

truehl
2010-02-18, 04:53
Hello Truehl,the file can be seen on this webpage ,but you can't access it .Yet!.
Yes, sorry, I already mailed to Alex and hope he will fix it. Be patient, sorry.

Greetings
Thomas

truehl
2010-02-18, 13:07
Please try here:

http://gs-ts.de/wordpress/?page_id=2

The blog will be updated later.

Greetings,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-18, 15:41
Hi!
Finally I got started. After some newbie hazzle I got serial on PuTTY to work. I found that I need to upgrade U-boo (only 3.4.16 level).

Have downloaded TFTP (never used it before). Loaded the uboot.bin to the "current directory", set security to "non".

Then I do as follw (copied frm PuTTY):
------------------------------------
Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.0.65
Marvell>> setenv gatewayip 192.168.0.254
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.200
Marvell>> bubt uboot.bin
Using egiga0 device
TFTP from server 169.254.234.44; our IP address is 192.168.1.200; sending through gateway 192.168.0.254
Filename 'uboot.bin'.
Load address: 0x2000000
Loading: T T T T T T T T T T
Retry count exceeded; starting again
Marvell>> bubt uboot.bin
Using egiga0 device
TFTP from server 169.254.234.44; our IP address is 192.168.1.200; sending through gateway 192.168.0.254
Filename 'uboot.bin'.
Load address: 0x2000000
Loading: T T T T T T T T T T
Retry count exceeded; starting again
Marvell>>
-----------------------

I tried some variants, either through my router or directly to my PCs ethernet outlet. Soemtimes the IP address in TFTPD changes when direct connected (DHCP inside Sheeva?), I changed accordingly. The "gatewayip is IP of my router...

Appreciate if someone could help a little bit, I seem to be not to far away from having it up and running with right uboot version... SDHC card is formatted with the image, so I'm ready to roll :)

Regards,
Jakob

finemind
2010-02-18, 19:26
finemind:
First: Stay cool, you system is alive! You can't change u-boot variables from a running debian system and I think you don't need to. Because your system works. Obviously you have a problem with the samba settings. I don't know the reason! O.K. You should do the following: Make a new sd-card best with the beta image. Then try to boot and set up all as mentioned in my wiki. Please inform me how it works. Don't install samba again, I will update the wiki for setting up samba server later.

Is this o.k. for you?

Greetings, Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I did that and all working fine now using the beta. Look forward to Samba updates.
Many thanks
Matt

truehl
2010-02-19, 01:25
Thanks Thomas, I did that and all working fine now using the beta. Look forward to Samba updates.
Many thanks
Matt

Hi Matt, I'm happy that it's working for you. I've updated the wiki for the samba installation. Please read here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies#Install_Samba_Se rver and please give me a feedback.

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-02-19, 01:31
Marvell>> setenv serverip 192.168.0.65
Marvell>> setenv gatewayip 192.168.0.254
Marvell>> setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.200
Marvell>> bubt uboot.bin

So your TFTP-Server is not in the same subnet as the Plug!?
Please locate the TFTP-Server in the same subnet as the Plug. Or am I get something wrong???

Please try and inform me!

Greetings,
Thomas

finemind
2010-02-19, 05:43
Hi Matt, I'm happy that it's working for you. I've updated the wiki for the samba installation. Please read here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies#Install_Samba_Se rver and please give me a feedback.

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi again, feedback is that this works perfectly, could not be easier, fantastic work thanks. One small thing is that the disk is read only under this set-up, using share level. How can I remove the write protection?
Matt

kesey
2010-02-19, 08:39
Hi again, feedback is that this works perfectly, could not be easier, fantastic work thanks. One small thing is that the disk is read only under this set-up, using share level. How can I remove the write protection?
Matt

My USB hard-drive is formatted ext3. The following works for allowing Read/Write on ext3. I don't know about VFAT or NTFS, but it is worth a try.

Assuming you have java installed on your desktop, then start Webmin on your Sheeva from your desktop browser.

On the left hand side menus of Webmin, select Others, then File Manager. You should see the Java logo with a circular design outside it. When Java has loaded, you will see File Explorer windows, one on the left and one on the right.
Use the window on the right hand side.
Double-click the mount point of your music directory.
Select your music directory, but do not open it.

Click on Info on the Menu Bar and a Dialogue Window will open.
Fill in the check boxes for Read, Write and List.
Click the Save Box and Bob's your uncle.

Do a <shutdown -r now> on your Sheeva, just to make sure everything has read in.

RE: VFAT and NTFS

http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=809;topic=275.0;num_re plies=11;sesc=2ef0f71c98064b239797cf29c6c5593f

author: Baz "I found something that works
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/chmod-external-usb-vfat-cant-chmod-a-directory-431058/

apparently Vfat drives can't be changed after mounting, so the entry in fstab has to be just right.
/dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick vfat rw,umask=0000 0 0
/dev/sda /mnt/usb vfat rw,umask=0000 0 0

Thanks for the help. It probably only arises with ex windows drives."

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-19, 10:33
So your TFTP-Server is not in the same subnet as the Plug!?
Please locate the TFTP-Server in the same subnet as the Plug. Or am I get something wrong???

Greetings,
Thomas

Thanks, worked immediately! (I used "setenv ipadress 192.16.0.99")

I now have the 3.4.19 running, I try to finish the installation tonight. Keep you posted.

/Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-19, 13:35
Hi,
I got stuck again... I get this error after running bootcmd:
"Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x0000020f)."

I have the SDHC card inserted.

See below for some more details. What's wrong??

Big thanks for advice...

/Jakob

---------------------------------
Marvell>> run bootcmd
Product name: "SD8GB", revision 2.0
Serial number: 2952798823
Manufacturing date: 6/2009

5084461 bytes read

1426888 bytes read
Image Name: Debian kernel
Created: 2010-02-03 19:36:13 UTC
Data Size: 1426824 Bytes = 1.4 MB
OK
Image Name: Debian ramdisk
Created: 2010-02-03 19:36:14 UTC
Data Size: 5084397 Bytes = 4.8 MB

Starting kernel ...

ID (hex) NAME
000009c6 QNAP TS-41x

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-19, 14:12
Hi... sorry for spamming...

I think I got it working, the same thing as cdswift experienced:

"cdswift

Hi Thomas
I have just got my system working. Although I had previously followed your wiki, what wasn't clear to me was that you need to enter "saveenv" & "reset" & then it just works."

(Great information source to read about others problems/solutions, I'll do it first if/when next issue occurs :) )

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-19, 15:21
Hi,
New problem... I manage to get the plug to boot from the SD card. When I come to the login prompt something strange happens (independant if I quickly login or if I just wait), the system "continues" to output a lot of text to the terminal windows and finally it stops (crashes??) (Please see below for small text sample of the end before it crashes)

I can reboot by pulling the cord, the same things happen again. If I remove the card I come to the "Marvel>>" prompt (It doesn't seem to boot from the internal memory anymore..)

Any suggestions on how to move forward appreciated.

Regards,
Jakob
------------
[ 80.000935] [<c0026a8c>] (__dabt_svc+0x4c/0x60) from [<c002f98c>] (do_alignment_ldrstr+0x5c/0xf4)
[ 80.009856] [<c002f98c>] (do_alignment_ldrstr+0x5c/0xf4) from [<c002ff60>] (do_alignment+0x53c/0x700)
[ 80.019126] [<c002ff60>] (do_alignment+0x53c/0x700) from [<c0026280>] (do_DataAbort+0x34/0x94)
[ 80.027783] [<c0026280>] (do_DataAbort+0x34/0x94) from [<c0026a8c>] (__dabt_svc+0x4c/0x60)
[ 80.036086] Exception stack(0xc09bfe80 to 0xc09bfec8)
[ 80.041167] fe80: 000b0098 3250695f 000b0080 5f747334 796c7069 000b0000 df802180 df802200
[ 80.049391] fea0: 000000a0 000000d0 c0042aac ffffffff 000b0000 c09bfec8 c00c7b58 c00c7b94
[ 80.057608] fec0: 20000093 ffffffff
[ 80.061120] [<c0026a8c>] (__dabt_svc+0x4c/0x60) from [<c00c7b94>] (__slab_alloc+0xb4/0x52c)
[ 80.069518] [<c00c7b94>] (__slab_alloc+0xb4/0x52c) from [<c00c8954>] (kmem_cache_alloc+0x70/0x100)
[ 80.078527] [<c00c8954>] (kmem_cache_alloc+0x70/0x100) from [<c0042aac>] (copy_process+0x98/0xe18)
[ 80.087534] [<c0042aac>] (copy_process+0x98/0xe18) from [<c0043984>] (do_fork+0x158/0x368)
[ 80.095843] [<c0043984>] (do_fork+0x158/0x368) from [<c0026ea0>] (ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x28)

truehl
2010-02-19, 15:36
Jacob: I did not seen such a thing before. Is it possible, that your sd card is not working properly? For me it looks like an file-system error. Perhaps you delete it with the sd-card formatter (see my wiki) and then copy the image to the card once more.

For booting from NAND you have the change back some u-boot variables. With Plug do you have, where did you order it? Did you save the values for u-boot before you changed them as suggested in my wiki?

Greetings,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-19, 23:59
Jacob: I did not seen such a thing before. Is it possible, that your sd card is not working properly? For me it looks like an file-system error. Perhaps you delete it with the sd-card formatter (see my wiki) and then copy the image to the card once more.

For booting from NAND you have the change back some u-boot variables. With Plug do you have, where did you order it? Did you save the values for u-boot before you changed them as suggested in my wiki?

Greetings,
Thomas
Thanks for respons and suggestions.
- I'll do a new copy to SD card
- Plug from newit (basic model)
- Yes, I did the "Marvell>> printenv" and saved all values in a text file. I'll go through and see if something is strange there as well.

Thanks. Keep you posted.
/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-20, 00:42
Thanks for respons and suggestions.
- I'll do a new copy to SD card
- Plug from newit (basic model)
- Yes, I did the "Marvell>> printenv" and saved all values in a text file. I'll go through and see if something is strange there as well.

Thanks. Keep you posted.
/Jakob

Jakob: O.K. What sort of sd-card do you use (Class 2 or Class 6)?
What exact model to you use, this one: http://www.newit.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1?

Greetings,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-20, 01:46
Jakob: O.K. What sort of sd-card do you use (Class 2 or Class 6)?
What exact model to you use, this one: http://www.newit.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1?

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi,
I asked for a class 6 SDHC card, but when double checking it seems to be class 4...
http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=76496

I'll go and invest in a new one and retry...

Your support and suggestions are highly appreciated, it's tough to be a newbie;)

/Jakob

anttmaki
2010-02-20, 02:44
Getting "Error while connecting" issues when trying to download the Stage 3 or 2 pack. Am I able to dl it from somewhere else?

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-20, 04:35
Hi,
I asked for a class 6 SDHC card, but when double checking it seems to be class 4...
http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=76496

I'll go and invest in a new one and retry...

Your support and suggestions are highly appreciated, it's tough to be a newbie;)

/Jakob

Looking more carefully it was a class 6 card... When I try to reformat SDFormatter (& XP) recognize the card as 125 MB. Strange. I might try with another card as well.

Keep you posted,
Jakob

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-20, 05:15
To get the SDcard formatter recognizing the real size, you have to go here: http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
grab the Empty Bootsector Image and put it on your SDcard with the USB Image Tool you already used to install the squeezeplug image.

The reason why the formatter does only recognize 125mb is that the image you previously installed uses partitions and the formatter can only format the first one of them.

Hope that helps!

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-20, 06:03
To get the SDcard formatter recognizing the real size, you have to go here: http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
grab the Empty Bootsector Image and put it on your SDcard with the USB Image Tool you already used to install the squeezeplug image.

The reason why the formatter does only recognize 125mb is that the image you previously installed uses partitions and the formatter can only format the first one of them.

Hope that helps!

Hi,
Thanks for the hint. When I ran the SD formatter the result turned out to be 8GB, even if it only recognized 125 MB in the beginning....

I'm downloading a new image etc to make run all steps once again..

Thanks,
Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-20, 06:10
Hi,
I've compared the printenv from "original" and after doing the changes in the wiki.

My findings in summary:
Two lines was available in "original printenv", but are not visible after the changes:

mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb0 0000@0x500000(rootfs) rw root=/dev/mtdblock1 rw

ip=10.4.50.4:10.4.50.5:10.4.50.5:255.255.255.0:DB8 8FXX81:eth0:none

The changed "setenv" seems to be there:

mainlineLinux=yes
arcNumber=2097
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootcmd_mmc=mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000

==> One line which looks strange is this one:

bootargs_root=root=/dev/mtdblock2 ro

it seems to have been cut?? It is the same in bothe "original" and after changes. (Can I have done a change by mistake before I did the printenv on original settings??)

The full printenv after changes, as it looks now, pasted below.

Any suggestions highly appreciated...

/Jakob

Marvell>> printenv
baudrate=115200
loads_echo=0
rootpath=/mnt/ARM_FS/
netmask=255.255.0.0
console=a0000
e=ttyS0,115200
CASset=min
MALLOC_len=1
ethprime=egiga0
bootargs_root=root=/dev/mtdblock2 ro
ethmtu=1500
usb0Mode=host
nandEcc=1bit
ethact=egiga0
serverip=10.10.0.2
ipaddr=10.10.0.1
cesvcid=ULULULULULULPPULULULULULDA
bootargs_end=:::DB88FXX81:eth0:none
image_name=uImage
standalone=fsload 0x2000000 $(image_name);setenv bootargs $(console) root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw ip=$(ipaddr):$(serverip)$(bootargs_end) $(mvPhoneConfig); bootm 0x2000000;
mvPhoneConfig=mv_phone_config=dev0:fxs,dev1:fxs
mvNetConfig=mv_net_config=(00:11:88:0f:62:81,0:1:2 :3),mtu=1500
yuk_ethaddr=00:00:00:EE:51:81
netretry=no
rcvrip=169.254.100.100
loadaddr=0x02000000
autoload=no
ethaddr=00:50:43:01:49:0B
run_diag=no
arcNumber=2097
bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
bootcmd_mmc=mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage
bootcmd=setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
nandEnvBase=a0000
mainlineLinux=yes
enaMonExt=no
enaCpuStream=no
enaWrAllo=no
pexMode=RC
disL2Cache=no
setL2CacheWT=yes
disL2Prefetch=yes
enaICPref=yes
enaDCPref=yes
sata_dma_mode=yes
netbsd_en=no
vxworks_en=no
bootdelay=3
disaMvPnp=no
enaAutoRecovery=yes
pcieTune=no
bootargs=console=ttyS0,115200

Environment size: 1335/131068 bytes

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-20, 06:33
Hi,
Thanks for the hint. When I ran the SD formatter the result turned out to be 8GB, even if it only recognized 125 MB in the beginning....

I'm downloading a new image etc to make run all steps once again..

Thanks,
Jakob

I downloaded new image, formatted a new card, loaded the image on it -> same thin happens, a lot of text being printed to serial interface and then the system hangs...

:(

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-20, 06:41
Getting "Error while connecting" issues when trying to download the Stage 3 or 2 pack. Am I able to dl it from somewhere else?

Please try here:
+++ 2010-02-19 Download links don't work, please try: http://gs-ts.de/squeezeplug where you can download the newest image. +++

truehl
2010-02-20, 06:53
I downloaded new image, formatted a new card, loaded the image on it -> same thin happens, a lot of text being printed to serial interface and then the system hangs...

/Jakob
Jakob: I don't know what your problem is but I would suggest the following. 1. Restore the original boot variables for your plug. You can find the here: http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html. Choose the right model! Keep in mind: to set variable you have to type the variable name blank an the value (not a =) If you see lines with more than one variables ";" you have the type the whole line in 'Line'.
2. See wether your system runs without an sd-card from nand
3. Try to install the system from scratch, not with a prepaired card: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies#Installing_the_b ase_system.

Please Keep me informed!!!

Good Luck, Thomas

anttmaki
2010-02-20, 06:56
Please try here:
+++ 2010-02-19 Download links don't work, please try: http://gs-ts.de/squeezeplug where you can download the newest image. +++

Oh, didnt see that one. :) Cheers! Now I just need to wait for my Sheeva to arrive.

truehl
2010-02-20, 09:09
Matt

Matt: Did you set "File Permissions" "Force Unix user" to root. Choose root from the list, don't type. Please inform me ....

Greetings,
Thomas

truehl
2010-02-20, 23:22
+++ 2010-02-21 Old Download links don't work and are removed now please try: http://gs-ts.de/squeezeplug where you can download the newest image. +++

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 02:01
Jakob: I don't know what your problem is but I would suggest the following. 1. Restore the original boot variables for your plug. You can find the here: http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html. Choose the right model! Keep in mind: to set variable you have to type the variable name blank an the value (not a =) If you see lines with more than one variables ";" you have the type the whole line in 'Line'.
2. See wether your system runs without an sd-card from nand
3. Try to install the system from scratch, not with a prepaired card: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Sheevaplug_SBS_Server_for_dummies#Installing_the_b ase_system.

Please Keep me informed!!!

Good Luck, Thomas

Thanks for your endless patience and support Thomas. Thaks all for your support.

I followed your suggestions:

1. 2. I managed the plug to boot from NAND again. I'm 100% sure what I'm doing with all setenv etc, but obviously I managed to change it back enough to get it started . (I lernt that "seten arcNumber" without a number behind removes that line.)
- Stil a bit strange behaviour: When "login" etc shows up, it takes a few seconds and then the "booting" continues for a few pages of text in terminal window. Then it "login" comes again and I can login. This is similar behaviour as before, with the difference that it doesnt hang. (and different text being displayed)
3. Tried to do the installation according to your instruction. All went well but when i came to "Installing the base sysyte" it gets stuck att "Validating packages 0%". Then I went to bed 3 AM... :(

A few thoughts:
- I got the bare bone plug from newit (89 pounds).
-> Has anyone else got it to work?
-> There are different "setenv" for other plug variants, should I try thoose?
- Could it be an idea to reinstall the 3.4.19 or even install 3.4.23, to refresh the machine?
- I read on newits forum (http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,134.0.html) that there are commands calles resetenv & reset. Can they be useful for me to get back to original settings?
- The IP addresses in my machine are
serverip=10.10.0.2
ipaddr=10.10.0.1
rcvrip=169.254.100.100
ip=10.4.50.4:10.4.50.5:10.4.50.5:255.255.255.0:DB8 8FXX81:eth0:none
netmask=255.255.0.0

My PC has IP address 192.168.0.65
My router (gateway) has IP address 192.168.0.254

Should the IP addresses be in same subnet? (as before with TFTPD..)
Can this cause the machine to hang??

Regards,
Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 02:13
I read on newit forum for U-Boot environment variables for Sheevaplug SD-boot version (http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,136.0.html)

"U-Boot environment variables (note faulty console & e values, these are due to a bug in U-Boot 3.4.19):"

The values for this settigns are different from my plug:

- e=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0xc0000@0(uboot)ro,0x1ff00000@0x 100000(root)
- console=a0000

Is it so that when upgrading to U-boot 3.4.19 I get wrong settings and have to change above??

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 02:38
Jacob:
Please update u-boot to 3.4.23. Look to my wiki! Overwrite the existing variables to the default. The TFTP server should be in the same subnet as your plug follow my wiki.

Then try again with my new image, Change the variables as descriebed in my wiki. Please inform me how it works.

Greeting,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 03:21
Hi,
Updated succesfully to 3.4.23 (I assume all setenv are refreshed then??)
(incl. following setting
setenv serverip 192.168.0.65
setenv gatewayip 192.168.0.254
setenv ipaddress 192.16.0.99
saveennv
)

Did a fresh copy of you latest 20100206 image on fresh formatted card.

Changed settings according to wiki:

Then I did
saveenv

restarting with reset did not work (I think)
run bootcmd worked

Unfortunatley the same thing happens, after Mysql and Squeezeboxserver started I get the "login", I write root, try to enter password --- and then all text pages are coming to termional window and then it hangs...

Can I do some tiny detail wrong?

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 03:33
Jakob: I really don't know! There must be something wrong with the image (normally it works perfect). So I suggest to install the Debian system from scartch and see how it works. The Plug seems ok now! One other thing could be that the sd-card reader doesn't work properly. Please try to install the base system as descriebed in the wiki. One more question: The basic System from newit came with a u-boot version of 3.4.19 ?

Good luck again!

Greetings,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 03:37
Jakob: I really don't know! There must be something wrong with the image (normally it works perfect). So I suggest to install the Debian system from scartch and see how it works. The Plug seems ok now! One other thing could be that the sd-card reader doesn't work properly. Please try to install the base system as descriebed in the wiki. One more question: The basic System from newit came with a u-boot version of 3.4.19 ?

Good luck again!

Greetings,
Thomas

Hi,
First one more question: When I do the upgrade of the Uboot, should I answer "yes" to the following question
"Override Env parameters? (y/n) n"
to make a fresh start of my setenv parameters??

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 03:39
Hi,
First one more question: When I do the upgrade of the Uboot, should I answer "yes" to the following question
"Override Env parameters? (y/n) n"
to make a fresh start of my setenv parameters??

/Jakob

Jakob: yes

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 03:40

Good luck again!

Greetings,
Thomas

I have a new card reader... It behaved a bit strangely with one of the cards, did not find it all, but seems to work ok. First time I did an image I used a differnt PC with other card reader = same problem. So I don't think it's the card reader..

The Uboot version when delivered was 3.4.16.

/Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 03:47
now I did "y" on settings when upgrading Uboot. (by mistake back to 3..4.19)

I followed the wiki, when doing run CMDboot I got same fault as before with a lot of text coming, but it did not hang! (Improvement!!)

THe following text came again and again with increasingly higher number in the beginning (75, 76, 77, 78...)

[ 76.056345] Internal error: : 4 [#2039]
[ 76.060197] last sysfs file: /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo/operstate
[ 76.066406] Modules linked in:
[ 76.069295] Unhandled fault: external abort on linefetch (0x004) at 0xbf130e6

I'll try again with 3.4.23.. A glimpse of hope :)

truehl
2010-02-21, 03:48
Jakob: I mean the reader from the Plug!

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 03:58
Jakob: I mean the reader from the Plug!

How to find out??

truehl
2010-02-21, 04:01
Jakob: Don't know, but we will see it maybe if you try not to use a prepered card, instead of installing it all by the long way. Maybe you get errors while installing!

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 04:04
Jakob: Don't know, but we will see it maybe if you try not to use a prepered card, instead of installing it all by the long way. Maybe you get errors while installing!

Greetings, Thomas

Hi,
Exactly what happened during my night session (as posted earlier)

"3. Tried to do the installation according to your instruction. All went well but when i came to "Installing the base sysyte" it gets stuck att "Validating packages 0%". Then I went to bed 3 AM... "

I think this is the stage when the plug shall put the base system incl partitioning to the card?

Indicating a faulty card reader??

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 04:20
Jakob: Did you make the partitions during the install process manually?
If not, pleas do. First delete all data on the card (from the Debian install process) and than make 3 new partitions as discriebed in the wiki.

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-02-21, 04:27
Jakob: And one other thing: If you install Debian from scratch be sure that you have a working internet-connection and a DHCP Sever to to get an IP-Address for the plug!

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 04:47
Jakob: Did you make the partitions during the install process manually?
If not, pleas do. First delete all data on the card (from the Debian install process) and than make 3 new partitions as discriebed in the wiki.

Greetings, Thomas

Yes, I did 3 manual partitions as described. It was at the subsequent step the error/hanging occured.

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 04:50
Jakob: And one other thing: If you install Debian from scratch be sure that you have a working internet-connection and a DHCP Sever to to get an IP-Address for the plug!

Greetings, Thomas

I assume my router has DHCP to give an IP address to the plug?

Maybe other IP settings in the plug myst be done to be inside the sub-domain?

(I think the IP addresses during my nightly session was:
serverip=10.10.0.2
ipaddr=10.10.0.1
rcvrip=169.254.100.100
ip=10.4.50.4:10.4.50.5:10.4.50.5:255.255.255.0B8 8FXX81:eth0:none
netmask=255.255.0.0

My PC has IP address 192.168.0.65
My router (gateway) has IP address 192.168.0.254
)

?

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 05:19
Jakob: The IP Addresses are to differnt things: Once you have the Addresses from the Plug (u-boot) itself. The other IP is from Debian. Debian takes it from a DHCP-Server while installation.

Greetings, Thomas

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-21, 07:40
My plug from NewIT came with 3.4.16 uboot and according to the uboot update page, I rather used the 3.4.19 version which works quite well. So if 3.4.23 is not working, perhaps you should try 3.4.19 first.

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 11:01
My plug from NewIT came with 3.4.16 uboot and according to the uboot update page, I rather used the 3.4.19 version which works quite well. So if 3.4.23 is not working, perhaps you should try 3.4.19 first.

Hi,
Thanks fopr sharing. Yes, that was my thinking as well, to stay on 3.4.19 which was indicated as not having some new minor problem introduced in 3.4.23.

Are you using the settings (setenc) from the original 3.4.16 installation? (or did you say "y" after the Uboot upgrade?)
Would it be possible for you to post your printenv?

Did you do anything else outside the Wiki to make it work??

Many thanks,
Jakob

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-21, 11:12
I just followed the instructions Thomas posted in the wiki. But I used the USBstick method instead of the TFTP one and the 3.4.19 uboot.

That did work for me. Don't know which changes 3.4.23 brings but I don't think they are necessary for the squeezeplug installation.

truehl
2010-02-21, 11:16
Jakob:
You can lookup all variables here: http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,9.0.html

Hope that helps!

Greetings Thomas

truehl
2010-02-21, 14:06
Hi folks,
because of some Problems with the u-boot variables i made a excel-spreadsheet to make it all a bit easier I hope. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 14:07
Hi,
I'm contacting NewIT to see if they can help... if it's a HW / waranty issue.

I noticed on their forum that certain SDHC cards doesn't work.

First I used a Kingston 8GB class 6 (someone claimed that they don't work, but at it was found by the system, booted ok to some extent etc. Can it still be the probelm?.

Then I bought a SanDisk extremeIII 4GB class 6. I have not seen that this is better or worse than the Kingston...

ANy views on above cards?

(if I buy one or two more SDHC cards, they have costed as much as the plug itself... :( )

Regards,
Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 14:09
Hi,
Thanks fopr sharing. Yes, that was my thinking as well, to stay on 3.4.19 which was indicated as not having some new minor problem introduced in 3.4.23.

Are you using the settings (setenc) from the original 3.4.16 installation? (or did you say "y" after the Uboot upgrade?)
Would it be possible for you to post your printenv?

Did you do anything else outside the Wiki to make it work??

Many thanks,
Jakob

Jakob: I've no problems with 3.4.23

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-21, 14:13
Hi folks,
because of some Problems with the u-boot variables i made a excel-spreadsheet to make it all a bit easier I hope. Maybe you'll find it useful.

Greetings, Thomas

Hi Thomas.
This is absolutely brilliant! I'll try Monday or Tuesday evening.

If I understand I should use "C" when booting from the SDHC card?
If not an "x" I erase the setting by typing "setenv paramater" but no variable?
Uboot version is not relevant to these settigns?

Many thanks,
Jakob

truehl
2010-02-21, 14:41
Hi Thomas.
This is absolutely brilliant! I'll try Monday or Tuesday evening.

If I understand I should use "C" when booting from the SDHC card?
If not an "x" I erase the setting by typing "setenv paramater" but no variable?
Uboot version is not relevant to these settigns?

Many thanks,
Jakob

Jakob: No not exactly:
F stands for the factory settings
U for the UBIFS-Version from newit
C for the sd-card version from newit
M for the multiboot version from newit
D for the Debian Version i Used for setting up the system.

So the version you have to use depends on your verison of the plug. I think you own the standdard version. So set the filter to F. After that see how it works from the NAND. If this works, set the variables from the wiki (only a few).

Yes leaving the value blank should erase the variable.
No I think it should work with all version. But if I would be you, I'll used 3.4.23.

Good luck again!

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-02-22, 08:02
+++ 2010-02-22 New Blog is online now !!! http://squeezeplug.de/ New Image available here !!! +++

Please visit !!!

Thanks to GS_Schimpf who made it possible and host me !!!

Greetings,
Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 11:12
Jakob: No not exactly:
F stands for the factory settings
U for the UBIFS-Version from newit
C for the sd-card version from newit
M for the multiboot version from newit
D for the Debian Version i Used for setting up the system.

So the version you have to use depends on your verison of the plug. I think you own the standdard version. So set the filter to F. After that see how it works from the NAND. If this works, set the variables from the wiki (only a few).

Yes leaving the value blank should erase the variable.
No I think it should work with all version. But if I would be you, I'll used 3.4.23.

Good luck again!

Greetings, Thomas

Hi,
I've worked through your list (= really super, BIG THANKS). More than I expected is a bit different here and there. I copied the "F commands" to a separate column (paste values) and then deleted the values for the commands that should not be in "F" variant. By this I created a "semi automatic batch file" :) . I managed to get the plug to boot again after the late night session on Saturday. Great!

But: it seems as it can't find some boot option, this is what happens after a while:
-----
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
1f00 768 mtdblock0 (driver?)
1f01 523264 mtdblock1 (driver?)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
---------

I tried some alternatives:
setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/mtdblock1 ro
setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/mtdblock0 ro
setenv root /dev/mtdblock1 rw

but nothing works...

???

/Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 11:24
When comparing to my earlier printout, I'm missing this setting:

setenv root /dev/mtdblock0 rw ip=$(ipaddr):$(serverip)$(bootargs_end)

I'll make a try...
/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-22, 11:28
Jakob: Could you please download the matrix again?! I've changed somthing (not the variables itself) I changed the "D" to "S" and "S" variables are now additional. So you can first choose "F" and than additionly "S".

Please report!

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 11:44
Jakob: Could you please download the matrix again?! I've changed somthing (not the variables itself) I changed the "D" to "S" and "S" variables are now additional. So you can first choose "F" and than additionly "S".

Please report!

Greetings, Thomas

Hi,
Looks good. I can select F or S, but not at the same time. But I think it is working ok as it is. My problem now is to find the root to boot from (as indicated earlier..)

/Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 13:39
I'm changing the "setenv" paramters, save them with saveenv, reset and crash... restart..

But strangely, when I do a printev again, the settings are changed!

For example

bootdelay (I set to longer time so I can more easily get to Marvel>> prompt, but it switches back to 3 seconds...

bootargs_console (it just diappears)

Should it be like that??

/Jakob

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 14:52
I think I found a small fault in the excel:

setenv bootargs_console ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb0 0000@0x500000(rootfs) rw root=/dev/mtdblock1 rw ip=10.4.50.4:10.4.50.5:10.4.50.5:255.255.255.0:DB8 8FXX81:eth0:none

should be:

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb0 0000@0x500000(rootfs) rw root=/dev/mtdblock1 rw ip=10.4.50.4:10.4.50.5:10.4.50.5:255.255.255.0:DB8 8FXX81:eth0:none

?

truehl
2010-02-22, 15:07
Jakob: wait, i've found some incorrect settings in the excel sheet. I'm working!

truehl
2010-02-22, 15:23
Jakob:
here is the new file. I hope this works!

But i don't think that thats your problem!

Greetings, Thomas

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-22, 15:29
Thanks. I did my settings by using the NewIT info directly, I think I got it somehow right. At least managed to boot from NAND.

But formatting card from plug doesn't work at all....

/Jakob

truehl
2010-02-22, 15:55
So it must be the reader???

Matt B
2010-02-22, 16:18
I seem to be having the same troubles as other's who've bought the basic sheevaplug from NewIT - The one that comes loaded with uboot 3.4.16. I've followed the wiki...
Used USB Image Tool to "restore" the Stage 3 Image(Beta) onto a Kingston Ultimate 4GB class 6 SDHC card,
Upgraded uboot to 3.4.23,
Changed the uboot environment settings as per the wiki,
But then at run bootcmd I get this...

Marvell>> run bootcmd
Manufacturer: 0x41, OEM "42"
Product name: "SD4GB", revision 2.0
Serial number: 560463886
Manufacturing date: 7/2009
Manufacturer: 0x41, OEM "42"
Product name: "SD4GB", revision 2.0
Serial number: 560463886
Manufacturing date: 7/2009

5084461 bytes read

1426888 bytes read
Image Name: Debian kernel
Created: 2010-02-03 19:36:13 UTC
Data Size: 1426824 Bytes = 1.4 MB
OK
Image Name: Debian ramdisk
Created: 2010-02-03 19:36:14 UTC
Data Size: 5084397 Bytes = 4.8 MB

Starting kernel ...

ID (hex) NAME
000009c6 QNAP TS-41x

...and it hangs there! What's the next step? Try the Stage 3 image on a different SDHC card, or build the debian image from scratch?

truehl
2010-02-23, 01:08
Matt:
I think you are right. All people using this Basic version report such problems.

Could you please try the following:
1. Set the variables to:

setenv arcNumber 2097
setenv autoload no
setenv baudrate 115200
setenv bootargs_console bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
setenv bootargs_end :::DB88FXX81:eth0:none
setenv bootargs_root root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
setenv 'bootcmd setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x800000 /uImage; bootm 0x00800000'
setenv bootdelay 3
setenv CASset min
setenv console console=ttyS0,115200 mtdparts=nand_mtd:0xc0000@0(uboot)ro,0x1ff00000@0x 100000(root)
setenv disaMvPnp no
setenv disL2Cache no
setenv disL2Prefetch yes
setenv enaAutoRecovery yes
setenv enaCpuStream no
setenv enaDCPref yes
setenv enaICPref yes
setenv enaMonExt no
setenv enaWrAllo no
setenv ethact egiga0
setenv ethaddr 00:50:43:01:xx:xx
setenv ethmtu 1500
setenv ethprime egiga0
setenv filesize 32D62A
setenv image_name uImage
setenv ipaddr 10.4.50.165
setenv loadaddr 0x02000000
setenv loads_echo 0
setenv mainlineLinux yes
setenv MALLOC_len 1
setenv mvNetConfig mv_net_config=(00:11:88:0f:62:81,0:1:2:3),mtu=1500
setenv mvPhoneConfig mv_phone_config=dev0:fxs,dev1:fxs
setenv nandEcc 1bit
setenv nandEnvBase a0000
setenv netbsd_en no
setenv netmask 255.255.255.0
setenv netretry no
setenv pcieTune no
setenv pexMode RC
setenv rcvrip 169.254.100.100
setenv 'real_bootcmd setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0:1 0x800000 /uImage; bootm 0x00800000'
setenv 'recover1 setenv mainlineLinux yes; setenv arcNumber 2097; setenv bootcmd run recover2; saveenv; reset'
setenv 'recover2 run recover3; setenv bootcmd $(real_bootcmd); saveenv; setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk=0x01100000,8M install_type=mmc; bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000'
setenv 'recover3 usb start; fatload usb 0 0x00800000 uImage; fatload usb 0 0x01100000 initrd'
setenv rootpath /mnt/ARM_FS/
setenv sata_dma_mode yes
setenv serverip 10.4.50.5
setenv setL2CacheWT yes
setenv 'standalone fsload 0x2000000 $(image_name);setenv bootargs $(console) root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw ip=$(ipaddr):$(serverip)$(bootargs_end) $(mvPhoneConfig); bootm 0x2000000;'
setenv stderr serial
setenv stdin serial
setenv stdout serial
setenv usb0Mode host
setenv vxworks_en no
setenv yuk_ethaddr 00:00:00:EE:51:81

2. and than change some of them:
setenv arcNumber 2097
setenv bootargs_console bootargs_console=console=ttyS0,115200
setenv 'bootcmd setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x400000 0x0800000''
setenv 'bootcmd_mmc setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x0800000 /uInitrd; ext2load mmc 0 0x400000 /uImage''
setenv mainlineLinux yes

Please note that one line goes from setenv to the next sentenv.

Good luck,
Greetings, Thomas

Matt B
2010-02-23, 02:25
Thanks Thomas,
I will try those settings tonight

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-23, 04:37
I seem to be having the same troubles as other's who've bought the basic sheevaplug from NewIT - The one that comes loaded with uboot 3.4.16. I've followed the wiki...
Used USB Image Tool to "restore" the Stage 3 Image(Beta) onto a Kingston Ultimate 4GB class 6 SDHC card,
Upgraded uboot to 3.4.23,
Changed the uboot environment settings as per the wiki,
But then at run bootcmd I get this...
----
----
...and it hangs there! What's the next step? Try the Stage 3 image on a different SDHC card, or build the debian image from scratch?

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the club ;)

You probably you've seen that I've had similar problems....

What I learnt is that thhe basic plug's "setenv" parameter settings have bugs, e.g. one parameter "e=...". I think this is what Thomas suggest you to fix with his "setenv" list. What I think might be needed in addition is to remove some settings. Do a "printenv" and compare if you have any additional settings compared with the ones in Thomas list. If so, remove them by e.g. "setenv arcNumber" but leave out the value.

I speede up my "setenv" handling by pasting into "printenv" a spread sheet and then pasting the desired settings in next column. By sorting A-Z I can easily find any differences.

(You copy from PuTTY by left clicking on mouse and drag across the terminal widow and then release left button. No need for ctrl-c)

Hope it helps a little.

My seem to have a problem with the SD reader as well, I'll return to NewIT tonight for checking..)

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Jakob

truehl
2010-02-23, 05:48
Hi Folks,

Iím happy to tell you, that my domain is ready and you are able to reach me in an easy way. Thanks a lot to Alex who made it all possible!!!

visit: http://squeezeplug.de

Greetings, Thomas

Matt B
2010-02-23, 15:46
Thomas, I tried your suggested environment settings without success. Actually when setting recover2 (all on one line), I got an error message saying too many arguments, and printenv showed the recover2 line truncated to...
recover2=run recover3; setenv bootcmd $(real_bootcmd); saveenv; setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk=0x01100000,8M install_type=mmc; bootm

do you have any more ideas?

truehl
2010-02-23, 16:17
Matt, yes you are right with the recover2 variable. NewIt describe this either, You have to split it. Please refer the new it forum. Perhaps you can paste here how it works, I've not the time yet to figure it out.

I've found a few more fault in the excel sheet so i correctet it and here it is.

Good luck and keep me informed!

Greetings, Thomas

truehl
2010-02-23, 16:30
Matt:
just a quicky: can that be???
setenv recover21 'run recover3; setenv bootcmd $(real_bootcmd); saveenv'
setenv recover22 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk=0x01100000,8M install_type=mmc; bootm 0x00800000 0x01100000'
setenv recover2 '$(revover21); $(recover22)'

Greetings, Thomas

Matt B
2010-02-24, 12:57
Thomas,
I decided to take a different route and followed the Installing the Base System part of your wiki, instead of using the Stage 3 (beta) Image. It worked perfectly (apart from forgetting to include ssh when configuring Debian). Music files are getting copied via winSCP to the attached USB drive right now.

I guess there must be something in your Stage 3 Image that does not allow it to boot with the basic SheevaPlug, because all the other instructions in your wiki worked perfectly once I reset the environment variables back to the factory defaults and started afresh.

Thanks

GS_Schimpf
2010-02-24, 14:54
I can't confirm your statement that the image doesn't work with the basic plug!

I also have one here and it works absolutely perfect with that image. There must be something else that isn't working.

If you have a spare sdcard, you could try an different image or start over again with the stage3 image.

I use 3.4.19 uboot and it works. Perhaps 3.4.27 or 3.4.19 will work for you as well. When I installed mine 3.4.23 was said to be rather unstable respectively having some problems, so I decided to go with 3.4.19 first and it still works like a charm.

If you don't want to try again, have fun with your installation anyways, sheevaplug + SBS is the best either way :)

Greetings!

Matt B
2010-02-24, 15:30
You could be right, I changed the uboot to 3.4.23. I got there in the end, so I'm happy

truehl
2010-02-26, 08:02
Hi Folks,

as you know, I'm working on new images. So it's important for me to know, how you connect your music-library to the SheevaPlug. I want to prepare the new images to fit for mostly all environments. So please tell me about your music-library connection.

Please post your answers on my blog: http://squeezeplug.de

Greeting Thomas

truehl
2010-02-27, 08:08
I thought a lot about of what kind of new images I shall provide. Now I think I found a solution:

SqueezePlug_Base -- Just Debian Squeeze in an actual version to build your own solution on it using my wiki

SquuezePlug_Main -- Preinstalled SqueezPlug with all you need including skript for customization

SqueezePlug_Mod -- Same as SquuezePlug_Main but modified image from NewIT, so that you don't have to change anything with the NewIT plugs.

The SqueezePlug_Base image should come as an 2GB image, so that you can use it on nearly every card and it variable to enlarge if you like. The other two images should come as 4GB images, because most of you uses such cards.

What do you think?

Please visit my blog an tell me your oppinion:

http://squeezeplug.de

jakobmagnusson
2010-02-27, 14:13
Hi Folks,

as you know, I'm working on new images. So it's important for me to know, how you connect your music-library to the SheevaPlug. I want to prepare the new images to fit for mostly all environments. So please tell me about your music-library connection.

Please post your answers on my blog: http://squeezeplug.de

Greeting Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Posting here, I did not see how to post on your blog...
I will have one USB (NTFS) harddisk connected to the plug directly.
On my PC I will do tagging, album art etc and store it on a harddisk on the PC. Keep the two harddisks synced over the LAN (a router/switch in between).
Regards,
Jakob
PS My plug is now in UK for checking if it's faulty, hopefull get it back next week...

truehl
2010-02-27, 14:39
Hi Thomas,
Posting here, I did not see how to post on your blog...

Hi Jokob: just click on "No comments"!

Good luck with your plug! If I were you, I would ask the newIT guys to send you a multi-boot plug. I hope to publish an image in a few days that runs on this version without any changes. It will be the SqueezePlug_Mod version.

Greetings, Thomas

Please try to post in my blog and visit it recently for annoucements!

anttmaki
2010-03-02, 00:37
Iíve used the latest patched version of SBS for my images (7.4.2~xxxxx). This version works fine for me. If you like, you can easily update to an other version by simply installing the new package over the old one. Settings and the database will be migrated. Just keep in mind that you have to tune your SBS Server, if you wish, every time youíve installed a new version as described at the end of this guide see #Tuning the Squeezeboxserver.

Do you mean that I only need to do that if I update the SBS? Is the SBS already tuned in your Stage3 image?

truehl
2010-03-02, 02:03
Do you mean that I only need to do that if I update the SBS? Is the SBS already tuned in your Stage3 image?
anttmaki: yes and yes!

truehl
2010-03-02, 23:31
Because I've fixed some problems with the SheevaPlug-Installer, there is no need for the SqueezePlug_Mod image anymore. The SqueezePlug_Main image will be full compatible with the Multi-Boot SheevaPlug option from NewIT. Testing is still in progress.