PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about joining the Squeezebox world what kit do I need?

dmkw
2010-01-04, 15:32
Over the holidays I discovered the limitations of my current audio setup so over the last few days Ive been researching the available multi-room options and the Squeezebox appears to be the best solution, but I need your help to make sure that I purchase the correct kit. Ill start by describing my current setup and then what I want it to do for me.

Currently I have a Home Cinema PC in the family room running Windows 7 Media Center connected to a plasma and to my 5.1 audio system a Sony STR DB2000. From this amp I also run 2 other speakers next door to the kitchen which I can select by pressing the Speaker A/B switch when I want to listen to music in the kitchen or have a party and have music in both rooms.

The other side of the family room is the main lounge and this is where Id also like to have the option to be able to listen to music either separately or in sync with the other rooms the same also goes for the kitchen and the family room. The lounge speakers are on my shopping list and Im looking at an In-Wall solution, such as the ones available from Monitor Audio.

The Media Center is connected to my Gigabit LAN, which is also wireless as the ADSL router is a Linksys WAG160N. I also have a Windows Home Server which stores my CD collection, movies, PC backup etc.

Is the Squeezebox Duet the best way to go in this scenario? Do I need a player of some sort in the family room, or can I still use the Media Center PC. Do I need an extra amp for the kitchen? Id be grateful for any advice and help.

Thanks,
Dave.

erland
2010-01-04, 16:47
Where do you want to see what's playing ?
- In which rooms ?
- Just on the remote control or on a central display in the room ?

Generally speaking, the standard recommendation is that you should have one player in each room where you want sound.

There are two player solutions:
- Players that requires a amplifier or active speakers: Duet, Receiver, Classic, Transporter and soon Touch
- Players that have built-in speakers: Radio and Boom

Boom/Radio is good for rooms where you don't need the best sound quality, for example bedroom or kitchen. External speakers which is usually used with the other players often gives better sound quality but uses more physical space and often gets more expensive since you need more equipment.

For rooms where you have an amplifier or active speakers and don't need a central display, the Duet package is a great solution. If you don't need a central display in any of the rooms and one remote control is enough, you can get a Duet for one room and a couple of Reciever (Duet without the remote) for the other rooms. If you want a central display in these rooms you should instead select Classic, Transporter or the not yet released Touch.

If you want a graphical remote control there are a number of solutions:
- The Controller which is part of the Duet package
- A iPhone or iPod Touch with one of the Squeezebox applications

pski
2010-01-04, 16:57
Over the holidays I discovered the limitations of my current audio setup so over the last few days I’ve been researching the available multi-room options and the Squeezebox appears to be the best solution, but I need your help to make sure that I purchase the correct kit. I’ll start by describing my current setup and then what I want it to do for me.

Currently I have a Home Cinema PC in the family room running Windows 7 Media Center connected to a plasma and to my 5.1 audio system – a Sony STR DB2000. From this amp I also run 2 other speakers next door to the kitchen which I can select by pressing the Speaker A/B switch when I want to listen to music in the kitchen or have a party and have music in both rooms.

The other side of the family room is the main lounge and this is where I’d also like to have the option to be able to listen to music either separately or in sync with the other rooms – the same also goes for the kitchen and the family room. The lounge speakers are on my shopping list and I’m looking at an In-Wall solution, such as the ones available from Monitor Audio.

The Media Center is connected to my Gigabit LAN, which is also wireless as the ADSL router is a Linksys WAG160N. I also have a Windows Home Server which stores my CD collection, movies, PC backup etc.

Is the Squeezebox Duet the best way to go in this scenario? Do I need a player of some sort in the family room, or can I still use the Media Center PC. Do I need an extra amp for the kitchen? I’d be grateful for any advice and help.

Thanks,

Dave.

You can start to play by downloading SqueezeBoxServer to either your Media Center or the WHS. Since the "main" output is connected to your Media Center, I'd suggest you put it there.

Assuming the Media Center PC can "see" the music on the WHS (via a shared drive,) you can then install SoftSqueeze or Squeezeplayer on the Media Center (after building the SBServer files) and use that computer to play your music (using the web interface) without buying ANY hardware..

Give it a try and type back.

Pski

The "software" players I mention can talk to SBServer and play your music through your PC(s) without buying any hardware. You just run the "software" player on the PC and then control it using the web interface to SBServer.)

B1tbull
2010-01-05, 01:57
Please post in forum only - do not send email to subscriber list
Thank you

This is strange : this post was also sent to the mail list beginners@lists.slimdevices.com
That is unusual . Can someone check this thread setup ?

funkstar
2010-01-05, 05:15
Thank you

This is strange : this post was also sent to the mail list beginners@lists.slimdevices.com
People can post either directly to the forum or through the mailing list. Some users never go near the actual forums. This is normal behaviour for the forum/list.

dmkw
2010-01-05, 06:56
Where do you want to see what's playing ?
- In which rooms ?
- Just on the remote control or on a central display in the room ?

I like the idea of the remote control, but also have the possibilty of displaying it on the HCPC.

Thanks for the other suggestions - I'll look into them further.

dmkw
2010-01-05, 07:00
You can start to play by downloading SqueezeBoxServer to either your Media Center or the WHS. Since the "main" output is connected to your Media Center, I'd suggest you put it there.

Assuming the Media Center PC can "see" the music on the WHS (via a shared drive,) you can then install SoftSqueeze or Squeezeplayer on the Media Center (after building the SBServer files) and use that computer to play your music (using the web interface) without buying ANY hardware..

Give it a try and type back.

Yes, the HCPC already has access to the music share on the WHS. I'll download the software and give it a go - Thanks.

dmkw
2010-01-05, 07:01
Thank you

I'm not sure what you're on about here - I created a new thread in the beginners forum.

dmkw
2010-01-05, 07:02
Thank you

I'm not sure what you're on about here - I created a new post in the beginners forum.

JeffHart
2010-01-06, 07:41

Is the Squeezebox Duet the best way to go in this scenario? Do I need a player of some sort in the family room, or can I still use the Media Center PC. Do I need an extra amp for the kitchen? Id be grateful for any advice and help.

You can load a software player (SqueezePlay or SqueezeSlave) on your Media Center - however - there's no way to guarantee close synchronization with other players. With the hardware players the performance characteristics of each device is well known and you can sync any of the current hardware players together - I sync my Boom with Receivers often. The software players can't evaluate their performance so synchronization will be best effort.

Good news is this all expandable - you can always try it since the software is free and if it's not synchronizing tightly add a hardware player.

Zaragon
2010-01-09, 06:48
I would add that unless you keep your media centre PC on all the time then installing the server on the WHS is likely to be a better solution as I'm assuming that the WHS is turned on 24x7.

Once you have hardware players they must have the server on in order to work. (Caveat on the touch as it has its own built in server)

The other reason for this is that either the media centre stuff and the SBS stuff essentially operate in real time and if something causes a high load on the box then the operation of both is disrupted.

dmkw
2010-01-10, 14:39
Thanks for all the replies, they've been very useful in understanding what Squeezebox can do for me. I've been playing with both Squeezeplay and Squeezeslave after installing the server s/w on my WHS as suggested. I like the server interface and the way it's accessible over the LAN via HTTP. I started playing with SP on the HCPC & the Office PC, but I was disappointed to find the sync function is broken and Logitech might not be doing any further development with it - so as I need the sync facility this is a major disappointment. Squeezeslave appears to be able to sync OK with my current hardware, there may be a very slight delay, but not that noticeable, as long as I'll be able to sync my HCPC with 2 Squeezeplayers then I'm happy.

Thanks,
Dave.