PDA

View Full Version : New capabilities in SBG



PAUL WILLIAMSON
2004-08-03, 19:38
So, with the introduction of the new display, I've got a
quick question...

How soon before the display (from the server or a plug-in)
can support some type of VU or equalizer display?

Looking forward to doing my upgrade when I get the display
in a week!

Paul

Dan Sully
2004-08-03, 19:49
* PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson (AT) mandtbank (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...

>How soon before the display (from the server or a plug-in)
>can support some type of VU or equalizer display?

patches welcome.

-D
--
<noah> the auto mechanic told me there was something wrong with my rear differential.
I told him I never took calculus.

kdf
2004-08-03, 20:04
its a feature that is already there, well in very early form. the visualiser
does exactly that. and it displays over top of the existing text. its still in
very early development, so it is not likely to make 5.3, but its just over the
horizon. right now, you need the whole cvs, look in tools/visualiser, compile
it yourself, then edit convert.conf to use vis for converting wav to wav. the
lines would be something like:
wav wav squeezebox ID (of your G-enabled player)
vis IP (of the G player)

-kdf

Quoting Dan Sully <daniel (AT) electricrain (DOT) com>:

> * PAUL WILLIAMSON <pwilliamson (AT) mandtbank (DOT) com> shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >How soon before the display (from the server or a plug-in)
> >can support some type of VU or equalizer display?
>
> patches welcome.
>
> -D
> --
> <noah> the auto mechanic told me there was something wrong with my rear
> differential.
> I told him I never took calculus.
>

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-08-04, 05:43
kdf wrote:

>its a feature that is already there, well in very early form. the visualiser
>does exactly that. and it displays over top of the existing text. its still in
>very early development, so it is not likely to make 5.3, but its just over the
>horizon. right now, you need the whole cvs, look in tools/visualiser, compile
>it yourself, then edit convert.conf to use vis for converting wav to wav. the
>lines would be something like:
>wav wav squeezebox ID (of your G-enabled player)
>vis IP (of the G player)
>
>
Does it require a SqueezeboxG or should this work with SoftSqueeze 1.0?
(I'm naturally impatient since I only just ordered my upgrade kit :) I
did give this a quick try on the Softie with a wav file, but didn't see
any immediate results.

Aside to Richard: SoftSqueeze 1.0 looks grand! Nice work!

--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFS
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com

kdf
2004-08-04, 09:57
Quoting "Roy M. Silvernail" <roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com>:

> kdf wrote:
>
> >its a feature that is already there, well in very early form. the
> visualiser
> >does exactly that. and it displays over top of the existing text. its still
> in
> >very early development, so it is not likely to make 5.3, but its just over
> the
> >horizon. right now, you need the whole cvs, look in tools/visualiser,
> compile
> >it yourself, then edit convert.conf to use vis for converting wav to wav.
> the
> >lines would be something like:
> >wav wav squeezebox ID (of your G-enabled player)
> >vis IP (of the G player)
> >
> >
> Does it require a SqueezeboxG or should this work with SoftSqueeze 1.0?
> (I'm naturally impatient since I only just ordered my upgrade kit :) I
> did give this a quick try on the Softie with a wav file, but didn't see
> any immediate results.
>
> Aside to Richard: SoftSqueeze 1.0 looks grand! Nice work!

that, I dont know. It depends on how closely Richard has emulated the
framebuffer for the display. the vis stuff is very very rough, and while I
have seen it work I have also seen it take down my whole system :) Its
definately on teh bleeding edge, with emphasis on the bright red puddles.
-kdf

rtitmuss
2004-08-04, 14:20
"Roy M. Silvernail" wrote:
> kdf wrote:
>
> >its a feature that is already there, well in very early form. the
visualiser
> >does exactly that. and it displays over top of the existing text. its
still in
> >very early development, so it is not likely to make 5.3, but its just
over the
> >horizon. right now, you need the whole cvs, look in tools/visualiser,
compile
> >it yourself, then edit convert.conf to use vis for converting wav to wav.
the
> >lines would be something like:
> >wav wav squeezebox ID (of your G-enabled player)
> >vis IP (of the G player)
> >
> >
> Does it require a SqueezeboxG or should this work with SoftSqueeze 1.0?
> (I'm naturally impatient since I only just ordered my upgrade kit :) I
> did give this a quick try on the Softie with a wav file, but didn't see
> any immediate results.

The short answer is no, at the moment the visualiser won't work with
Softsqueeze. I'll post the long answer on the developers list as it requires
a degree of hackery to get it working at the moment ;)

> Aside to Richard: SoftSqueeze 1.0 looks grand! Nice work!

Thanks. Graham's done an excellent job yet again on the skins :)

Regards,
Richard

kdf
2004-08-04, 14:41
Quoting Richard Titmuss <richard_titmuss (AT) yahoo (DOT) co.uk>:

> "Roy M. Silvernail" wrote:
> > kdf wrote:
> >
> > >its a feature that is already there, well in very early form. the
> visualiser
> > >does exactly that. and it displays over top of the existing text. its
> still in
> > >very early development, so it is not likely to make 5.3, but its just
> over the
> > >horizon. right now, you need the whole cvs, look in tools/visualiser,
> compile
> > >it yourself, then edit convert.conf to use vis for converting wav to wav.
> the
> > >lines would be something like:
> > >wav wav squeezebox ID (of your G-enabled player)
> > >vis IP (of the G player)
> > >
> > >
> > Does it require a SqueezeboxG or should this work with SoftSqueeze 1.0?
> > (I'm naturally impatient since I only just ordered my upgrade kit :) I
> > did give this a quick try on the Softie with a wav file, but didn't see
> > any immediate results.
>
> The short answer is no, at the moment the visualiser won't work with
> Softsqueeze. I'll post the long answer on the developers list as it requires
> a degree of hackery to get it working at the moment ;)

heh, no kidding. takes hackery to work in hardware too. I'm already regretting
mentioning it. I guess idealism took over, assuming that letting people know
about it owuld mean it might excite someone into doing soe work to make some
progress on it while freeing Dean and Vidur to work on more pressing issues. I
really hope this doesnt degenerate into 'gimme gimme'. It would be a real
disservice if graphics wholly took over from everything else that could use a
bit of improvement. However, the vis is really the major departure in regards
to graphics. SBG is basically the same in feature as the SB, but with nicer
fonts :) The huge changes so far, are not really visible otherwise. Dean et
al, have made big changes to this point. I just hope I haven't opened the door
to more people ranting and dumping on what is really a great product, both old
and upgraded.

-kdf

Daryle A. Tilroe
2004-08-04, 18:03
kdf wrote:

> about it owuld mean it might excite someone into doing soe work to make some
> progress on it while freeing Dean and Vidur to work on more pressing issues. I
> really hope this doesnt degenerate into 'gimme gimme'. It would be a real
> disservice if graphics wholly took over from everything else that could use a
> bit of improvement. However, the vis is really the major departure in regards
> to graphics. SBG is basically the same in feature as the SB, but with nicer
> fonts :)

Now that the legibility of the display, particularly with respect to
large fonts, has been addressed IMHO visualizations should be way, way
down the list of priorities. Eye candy at best and a waste of
bandwidth and processing power at worst. I mean how often do you
really need a spectrum display or some other distracting crud on
your squeezebox? It should be about music first; thus bug fixes,
rock solid stability, bandwidth related enhancements (such as native
FLAC), and more streaming options (such as RealAudio) should be the
priority. Just my 2 cents as a 2 going on 3 squeezebox owner.

--
Daryle A. Tilroe

Jack Coates
2004-08-04, 23:00
> What is the point of the enhanced display if it won't be used for this
> "worthless eye candy" that you are ranting about?
>

er, to sell more units.

I won't say worthless, but I do think that more varied music support is
more important than visualization... until there's a color LCD projector
option, at which point visualization jumps to the front of the line.
--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for
themselves." -- Top Dog hotdog stand, Berkeley, CA

kdf
2004-08-04, 23:26
I know we're all having fun trading off speculation, but here is something that
has been meniioned before, and probably bears a great amount of repeating...

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/tiki-index.php?page=SoftwareRoadmap

so aside from constantly improving hardware (which needs software support) in
order keep sales going, it would seem there is a rather well defined set of
goals for the software. of course, the software only moves as fast as the
community propels it. Any interested parties, please apply on the developers
list. All comers welcome, and Dean will personally give you a hug.

-kdf