PDA

View Full Version : Mew Version of Transporter ?

DejanM
2010-01-02, 03:06
Hi,

I am very curious whether Logitech planned to develop a new version of the Transporter unit ? Something that will be capable of reading native 24/192 with even better output stage ?

Teus de Jong
2010-01-02, 03:47
Many have already answered that question with: most unlikely. Not only is Slim Devices now a part of Logitech, but also many high end audio makers are marketing high end network devices. I hope the current transporter will stay in production; several people have even their doubts about that.

Teus

Mnyb
2010-01-02, 03:59
if you use the search function and you will find many treads where this is debated.
And also the 192k vs 96k question is rehashed many times over.

rbz5416
2010-01-02, 04:24
Sadly I suspect that the Squeezebox will go the way of the mobile phone. Those that want a high quality device to do the basic job of serving high quality audio will be abandoned in favour of da yoof. So expect a device with a (poor) camera & the ability to enter text into Twatter rather than anything else at the top end.

bhaagensen
2010-01-02, 05:56
As others have said - probably rather unlikely. In a way its time has passed. It was a truly unique and remarkable offering when it came into existence. Today there are many other high quality solutions.

And as customers our position is stronger as we can now more freely combine transports, or more generally content providers such as a Squeezebox Touch with a high-quality converter from some of the many established manufacturers of high quality stereo equipment.

JJZolx
2010-01-02, 11:59
Not a chance in a billion.

pfarrell
2010-01-02, 12:33
JJZolx wrote:
> Not a chance in a billion.

Pessimist. I say its more like one in a million. Still pretty low.

--

JJZolx
2010-01-02, 12:47
I was just looking at another of the many networked A/V player coming onto the market every day:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Play-Media-Player-Black/dp/B002MCZJ3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262460507&sr=1-1

For $100 it plays video from a hard drive or network storage, plus FLAC, Ogg, WAV, Mp3, etc.

I believe Logitech is moving away from audio-only players completely. They have to be - they're being left in the dust by their competition in the consumer market. Witness the two or three developers that they've left to finish the Touch software. Obviously Touch is a relatively low priority release at this point. I'd be somewhat surprised if we saw another audio-only player from Logitech.

peterw
2010-01-02, 13:18
I believe Logitech is moving away from audio-only players completely. ... Witness the two or three developers that they've left to finish the Touch software. Obviously Touch is a relatively low priority release at this point.

I wonder if anyone at Logitech wishes they'd written a proprietary ui+playback app and used Android instead of building their own Linux distro. ISTM they've spent a lot of money (by Slim Devices standards) on SqueezePlay/SqueezeOS. Some of the non-core high-(marketing)-value features like Facebook would have been free with Android.

audiomuze
2010-01-02, 13:30
I believe Logitech is moving away from audio-only players completely. They have to be - they're being left in the dust by their competition in the consumer market. Witness the two or three developers that they've left to finish the Touch software. Obviously Touch is a relatively low priority release at this point. I'd be somewhat surprised if we saw another audio-only player from Logitech.Then they'll fail miserably - what possible USP could they have in the converged space? If they think SBS is a differentiator they're smoking some pretty good weed. Whilst it's better than its current competition in what it offers for the audio space, whatever is done other than via Jive is immediately available for others to utilise. In short, whether they offer mass-market audio or attempt to play in the convergence space they're screwed. From Logitech's perspective I'd say the acquisition of SD was an error in strategic thinking, the product set (in its current form) doesn't sit well in the mass market space and Logitech have no USP in the convergence space.

DejanM
2010-01-03, 00:30
First of all, sorry for not using search capability of the forum. I didn't know that this subject has been already discussed in a such a detail ...

Anyway, a couple of comments from my side ... i really do not know whether buying SD by Logitech was a good strategic move or not - to judge that we need revenue and profit numbers, which we do not have. I do believe though that SD/Logitech has to defend their position on the market. I do not believe they can do that by simply leaving it. Although, that is also one possibility ...

Transporter was and still partially is, very interesting product. It is not coming from the Hi End brand, but it was fairly priced, with a nice set of features. I believe that SD could improve Transporter market share by adding some new features (video, why not ?!) and also by improving the already existing ones (for example to implement 24/192 native reading). Fairly priced and with improved audio performance this can be a great contender.

The other issue is "proprietary" server software, which may be an issue when it comes to integration with the products from other vendors. Although the most important one is supported (Apple iTunes) still there are not covered areas: DLNA, UPnP, ...

I still believe though that Transporter is a unique product on the market with the great potential of beeing even better.

rbz5416
2010-01-03, 02:01
I'd love a Transporter but two things stop me.

First is the UK price. I've heard numerous excuses as to why the UK must pay a premium price for Logitech (& many other)products but the Transporter takes this the the level of a pure & simple rip-off. I've just checked pricing & the US price is $2,000. At todays's currency rates that should give a UK price of around 1,240. What is the actual UK price? - 1,800! A nearly 50% premium! Fairly priced? - not over here it's not. :(

And then there's the software. There's no way I'm going to be shelling out that sort of money for a product that forces me to use Logitech's proprietary software when audio functionality is obviously such a low priority.

JJZolx
2010-01-03, 02:14
And then there's the software. There's no way I'm going to be shelling out that sort of money for a product that forces me to use Logitech's proprietary software

I guess that rules out all Squeezeboxes for you. What software do you want to use, and how do you propose it be interfaced with a Squeezebox?

when audio functionality is obviously such a low priority.

Huh?

browellm
2010-01-03, 05:46
I'd love a Transporter but two things stop me.

First is the UK price. I've heard numerous excuses as to why the UK must pay a premium price for Logitech (& many other)products but the Transporter takes this the the level of a pure & simple rip-off. I've just checked pricing & the US price is $2,000. At todays's currency rates that should give a UK price of around 1,240. What is the actual UK price? - 1,800! A nearly 50% premium! Fairly priced? - not over here it's not. :(

And then there's the software. There's no way I'm going to be shelling out that sort of money for a product that forces me to use Logitech's proprietary software when audio functionality is obviously such a low priority.

Fella, you really need to learn how to use google, or something.

This took me about 20 seconds to find 1,299, I'm positive I could do better in half an hour.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3229

badlyread
2010-01-03, 08:20

This took me about 20 seconds to find 1,299, I'm positive I could do better in half an hour.

I bought a brand new, boxed black Transporter for 900 a month ago form the US. No problems, no issues. And yes, it does sound fantastic! PM if you want more details.

bluegaspode
2010-01-03, 08:32

And if you then realize that 2000$ is without VAT this is really cheap compared to US prices