PDA

View Full Version : Tone Controls missing on $200 Radio?

John Carmac
2010-01-01, 15:25
As a gaming software developer I understand the labor involved in trying to please a thousand different customers but I do have a strong suggestion to the SquezzeBox Radio developers to PLEASE INCLUDE SOME TONE CONTROLS (JUST A TREBLE AND BASS CONTROL) FOR THE SB Radio. I am a big fan of the Texas Radio Network talk program by Charley Jones and his voice is just way to BOOMY on the SB Radio late at night on my nightstand.

Please let us know if bass & treble controls will be included in future firmware or I will just buy another SB Boom (which has tone control) for my nightstand. Thanks for your fabulous product and keep up the good work.

John Carmack

Zoltan
2010-01-01, 15:31
It's not clear whether your complaint is lack of physical tone control knobs or just the ability to adjust the tone. If the latter, then this ought to be possible via the Settings menu. I'm not familiar with the Radio but I'm guessing it is similar to the Boom in this regard.

[Edit: oops sorry - just re-read what you said and you mentioned firmware, so it sounds like it is a real omission. I would agree with you that this needs rectifying if that's the case.]

John Carmac
2010-01-01, 15:36
My concern is not that of physical tone controls for treble and bass, but alas for any control of the tone albeit the treble and the bass. Since you are not familiar with the SB Radio I would prefer you not opine your lack of knowledge in this forum Mr. Zoltron. Thank you.

kdf
2010-01-01, 16:04
1) May I suggest that before trying to tell other users when or when not to post, that you consider that cross-posting is much more strongly discouraged than posting information that isn't based on complete expert knowledge.

2) As a software developer, I'm sure you can respect that there is a process for design changes and requests from users. As suggested in response to your other post, please file a request on bugs.slimdevices.com so that it can be registered and voted for. Currently, tone controls do not exist on any of the squeezeplay-based players. I vaguely recall Caleb mentioning doing some work on this at some point during the beta phase, but I don't know where he has now ended up during the recent restructuring. He may no longer be involved with the hardware/dsp.

cheers,
kdf

Zoltan
2010-01-01, 16:07
My concern is not that of physical tone controls for treble and bass, but alas for any control of the tone albeit the treble and the bass. Since you are not familiar with the SB Radio I would prefer you not opine your lack of knowledge in this forum Mr. Zolgetatan. Thank you.

Sorry you feel that way Mr. Carmac. I admit that I did not read your original post carefully enough and if I had I would not have replied but it was nevertheless a genuine attempt to help. I would suggest that if you are in the habit of being so rude you might not get much help here.

John Carmac
2010-01-01, 16:30
Now we have two fools albeit raised in the 90's who think that posting incorrect information is fine as long they made "a genuine effort to help". This feel good attitude is a big part of the problem in the US today. Sorry to offend your misguided self esteems but Mr. KUDF is also wrong stating that tone controls do NOT exist on SB products. Just check the audio setting on the SB Boom.

The SB Radio is a breakthrough product which would find a much larger audience with the inclusion of simple tone controls.

kdf
2010-01-01, 16:41
On 2010-01-01, at 3:30 PM, John Carmac wrote:

>
> Now we have two fools albeit raised in the 90's who think that posting
> incorrect information is fine as long they made "a genuine effort to
> help". This feel good attitude is a big part of the problem in the US
> today. Sorry to offend your misguided self esteems but Mr. KUDF is also
> wrong stating that tone controls do NOT exist on SB products.

Dear Mr Carmac(k),

Please re-read my post. I spoke of squeezeplay-based players. These include the Radio, upcoming Touch and the Controller which are all built upon a custom linux os with the UI software layer called squeezeplay. Boom is an ip3k-based player, a lower-powered microcontroller where the UI is delivered via a VFD instead of the lcd. The UI is entirely driven by the perl code within the SB Server software.

Oh, and there is no u in my username.

You now have all the information that you need, whether you choose to believe it or not.

cheers,
Kevin

pippin
2010-01-01, 16:44
Now we have two fools albeit raised in the 90's who think that posting incorrect information is fine as long they made "a genuine effort to help". This feel good attitude is a big part of the problem in the US today. Sorry to offend your misguided self esteems but Mr. KUDF is also wrong stating that tone controls do NOT exist on SB products. Just check the audio setting on the SB Boom.

Mr KDF knows his Squeezeboxes very well. Much better than you do. I suggest you re-read his post before making inaccurate statements about "feel-good" attitudes. Maybe a relaxed attitude towards spending effort to understand what people talk about who want to help is also part of the problem here.

KDF's statement is correct, yours is not.

Edit: oops, he was faster than me...

John Carmac
2010-01-01, 16:59
Once again the reply has nothing to do with the problem at hand, albeit the lack of SIMPLE TONE CONTROLS ON THE SB RADIO. It looks like the SB fans are like Apple fanboys who praise anything Sir Steve says.

Back to the Point at hand, do you think that tone controls on the SB Radio would be useful feature? or am I just a lost soul in the ether who is requesting something unreasonable.

GAFL and stop the fanboy attitude. Logitech expects more.

pippin
2010-01-01, 17:08
No fun trying to help people who believe they just want to insult you in return.
You may call that fanboy behavior I won't tell you how I would call your behavior.

Have fun with yourself.

*ploink*

Zoltan
2010-01-01, 17:09
Now we have two fools albeit raised in the 90's who think that posting incorrect information is fine as long they made "a genuine effort to help".

If I am a fool, then at least I am a fool who can write intelligible sentences.

This feel good attitude is a big part of the problem in the US today.

I suspect people such as yourself are a bigger part of the problem.

mlsstl
2010-01-01, 17:58
John Carmac wrote:
Back to the Point at hand, do you think that tone controls on the SB Radio would be useful feature? or am I just a lost soul in the ether who is requesting something unreasonable.

You've already been given the correct info. Submit a bug report to https://bugs.slimdevices.com/. That'll get it logged and it will receive an official look by the powers-that-be at Logitech.

kdf
2010-01-01, 18:58
On 2010-01-01, at 3:59 PM, John Carmac wrote:

> Logitech expects more.
>
I can tell you with certainty that what they expect from anyone with a feature request (or to register a complaint regarding a missing feature) is to file a bug report with severity set as "enhancement" (in case you need that url again, it's http://bugs.slimdevices.com). Others can then voice their support by voting. It's a very simple thing to do and any plan to implement it will be noted in the report and you will get an email informing you of the progress (if there is any). Some get implemented, some don't, but they all eventually get reviewed by official Logitech employees who can make official decisions on whether or not a feature request becomes a requirement. If anyone thought it was utterly unreasonable, there probably wouldn't be the suggestion to make an official request for the feature through bugzilla.

While I do agree that tone controls are desirable in some form or another, I'm more in favour of a 5-band eq to give more control instead of limiting to simple treble/bass. I don't, however, personally see it as a huge priority as I don't use the Radio in a place where I care for critical listening. I have it in the kitchen, so it simply has to exist as background music and compete on a very simple level with exhaust fans and food-sizzling. My nightstand has a Boom, and even that is so often played at low levels that I don't get much value from adjusting the controls. I have another boom in the living room with a sub attached. I get all the bass I need and more that way.

To answer one of your original questions directly: you are better off buying yourself another Boom if treble/bass controls are important to you in the near term.

If you want to know for certain that tone controls will be added to the Radio, Touch etc, I expect you will be disappointed with any response in the forum. The active developers do read posts, and respond from time to time when they have the spare time to do so, but they are careful never to promise anything that isn't in their immediate task list. I did already mention that Caleb may have had it on his list, but anyone working on the squeezebox products as a paid employee is working 100% on the upcoming Touch product. I haven't seen any posts from Caleb in a long time now. If tone controls are not in the official requirements for the Touch (and I see nothing that has said they are), they won't be happening for the Radio at least until the Touch is released (last posting from andyg said at least Late Feb for that and some posts have claimed that sales reps are saying it is even later).

-kdf

John Carmac
2010-01-01, 19:17
Mr. KUFD, neither I nor the majority of the SB Radio prospective buyers really care that your SB Radio completes with the background din of blenders in your kitchen. When we the hard working hacks like myself shell out $200 smacks for a damn radio we expect it too sound good in the study too.

The market for the SB Radio is 1000x the market for the SB touch. Therefore ignoring a fundamental tone controls on the bread and butter product (SB Radio) in favor of the 0.1% of the market for the Touch is very short sided.

pippin
2010-01-01, 19:26
PLEASE.
Don't.Feed.The.Trolls.
Let the OP f... himself, it's fine, just ignore it.

Mitch Harding
2010-01-01, 19:28
Just sounds like a troll to me. He's been given all of the
information he needs. It's up to him if he wants to use it or not.

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 8:22 PM, brucegrr
<brucegrr.4453q01262399042 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> All I can say is wow. Either the original poster is off his meds or he
> is one mean spirited, nasty _________________.
>
>
> --
> brucegrr
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> brucegrr's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3964
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73389
>
>