PDA

View Full Version : Playing through PC speakers....help!

NormCash
2009-12-30, 07:51
OK, it may be a reaction to all the turkey I've devoured over the past week, but I seem to be having a bit of a brain fart with something that should (I would think) be fairly straight-forward.

We're having friends round tomorrow night for New Year, and I want to play music through both my living room hi-fi (where my Squeezebox lives) and my computers speakers (in a separate room) at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get anything to come out of my computer! Can the Squeezebox software be set to play through the PC in addition to streaming to my hi-fi?

garym
2009-12-30, 08:03
OK, it may be a reaction to all the turkey I've devoured over the past week, but I seem to be having a bit of a brain fart with something that should (I would think) be fairly straight-forward.

We're having friends round tomorrow night for New Year, and I want to play music through both my living room hi-fi (where my Squeezebox lives) and my computers speakers (in a separate room) at the same time. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get anything to come out of my computer! Can the Squeezebox software be set to play through the PC in addition to streaming to my hi-fi?

Download Squeezeplay for a computer based software player (emulates in many ways a hardware SB). Unfortunately, the current version of Squeezeplay will NOT work if you are synching two or more players. You might try to find a copy of SOFTSQUEEZE (it was the software player that came with the 7.3.x versions of the server. It may work with sync. Search this forum on both these names and you'll eventually find download locations. I don't recall them at the moment.

avta
2009-12-30, 08:06
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

tcutting
2009-12-30, 09:11
You could try Squeezeslave. It's a command line player (no user interface). It's nice because it doesn't use much of the computer's resources... you can run it, and then use whatever UI you normally use to control it (you can access via your Web interface to Squeezebox Server, or if you have Controller you can use that).
Be aware, however, that synchronization between a "hardware" player and a software player such as squeezeslave, softsqueeze or Squeezeplay is not perfect. I would hope that someday Squeezeplay would provide decent synchronization, but right now I believe it won't play at all synchronized to a hardware player!
Here's a link to the current thread about Squeezeslave - it's a third-party app that is currently being supported by "ralphy".
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63966&highlight=squeezeslave

NormCash
2009-12-30, 10:15
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'll give them a try!

maggior
2009-12-30, 10:48
It wasn't a reaction to the turkey afterall :-).

All of the suggestions will work. Personally, I use squeezeslave to play music from my server.

As somebody else noted - the sync between hardware and software players isn't perfect. As long as there is good isolation between the 2 listening areas, it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise you will hear an echo due to them being out of sync.