PDA

View Full Version : classic or duet?

karlosmaximos
2009-12-28, 13:23
hi all
im new to media streaming so on the lookout for a bit of advice,hence the title of the post
im intending to use a readynas duo on my home network to stream mp3 around the house to my stereo system
is there any difference in either of the above,and does one/both work better with the readynas duo?
thanks and happy new year!
:-)
karl

garym
2009-12-28, 13:53
either will work equally well with readynas duo. I have both and a readynas duo. (however, I'm no longer trying to run the SqueezeboxServer software off my readynas. Simply too slow with my large library of tracks (> 60,000+). Readynas works fine, just a sluggish interface and very slow scanning when setting up. I suspect with 5 or 10 thousand tracks it would be just fine.

The benefit of the duet is the wireless controller, which will also control any other SB product.

aubuti
2009-12-28, 14:31
The benefit of the duet is the wireless controller, which will also control any other SB product.
Correct. The negative of the SB Controller is that many users do not find it sufficiently reliable, often because of problems with their wifi networks. My SBCs generally work fine, but no guarantees yours will.

The benefit of the SB3/Classic is that you can use the infrared remote to control it. Much simpler, but not as pretty as the LCD screen on the SBC. You also have to have line-of-sight with the Classic. The infrared remote works with all SB devices *except* the SB Duet Receiver (SBR).

My suggestion is to get a Classic. Later on you can get the SB Controller if you want.

usch
2009-12-28, 16:04
Given the current pricing, I can't see why anybody would want to buy a Receiver (no display, fiddly setup, no IR remote) when you can get a Classic for about the same money. I think I even recall someone saying that the Classic has better DACs.

I'd go for a Classic, or for a Classic plus a Controller if you need to control the player from a different room.

pski
2009-12-28, 16:16
I have both.

If you are in the vicinity of the unit when listening, I'd go for the Classic.

I'm using Receivers on the stereo's that are sync'ed (which I use mostly with the web UI.)

Also, the "ABC" select on the Classic IR remote makes it much faster to navigate your library (than the Controller..)

Eg. Start playing on the Classic in the BR during shower; take over the whole shebang from the web UI when I settle in to work..

P

eganders
2009-12-28, 16:55
I'd only add, if you weren't already up to speed on it, that the Touch is coming quite soon. The Touch is the "new" version of the Classic /w an LCD screen and some more native capability, though some might not think it has the elegant styling of the Classic.

However, the Touch is running late. It might not be available for another 60 days or so. Also, as a brand new item, the Touch will probably have some growing pains, though those who are beta testing generally seem quite pleased.

Ikabob
2009-12-28, 17:03
Classic plus itouch/ ipeng. Very reliable ... Can use IR remote or ipeng. Has readout for information regarding selections. Extra bonus is you have an itouch which you can then spend way too much time checking the forums, checking for bargains for more Squeezeboxes to fill up your home, can connect to some free music services to configure as well as some paid services ( Rhapsody). I personally am glad I chose the SB3 & ipeng. MHO. No matter which way you go , you are going to LOVE the SB system.... It is awesome sound, functionality and forum help. The functionality is constantly improving.

The world will be your oyster!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

arztde
2009-12-28, 18:16
Classic plus itouch/ ipeng. Very reliable ... Can use IR remote or ipeng. Has readout for information regarding selections. Extra bonus is you have an itouch which you can then spend way too much time checking the forums, checking for bargains for more Squeezeboxes to fill up your home, can connect to some free music services to configure as well as some paid services ( Rhapsody). I personally am glad I chose the SB3 & ipeng. MHO. No matter which way you go , you are going to LOVE the SB system.... It is awesome sound, functionality and forum help. The functionality is constantly improving.

The world will be your oyster!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The Duet was my first Squeezebox. I have now 2 additional SB3 Classic and as long you can get a SB3 Classic, also before you getone of the new models, like touch or the radio. The Display of the SB3 is the best what ever i saw. Themost that have a Duet take I-Peng as remote. I use with Windows mobile SlimControl as remote because it match more my needs and a WinMobile i get for low price of 30 Euros used at ebay. I decide for the Blue Angel, because it have a Cradle include.
If you choose the Classic and for Wlan remote Slimcontrol feel free to contact me for some tip how to tune it.
Anyways for Androit exists also a remote.

karlosmaximos
2009-12-29, 08:07
Thanks everyone.
My ReadyNas will have over 3000 albums on it, and so the ease of use is more important than a remote with the lcd screen.
I'd probably use it more in my dining/kitchen area and not from room to room, so being in line of sight to operate the unit doesnt seem to be an issue?
Will one classic remote run 2 receivers if they are synced(if im making sence?)

garym
2009-12-29, 08:09
Thanks everyone.
Will one classic remote run 2 receivers if they are synced(if im making sence?)

Yes, if your players are synched, when you use the regular remote to change something on the "parent" machine, all the synched players will also change.