PDA

View Full Version : Cygwin1.dll (multiple copies)

wobbly
2009-12-25, 10:55
I think (not completely sure) that I am having a problem with multiple cygwin1.dll on my Windows 7 install.

I always have a full copy of Cygwin on any windows machine that I use. I am a Unix/Linux/BSD developer at heart, so I cannot tolerate living with the DOS shell. No way.

So today I installed SS 7.4.1 and I am seeing "Possible software conflict found" in the control panel status dialog box under 'Alerts'.

Also, if I start the server as a user, it runs fine, but I cannot get it to start as a service during system boot. Very frustration, as this worked fine under Windows XP. I think it was a Perl install there, with no update in a long (long) time.

Are you required to set up a my.squeezenetwork.com to run the server as a service? If so, that is rude. I unticked all of iTunes, software update, and any other item that had the words squeezenetwork in it.

I am a long term squeezebox owner and booster, but I feel the product moved to a different place. (Original Squeezebox and Squeezebox 2)

toby10
2009-12-26, 04:14
........Are you required to set up a my.squeezenetwork.com to run the server as a service? If so, that is rude. I unticked all of iTunes, software update, and any other item that had the words squeezenetwork in it.......

I can't see where MySqueezeBox.com and/or SqueezeNetwork would have anything to do with running SBS as a service on a computer, so I'd concentrate my efforts elsewhere.
I can't help you much beyond that, but I doubt that is your issue.

wobbly
2009-12-28, 10:28
I uninstalled Squeezebox server, rebooted, reinstalled, and attempted the 'start on system start' setup again. This time it worked.

I probably should have just rebooted no that I think about it. The reboot would have cleared out the existing cygwin1.dll from Windows, so that Squeezebox Server would no longer have that .dll conflict.

I am leaving it alone for the next couple of days, no need for a 'bash' shell right now. I am going to try that over the long weekend coming up and see if the conflict reappears.

Does anyone know which cygwin1.dll that the current Squeezebox Serer is using?

Thanks

bpa
2009-12-28, 11:18
Check the properties of the dll in the server/Bin/MSwin32 .... directory for the version of dll.

As long as there is a cygwin1.dll on the path - SBS doesn't care where it comes from. It is used by some transcoding apps and also one of my plugins CDplayer.

wobbly
2009-12-30, 08:59
I'll give that a try, that is, removing the SBS copy of cygwin1.dll in favor of the standard cygwin install version.

There are conflicts that occur if one version is the old 1.5 variant and you have moved forward to 1.7, which is true if you are running Windows 7 since 1.5 was not supported on windows 7. Hopefully (for me) SBS is running the latest version of the DLL, or at least not taking advantage of non-compatible features.

I plan to spend part of the New Year weekend sorting out these issues as well as getting 'wake on lan' working. (that is a separate topic :-)