PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait any longer........

colantra
2009-12-23, 06:05
Depsite having a pre-order in the system for a Touch, I've found myself really aching to get some streamed music into my lounge for Christmas and March/April or whenever just seems too far away! So last night I went to our local PC World and lo and behold found an SB3 on the shelf, so I grabbed that, took it home and had music playing over my stereo within 10 minutes of getting it out of the box - big smiles all around :)

Just need to borrow one of the kids iPod touches now and download iPeng so I can view all the artwork as well.

No doubt I'll need some help with things as I go forward, but very pleased so far....

tcutting
2009-12-23, 10:00
Welcome!
The SB3 is a fine player, and is a great starting point. What are you using as a server?
I'm sure you'll find some place for the Touch when it becomes available (and a Radio, and a .....)

maggior
2009-12-23, 10:35
Yes, the SB3 in indeed a great player. It's rock solid and sounds great.

And this way you will avoid the growing pains of the Touch, assuming that there will be some.

colantra
2009-12-24, 03:53
Welcome!
The SB3 is a fine player, and is a great starting point. What are you using as a server?
I'm sure you'll find some place for the Touch when it becomes available (and a Radio, and a .....)

I've got all my music on a ReadyNas Duo. Despite some trepidation over the performance of this before I bought it, I've found it fine and it certainly works well with the SB3.

badlyread
2009-12-24, 12:52
Depending on your system, you should be thinking of an external DAC at some point. May I recommend the Beresford Caiman or Cambridge Audio DACMagic if on a budget and the Naim DAC if not.

Enjoy the music.

Neil

NewBuyer
2009-12-26, 23:30
...you should be thinking of an external DAC at some point. May I recommend...

Well, since the OP already has a Touch on pre-order: Perhaps waiting to see how the Touch sounds first, before considering any external DACs, would be worthwhile. :)

sebp
2009-12-28, 14:45
Well, since the OP already has a Touch on pre-order: Perhaps waiting to see how the Touch sounds first, before considering any external DACs, would be worthwhile. :)
Agree. The Touch sounds amazingly good as is.

colantra
2009-12-29, 13:46
Agree. The Touch sounds amazingly good as is.

Is there a big difference between the Classic and the Touch then, as I'm finding the Classic sounds pretty good?

Keymaster
2009-12-29, 14:14
Touch = 24/96 native and apparently S/PDIF is implemented a bit better (but there are others who could probably speak better to that than I)

...for starters.... :)

JohnSwenson
2009-12-29, 16:20
Is there a big difference between the Classic and the Touch then, as I'm finding the Classic sounds pretty good?

As far as what I hear on my system the analog out from the Touch are much better than the SB3. The S/PDIF out is also much better.

With an SB3 the digital out going to a very good external DAC sounds way better than the its analog outs, with the touch the output from the external DAC is significantly better, but the real kicker is that the Touch analog out sounds almost as good as the out from the external DAC (signal coming from the Touch). The analog outs from the Touch actually sounded better than the out from the external DAC fed by an SB3!

Of course YMMV, different DACs sound different, different systems are sound different, different people listen for different things.

Someone else did a similar test and could find very little difference in the analog out but did find significant improvement driving an external DAC. So there is no hard and fast here.

But at least for ME in my system, the analog from the Touch was way better than the analog out from the SB3.

John S.

Robert_W
2009-12-29, 18:12
So did I miss something? Like a release date? Where are you guys getting these things already?

RadioClash
2009-12-29, 20:11
I can't wait for the Touch either. My old SB2, which I haven't used for ages, sounds like doo-doo compared with my CD player running through the same external DAC as the squeeze (PS Audio Link III)

aubuti
2009-12-29, 22:16
So did I miss something? Like a release date? Where are you guys getting these things already?
Some of the people posting are beta testers for the SB Touch. It still hasn't been released yet because there is still a fair bit of work needed on the software. The latest line on the product release is not before February.