PDA

View Full Version : Accessing files from a NAS

paltomare
2009-12-21, 18:08
Would it be possible to have the Touch access files from a NAS such as the QNAP 219P without a computer in the loop? SB devices are not listed as a compatible media players on the QNAP website but the 219P does come with TwonkyMedia Server.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=127

andyg
2009-12-21, 18:37
Accessing files from a remote NAS is not supported on Touch. Run SBS on the NAS if you want to do that.

agillis
2009-12-21, 19:27
You need a NAS that runs SqueezeBox Server like VortexBox.

paltomare
2009-12-21, 20:54
Accessing files from a remote NAS is not supported on Touch. Run SBS on the NAS if you want to do that.

Thanks, I'll need to find out if I can run SBS on the Qnap or see if the Qnap will allow me to use its USB port to connect to the Touch.

paltomare
2009-12-21, 20:57
You need a NAS that runs SqueezeBox Server like VortexBox.

Cool device, I need to have a Raid 1 NAS thouch, can't afford to lose my files.

agillis
2009-12-21, 21:21

The best option is to backup your files on a second drive that is not connected to anything. This way you won't lose data in a lightning strike like you would with RAID 1.

VortexBox does support RAID1 inf you want to build your own box.

iPhone
2009-12-21, 21:22

I agree that most of us can't afford to lose the songs we ripped but RAID is not the answer.

RAID is over rated in these days of cheap large USB hard drives. I used to have RAID for my huge music collection, now I have everything backed up on large USB drives. One set on site and one set at my parents house. What good is RAID if your PC gets hit by lightening or catches on fire. Both sets of data are toast in the same PC. RAID is for Banks and other companies that have to have instant record backup and hot swap capability. A music collection is not critical data that has to be accessed immediately, it will not kill anybody (not even me) to have to replace a drive and copy files off a USB drive to get back to listening to music.

Besides, with a Touch and a Vortexbox and a large USB hard drive most people will have all the space and backup they need. Two TBs is room for a bunch of music. Its cheaper and better data protection.

pfarrell
2009-12-21, 21:25
iPhone wrote:
> RAID is over rated in these days of cheap large USB drives.....it will not kill anybody (not even me) to have to
> replace a drive and copy files off a USB drive to get back to listening
> to music.

I assume that here you mean USB hard drive, say one TeraByte or so,
available for under $200 at any BestBuy.

Not a USB thumb drive, I think they are still expensive to back up 500
MB or so of flac files.

And to further the proper meme, RAID is not backup. Period.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

paltomare
2009-12-21, 22:09
I agree that most of us can't afford to lose the songs we ripped but RAID is not the answer.

RAID is over rated in these days of cheap large USB drives. I used to have RAID for my huge music collection, now I have everything backed up on large USB drives. One set on site and one set at my parents house. What good is RAID if your PC gets hit by lightening or catches on fire. Both sets of data are toast in the same PC. RAID is for Banks and other companies that have to have instant record backup and hot swap capability. A music collection is not critical data that has to be accessed immediately, it will not kill anybody (not even me) to have to replace a drive and copy files off a USB drive to get back to listening to music.

Besides, with a Touch and a Vortexbox and a large USB drive most people will have all the space and backup they need. Two TBs is room for a bunch of music. Its cheaper and better data protection.

Okay, I see your point. Perhaps if I list my basic requirements you could offer a better solution.

Min 1.5TB, expandable.
Some form of automatic backup not running through my computer
File access from a Touch.
File access from a video server such as a Popcorn Hour.
Freedom from having to keep my computer running to listen to music.
File access from networked computers.

iPhone
2009-12-21, 23:02
Okay, I see your point. Perhaps if I list my basic requirements you could offer a better solution.

Min 1.5TB, expandable.
Some form of automatic backup not running through my computer
File access from a Touch.
File access from a video server such as a Popcorn Hour.
Freedom from having to keep my computer running to listen to music.
File access from networked computers.

Well I guess it depends on how much freedom one wants. One doesn't need a PC/Server running if one only listens to Internet source material. If one wants local file access, that means a PC/Server at this time (or pay storage services, no thanks). The Touch will run TinySC (no WebUI SBS) and can read USB Hard Drives, so a Touch with a larger USB hard drive could be used without needing a PC/Server to be on. No Movies from this plan as Touch only does Audio.

Depending on how much video serving one is going to be doing, it might really be better to have a Server to do both anyway. It costs about $25 a year to run a Vortexbox 24/7/365 and it will Server Video, be the SBS Music Server, and rip ones CDs all in one. Not bad for around $485 for 2TB of storage (about 3000 CDs and 250 Movies). Buy a USB Hard Drive(s) and do weekly backups or after ripping 20 CDs (whatever kind of schedule one wants depending on ones level of paranoia). It doesn't take to long to rip CDs anymore so I backup after every 10 to 25 new rips. Worst case I have to re-rip a few CDs. Once a month I do a full backup to USB hard drives and swap out the drives at my parent's house and then backup the ones I brought home when I get home and all is current: Server always, USB hard drives from parent's home, and USB hard drives taken to parent's home.

I learned the hard way. I have ripped my collection three times and will never have to ever do that again as I have true secure real backup both on and off site. I even keep a DVD-DL archive in a gun safe to be completely sure. Of course I don't have the "Normal" or "Usual" average size CD Collection so I would shoot myself first before having to re-rip the whole Collection ever again (no reading between the lines, I WILL NOT re-rip my CD Collection a fourth time!).

And as Pat echoed, RAID is not backup. It just makes some people sleep better at night "Thinking" they have backup. Sure it can cover you if one drive just up and dies, but if something really happens, you're not really covered. Better to be actually backed up on drives that are not part of ones server and more importantly powered down and away from the Server that has something happen to it. Period. That is real backup.

mherger
2009-12-22, 01:24
> Freedom from having to keep my computer running to listen to music.

A NAS is a computer. They just don't tell you.

--

Michael

leshark
2010-01-12, 05:36

RAID is over rated in these days of cheap large USB hard drives. I used to have RAID for my huge music collection, now I have everything backed up on large USB drives. One set on site and one set at my parents house. What good is RAID if your PC gets hit by lightening or catches on fire. Both sets of data are toast in the same PC. RAID is for Banks and other companies that have to have instant record backup and hot swap capability. A music collection is not critical data that has to be accessed immediately, it will not kill anybody (not even me) to have to replace a drive and copy files off a USB drive to get back to listening to music.

Besides, with a Touch and a Vortexbox and a large USB hard drive most people will have all the space and backup they need. Two TBs is room for a bunch of music. Its cheaper and better data protection.

I think you've swayed off the point RAID is not a backup, its a method of covering your proverbial in the cas of a failed HDD, backups need to be organised and removed as the two most likly causes of loss of data are a) environmenal b) human error,

environmental will most likly effect both drives, power spike, water damage, physical theft......
Human Error, ie accidentally errased files etc, although QNap Nas have network recycle bin which can help with this.

W_J
2010-01-17, 09:31
To go back to the original question you can run Squeezebox server on many QNAP NAS using QPKG to install SSOTS. The QNAP site explains how to do this. Then there is no need to have your pc on when you are listening to your music.